Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Wheel paint

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2013, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel paint

So i have an evo with stock wheels and previous owner painted them a matte black and its chipping off and has some curb rash. How can i remove the black, smooth out wheel, and paint them myself. I want like a metallic purple.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 05:40 PM

Good luck finding that color. I ended up using a base purple and then a shiny purple over it. I sand, prime, paint, clear.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
They sell paint stripper to remove it for example: Aircraft paint remover
Then just resand it a little, prime and repaint then get a nice late of clear cloat to help protect it!
Old Mar 11, 2013, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

Honestly - you won't find a good strong paint in that color. Trust me, I tried. Took me 5 months just to find a good color for my emblems and other random stuff. Just powdercoat them. Local place by me charged $330 and my rims looked better than new, it was so worth it I kick myself for painting my rims the first time
Old Mar 11, 2013, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

So purple is that hard to find huh...kinda bums me out. What about a shiny gold? I bought aircraft remover but the spray can version, is that as good.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
use a shiny silver base coat and then spray metallic purple on top but best bet is to have them powder coated
Old Mar 11, 2013, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mr. PSSsSt
use a shiny silver base coat and then spray metallic purple on top but best bet is to have them powder coated
What brand? And how many clea coats go get that wet metallic look.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 07:51 PM

just go to an auto parts store that mixes paint. they should have a sample book with paint codes in it, ive found metallic purple because i was going to do that color too but decided against it. they will even put it in a rattle can for you. expect to pay close to $20 a can though
Old Mar 11, 2013, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jsayers
just go to an auto parts store that mixes paint. they should have a sample book with paint codes in it, ive found metallic purple because i was going to do that color too but decided against it. they will even put it in a rattle can for you. expect to pay close to $20 a can though
Perfect, i just need the exact purple im looking for so ill look around. 3 cans of paint should do the job? Thats not including primer or clear coat.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 08:24 PM

3 should be plenty, might not find the exact purple but \im sure youll be able to get really close
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jsayers
3 should be plenty, might not find the exact purple but \im sure youll be able to get really close
Autozone or autoadvance doesnt mix pait do they?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:13 PM

im not sure. i know napa and o'reillys do. some locations anyways. just call around if they dont im sure they know of one that does
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:38 PM

Ameron -you can get it at professional paint suppliers like HighTech. It's chemical, impact, abrasion, shock, and heat resistant, and comes in really pretty colors with metallics and and pearls. I think most distributors can color match too. I used it to have an engine bay painted and has worked out with no complaints. It's also pretty cheap, like 50 bucks for an engine bay and extra. that's what I would use. I would imagine that if you could find someone that sells it locally, you would be golden. If you have access to someone like a friend that is good with HVLP I would prep the wheels then have them do it - but you can also get rattle cans...
but yeah, I vote Ameron

PS- the gloss/matte base (whichever you pick) is mixed into the paint, and it has a super high opacity so one cote and you've got some gorgeous kicks.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TrippinKent
Ameron -you can get it at professional paint suppliers like HighTech. It's chemical, impact, abrasion, shock, and heat resistant, and comes in really pretty colors with metallics and and pearls. I think most distributors can color match too. I used it to have an engine bay painted and has worked out with no complaints. It's also pretty cheap, like 50 bucks for an engine bay and extra. that's what I would use. I would imagine that if you could find someone that sells it locally, you would be golden. If you have access to someone like a friend that is good with HVLP I would prep the wheels then have them do it - but you can also get rattle cans...
but yeah, I vote Ameron

PS- the gloss/matte base (whichever you pick) is mixed into the paint, and it has a super high opacity so one cote and you've got some gorgeous kicks.
Thanks!!! Ill look into that. My black evo is murdered out from previous owner so I wanna do black and metallic purple starting with wheels and engine bay than dealing with the brakes which are black too. An its the SSl package which is all black leather making it even darker
Old Mar 12, 2013, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

OP I PM'ed you. Hope it helps - you can always PM me back if you need anything furthur or have questions