Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Best brakes?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2008, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^ One piece rotors FTL and yes, the stock setup sucks if you actually drive the car hard. I recommend getting a 2 piece rotor, depending on your needs. Will take care of any warping issues.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

OK here I go resurrecting this dead thread but I do have cause...

Nevermind "Brownbos", I have "Blackbos"! My stock calipers are completely black and the lettering has turned bright orange

So you could say I'm having some heat issues.

For anyone who wants to try and convince me that the stock brakes can handle track duty: I track regularly (every month at least, usually the quickest car on the circuit unless the Radicals or Open Saloon guys are there) and compete in 2 autoX-style series. Currently running stock calipers, PF97 pads and PF 2 piece floating rotors with RBF600 fluid and SS lines. Before my last trackday (yesterday actually) I totally bled out and swapped in fresh fluid and had an AMS ducting kit fitted to my car, hoping that it would cure the really bad fluid fade I've been getting during track sessions since the dawn of time (or at least as long as I've been tracking the Evo). It didn't work - fluid fade bigtime after 10-15 minutes in each 20 minute session. Pedal almost all the way to the floor

I do drive very aggressively - to the limit all the time - but my goal is to make the car last for 3 full 20 minute sessions with quick-as-possible lap times and no reliability issues since I plan on joining a Touring Car-style race series next year (format is 2 20 minute heats for each event).

Therefore, I'm really interested about any updates on the 17 inch Alcon kit as I've seen it around for sale now (Vivid Racing website). However, looking at AMS's site for the 14 inch 6 pot Alcon BBK it would appear that that kit fits with 17s as well:

http://www.amsperformance.com/store/...oducts_id=1348
(look carefully at the sidewall of the tires in the pics at the bottom of the product page)

I prefer to run 17s for lighter weight and better ride characteristics. Would love to run the 14 inch Alcon kit with my 17 inch RFP1 wheels if AMS's site is for real.

Otherwise I'd like to know how the 17 inch kit (13 and 13.4 inch rotors) performs compated to the 14 inch kit, and whether the 17 inch kit could meet my needs (have already heard ogvw's talk about the 14 inch system so no doubts there).

Need to know whether I can solve my braking issues while keeping the 17s or if I'm looking at a huge cost to upgrade to a BBK and big 18 inch wheels to fit it (not to mention extra cost of going wider on the rubber, since new wheels would be a good time to explore that)!

Hoping that ogvw or robi or someone with track experience can shed some light. Am looking to enter Open Saloon myself so would be nice to have brakes that can last the entire race

Last edited by theshadow; Feb 9, 2008 at 08:53 AM.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 01:55 PM

(Newbie to this forum,howdy all)

BIG vote for Pagid RS29s. Just did a track day last Sunday.

Bought them late last eyar and it was the single greatest improvement I've made to the Evil8.

Got them from www.Rennstore.com - GREAT prices

Nice guy whith a ton of track experience who races his Evo and a killer 500+hp Porsche. He stocks them on a regular basis.

You've GOT to:

1) Use Motul RBF600 or Castrol SRF brake fluid
2) Add cooling deflectors - anything to get more air to the rotors
3) Pagid RS29 pads

Folks, I had MASSIVE warpage, brown calipers, all sorts of trouble.
Now......none.