My Evolyn - Silver VIII from Down Under - Page 2 - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Evo Show & Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

My Evolyn - Silver VIII from Down Under

Old May 16, 2017, 06:59 PM   #16

Drives: Mitsubishi Evolution 8

Thanks man! Slowly getting there haha. My goal now is to put it all back together, but really do a lot of work restoring various parts as I go. Just little things though, will slowly update this thread as I go...

The Following User Says Thank You to gotblkr For This Useful Post:
NJ9MR (May 17, 2017)
Old May 17, 2017, 02:56 AM   #17

So a big goal I have with evolyn is to maintain her as best I can. Most of the parts I took off to transfer registration were still quite new, but very dirty. Every piece I took off, I have wanted to ensure go back on in pristine condition. Hating the oem exhaust so much, going back to the 3" cannon was my priority. So some cleaning & polishing were in order:

Until finally it was clean enough to mount back on...

Old May 17, 2017, 03:01 AM   #18

Out for lunch with the family. Love my little man, and love my evo haha

Old May 17, 2017, 03:04 AM   #19

Arriving at a meet, and my wife wanted to drive...

Old May 17, 2017, 03:07 AM   #20

Picked up a Beatrush front plate mount. So much better than the stock one:

Old May 17, 2017, 03:13 AM   #21

Also treated myself to a Benen tow hook & Suichuuka shift knob:

Old May 17, 2017, 03:49 AM   #22

Even the lugs that were on the car when I bought her needed a clean badly:

Old May 18, 2017, 04:01 PM   #23
Evolving Member

Drives: 03 silver evo 8

what were the wheel specs on the works wheels? im looking into getting those but they looked a tad to wide for me

The Following User Says Thank You to tbaird58 For This Useful Post:
gotblkr (May 18, 2017)
Old May 18, 2017, 04:57 PM   #24

Work Emotion XD9 18x10 +18 & I run a 10mm spacer up front. Work no longer make this width & offset in their newer design Emotion D9R, so closest you can get are 18x9.5 or 18.10.5. 9.5 would be an easier fit on a CT9A.

The Following User Says Thank You to gotblkr For This Useful Post:
tbaird58 (May 20, 2017)
Old May 18, 2017, 07:13 PM   #25

Drives: JDM Evo IX Wagon & Evo IX sedan & Evo VIIIMR Ralliart Edition

The Evo X wheels look great on your silver 8. Nice work.

The Following User Says Thank You to uzumaki For This Useful Post:
gotblkr (May 18, 2017)
Old May 18, 2017, 11:40 PM   #26

Thanks man. You inspired me to start a thread for my progress as I have really enjoyed following your thread!

Thought I would share some pics of the car before I owned it. Previous owner had the car shot by various Australian photographers and featured in a few online publications. Some definite beautiful shots, and I hope to continue that theme with the car. It will be off the road in winters here and be more of a weekend car during spring and summer...

Last edited by gotblkr; May 19, 2017 at 02:25 AM.

Old May 19, 2017, 11:16 AM   #27

Drives: 2006 mitsubishi evo 9 gsr

that switching to stock stuff is the craziest thing ive seen...but very clean car

The Following User Says Thank You to nathanjohnson09 For This Useful Post:
gotblkr (May 19, 2017)
Old May 20, 2017, 01:03 AM   #28

I know right... Australian road laws are pretty crazy, & for me to transfer the car's registration between states it needed to be fully inspected. A lot of work but it has been fun along the way. Am trying my best to have a real hands on approach with this car. Been a lot of learning but that is what it's all about I guess. I want to service it myself, apart from the major things. Car has the same timing belt it left the factory with so big priority for me is to get a major service done, and then focus on the fluids myself. I am happy to admit I am nowhere near ready or qualified enough to do a timing belt and water pump etc on my own, youtube is not that good haha.

Spent some time on the voltex difuser recently. When I purchased the car the raw carbon inside the difuser was looking a little rough:

Nothing a bit of work and some paint can't tidy up though. Very happy with the end result:

Last edited by gotblkr; May 20, 2017 at 01:35 AM.

Old May 20, 2017, 02:38 AM   #29

So I ran into some idle issues recently with Evolyn. The day I arrived home with her from Sydney, I noticed some coolant on my carport. Sure enough a small hose directly above my IACV had come loose. Easy fix, but I think the leaking coolant damaged my IACV. Wife drove it to the supermarket the day after we took it out for a good drive the day before. Started fine, idled fine and then 5 minutes down the road, as my wife went to change gears it just died. Started again fine, but died immediately. Long story short my wife freaked out, and made me get in. Sure enough, if I started it without holding pressure on the gas she would die straight away... Got a local shop to take a look and they gave both the throttle body and the IACV a good clean,which improved things. I now have to hold down gas when I start her for about 20-30 seconds before it will idle at about 600-700 until it slowly builds revs as the motor heats up and will eventually sit at about 900rpm once fully warm.

SO... Looks like the IACV was either on its way out, which I have read is common among 2003 VIII's, or the coolant damaged it, and it finally gave up a few weeks later. I am hoping this will resolve my issue:

If a new IACV does not resolve I will start looking for boost leaks but as I had coolant leak all over it, just makes sense that is what my issue is... Will make sure I post up how the install goes and whether it fixes my idle issues. At the moment I can't run air conditioning as the revs drop too much, which is ok as we are late in Autumn here going into Winter. With 40+ degree days in summer, I will definitely need it later in the year...

Old May 20, 2017, 01:34 PM   #30
Evolving Member

Drives: 03 silver evo 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotblkr View Post
Work Emotion XD9 18x10 +18 & I run a 10mm spacer up front. Work no longer make this width & offset in their newer design Emotion D9R, so closest you can get are 18x9.5 or 18.10.5. 9.5 would be an easier fit on a CT9A.
you have any idea what offset would clear the brembos? its hard to find information on them, and 9.5 is about as wide as i would ever go so that could work out lol.

The Following User Says Thank You to tbaird58 For This Useful Post:
gotblkr (May 20, 2017)