Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

coilover help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by tbaird58
but do I really need a $2000+ set of coilover for a DD with occasional spirited drivimg though? Seems like they would go mostly unused for the driving I do.

IMO, now that I own, a quality set of dampers that ride as well as the Ohlins are even more required if the car is a DD. The FA's with Swift springs are $1650. The radial bearing is another $100. Ohlins can be had for ~$2100.

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Get a quote on the FA500's w/the added options vs the O's (let us know). The FA's are serviced / re-valved, by them, here in VA USA

The O's dont come springed correctly for the EvO (rates are backwards i.e. 10K/8k Vs 8k/10K. The O's are not custom valved like the FA's & are not serviced by them.

Get them quoted w/the Swifts, upper bearing & their new spring perch & compare. The O's dont come w/any of those options

Ohlins can be serviced in the USA, PSI in Sonoma is more than capable of service, and revalves if needed. You can also get any individual pieces/parts from PSI if you need them. They even make custom coilover kits using Ohlin's motorsports dampers.

Custom valving isn't needed for the ohlins. For the OP, being a street car, the standard rates would be fine, or he could buy a pair of 10k springs to put on the rear, or simply run the standard springs switched front to rear.

The difference between the Ohlins and all these other dampers is so worth the money. 2 guys in Vegas went from FA's to the ohlins for a reason.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
I have no experience with the FA's although I've heard great things from many folks on here! Personally I have Ohlins on my car and the quality is amazing as noted and they also ride really well. For the price they are these days if you plan to upgrade to coils while there still is a price difference of maybe $600 for the Ohlins I'd save up a lil more money and go that route.

However, the whole reason Im posting in this thread is because I dont even think the OP should get coilovers in the first place. Its just one of those things where people love the idea of being able to adjust the dampening and ride height but honestly how often is that stuff getting touched? The only time I played with ride height was when I had the car corner balanced which for a street car really no point.

I upgraded to coilovers because I wanted to run much stiffer spring rates than what is available for the factory dampers. If I didnt race my car I would still be on a Bilstein setup as its tough to beat especially for the price. Now yes the Ohlins do ride phenomenal and Im sure the FA's have a decently compliant ride as well assuming its not too stiffly sprung. But for <$1000 you can pick up a new set of Bilsteins good springs, i.e Swift Robispec Gtworx and new OEm top hats and youll have a great ride good performance and they will last longer before needing to be rebuilt.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
just got off the phone and the FA would be right at $1800 with 2 of the spring perches with the other upgrades, he says i dont really need them in the rear since there isnt much movement, and the ohlins where $2,250 and found that price on MAP since i couldnt get ahold of anyone at ohlins.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 01:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Cal these guys directly, the price will be better.

http://performanceshock.com/index.ph...oducts_id=1198
The following users liked this post:
tbaird58 (Jul 12, 2017)
Old Jul 12, 2017, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Cal these guys directly, the price will be better.

http://performanceshock.com/index.ph...oducts_id=1198
i just got off the phone with them and they are really cool guys, if i do get it through them he said he can sell them to me for $1912 and since sonoma is only 2ish hours away from me i can just pick them up and save on some shipping. plus they will do all the revalving i would want when the 30k service comes up so i may just go that route since they are local and i wont have to ship my set up out to VA. i appreciate all the feedback. i think ohlins may have stole my heart lol
Old Jul 12, 2017, 04:15 PM
EvoM Guru

That's an awesome price. I paid a bit more for mine, but it would seem they adjust how much discount they give based on whether or not they're revalving them right off the bat. I had mine redone for 12k rear springs before they were shipped to me.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
That's an awesome price. I paid a bit more for mine, but it would seem they adjust how much discount they give based on whether or not they're revalving them right off the bat. I had mine redone for 12k rear springs before they were shipped to me.
yeah they take 15% off if you get them the way ohlins has them and if you want a revalve they take 5% off so since what i want isnt far off of their standard damping i will just do that until i need a rebuild. im sure no matter what i get will ride better than what i am using now so i will be happy.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Honestly if I got that good of a deal on the O's I would have went with them.

I love my FA's but I also got a really good price for them fully upgraded. Still, O's at 1912 is a good price, and I believe I would have bought them over FA's for that price difference.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 09:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
I'm late to the discussion, but I'll add that:

- 8K/8K is totally streetable.

- I think that even 9K/9K or perhaps even 10K/10K are streetable depending on your ride comfort standards and roads.

- From what I can tell, ride quality is more strongly affected by the damper than the spring. I have driven an 11K/11K Evo with Ohlins R&T, and it was pretty streetable.

- Ohlins R&T on 8K springs DD better than MR Bilsteins with GTWorx springs.

- The high quality spherical bearing on the front top-hats of the Ohlins makes them worth the price over less expensive coilovers. I have no spring bind issues.

- Anyone know how much shock travel the FA 500s have?

- Not considering AST coilovers?