Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Best Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2006, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went with Ksport which i ordered from GSC! Very nice Spring rate 9kg front with pillow ball camber plates/ 7kg back! Has adjustible ride height and spring rate seperately so you dont loose any suspension travel! 32 way adjustible dampening and a $1100 pricetag make it an affordable setup!

Old Jan 9, 2006, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

I have a set of the hks hypermax rs on my mr and to tell you the truth i have great handling but im not blow away especially for the price
Old Jan 9, 2006, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by brandonbigdog
I went with Ksport which i ordered from GSC! Very nice Spring rate 9kg front with pillow ball camber plates/ 7kg back! Has adjustible ride height and spring rate seperately so you dont loose any suspension travel! 32 way adjustible dampening and a $1100 pricetag make it an affordable setup!

+1 for probably the best bang for the buck
Old Jan 9, 2006, 09:24 PM
Evolving Member

I always use H&R on all my cars. I know the guys there and their systems just seem to always do what I ask. Also if price is a concern, they are not the most expensive.

H&R = simple but efective. And now they offer custom springs to tune with.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chrisw
Vishnu and Works are the only 2 shops that I know of (off the top of my head) that carry the ohlins.

don't forget RRC
Old Jan 9, 2006, 09:28 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

Buying the correct parts is only half the battle. You also need to correct spring rates and dampening -- and this needs to be complimented with the correct alignment.

Check out the Vishnu version of the Ohlins. There were developed by Paul Gerrard (Chronohunter). This required extensive testing including a shock dyno. They are an exceptional product. Extremely fast around the track and also very streetable!

"Number one 4wd, top level EVO, even in Japan!" - Best Motoring's Keiichi Tsuchiya on a Vishnu-tuned customer car- 12/20/05
Old Jan 9, 2006, 11:12 PM

Ditto on Ohlins
Old Jan 10, 2006, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

where can I get more info on the ksports?? what are they comparable too?
Old Jan 10, 2006, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

bump for more info.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 11:27 AM

I have run the Tenabe Sustec pros...very good for street but not so much for competition.

I have since swapped for the Megan Racing system and I like them a lot. Bang for the buck they look like they are made by the same company as the ones pictured above.

Pillow ball uppers, 32 way dampening, 2 way height adjustment.....all billet and steel...full threaded body are all nice features.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

i had a nice chat with Adam from Z1Auto....and he recomended something new hes carrying, ATS. Check em out...the price is right for the sportline 2's....and it looks good.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im ordering coilovers for my IX MR pretty soon, and i'm pretty much set on Buddy Club Racing specs 10k f 10k r
Old Jan 10, 2006, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Check out the RRE modified ones....they seem nice.

Again I was talking to Adam from Z1 and he recomended these highly, explainin just a few things that were over my head but here

http://www.ast-suspension.com/products.asp?language=en
Old Jan 10, 2006, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bspeed
Chris... I have mine for sale here... Custom tuned for roaf course work. Tuned with higher rebound damping. I paid $3k for the shocks and tuning. Plus springs, pillow mounts and camber plates. Someone can get a great deal if the buy mine...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...21#post2702421
feldguy, I would jump on these ohlins if I didnt' already have a set
Old Jan 10, 2006, 07:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by chrisw
I'll put another plug for the ohlins since they are about half the cost of the DMS with almost the same level of performance.
I would agree that stock for stock the Ohlins are behind the DMS's, however like the rest of our EVO's who wants "stock" anything . With the Ohlins re-valved and matched to the entire suspension set-up they are well ahead of the DMS's or anything else for that matter, yes even off the shelf Motons etc.

Once you buy a quality Shock it is matching of the components (valving, springs, bushings, alignement, ride height, tires, pressures etc.) that make the car out-handle others (and out ride them to ). BTW "valving" does not mean twirling of the external adjusters (which does little or nothing on most shocks to compensate for a track worthy spring rate).

Vishnu has spent a entire year systematically testing, on the same car, only changing one variable at a time to develop a staged system of components that complement individually custom valved Ohlins from mild to wild (as they say ).

To give you an idea of the lap time improvement of "the system" vs. stock Ohlins my car went from a 1:16.2 down to a 1:13.7 on the same tires and spring rates, the car holds the street car track record at the track (the now closed Second Creek Raceway ). That is with very streetable spring rates that yield a better ride that a stock EVO. Check out the "American Touge" thread on the Vishnu forums for more info

Last edited by chronohunter; Jan 10, 2006 at 07:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Best Coilovers