Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Best Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Coilovers

I would like to poll the results and maybe sticky everyones results with coilovers.

Tein, JIC (Not a Fan from what Ive seen and heard), Cusco, Buddy Club, Zeal, DMS etc etc.

The thing is, for a street car, I dont find it necessary to go NUTS with a set of 7,000 dollar coilovers. Then there are the modified ones by RRE, Mueller, Robi...etc.

The point is there are coilovers that are expensive and worth it. There are coilovers that are cheap and are not even worth their cost There are mid grade units that perform as well as coilovers that are twice the price. It is THAT segement I am curious of bringing to light......dollar for dollar, customized for our cars and perform as well as anything out there for basic track/street/strip use.

I was looking at Tanabe's new electronic piece and Teins SRC with dual EDFC's....I like gadgets. Adam (Z1Auto ) will probably roll his eyes at this but I want your input too, SLICK!
Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Don't leave out Ohlins.

The guys who autox or road race swear by them. Even at the high price!!!
Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

you can find alot on this if you search... I have the cusco zero 2's with the e-con! i like them alot very simple and not alot of ride harshness. Not really too expensive either, check out nukabe at naps.com if you wanna look them up!
Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

I know about the seach button, but I want to compile experiences instead of reading extraneous posts. You really like the Zero 2es, huh? couldnt find jack on those anywhere....how does the electronic unit work?
Old Jan 8, 2006, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chmodlf
Don't leave out Ohlins.

The guys who autox or road race swear by them. Even at the high price!!!
yes the price of the ohlins is well worth it.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 08:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Biased I know because I sell and set them up...DMS 50's every one of my customers wonder how I can get so much track performance with the fantastic street ride...
Search for "nils" and check out his ride...beautiful car and an absolute rocket at the track.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Jic.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

what are dms 50's?? I"m looking at getting coilovers for my autocross evo. The stock shocks and aftermarket springs just aren't enough for me. Where can I find more info on these. I've been looking at jic,and zeals.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 09:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Call David Buschur..as how he liked them on his RS that went to C&D's Shootout.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

whoa! 5grand a set they better be sweet!!!
Old Jan 9, 2006, 12:47 PM
Former Sponsor

I think the NASA west coast TT results for 05 speak for themselves,,,TTUnlimited class 1st and 2nd using STOCK turbo Evos with DMS 50's...TTA class My Bud Russ Warr with a WRX and DMS 50's..uh won that too...2 fastest classes multiple track records...not bad for a couple of "grocery carts"... there was an Audi with 10K Penskes only car within a few seconds of the champions...Our new Bumper stickers for the new season..."Why own a sports car" and if your car is such a fast Sports car why did you just let a FOUR DOOR pass you???

Last edited by robi; Jan 9, 2006 at 12:51 PM.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

what do a decent set of Ohlins run? I used to have a shock absorber on my Kawasaki ZX12R and the quality was stunning. It doesnt have all the cool lookin sharp edges and appealing finishs, but the quality the pieces are second to very few...
Old Jan 9, 2006, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

oh I'm sure there awsome, I just can't afford 5g's
Old Jan 9, 2006, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CarFanatic
whoa! 5grand a set they better be sweet!!!
DMS have some of the baddest coilovers around. You can literally prezel your EVO around a tree, rip the struts out of the carcuss and put them in a new EVO and keep on running...

I had a set in my old WRX and those struts could eat up the worst punishment I could throw at them and beg for more....

DMS is proof that you get what you pay for. If I had the $$$ they would be on my EVO.

But in the mean time, I'll put another plug for the ohlins since they are about half the cost of the DMS with almost the same level of performance.

Originally Posted by feldguy
what do a decent set of Ohlins run? I used to have a shock absorber on my Kawasaki ZX12R and the quality was stunning. It doesnt have all the cool lookin sharp edges and appealing finishs, but the quality the pieces are second to very few...
A good set of Ohlins will run you in the $2500-$3000 range. this price should include camber plates and rear top hats.

Vishnu and Works are the only 2 shops that I know of (off the top of my head) that carry the ohlins.

Last edited by chrisw; Jan 9, 2006 at 05:39 PM.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 05:43 PM

Chris... I have mine for sale here... Custom tuned for road course work. Tuned with higher rebound damping. I paid $3k for the shocks and tuning. Plus springs, pillow mounts and camber plates. Someone can get a great deal if the buy mine...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...21#post2702421

Last edited by Bspeed; Jan 12, 2006 at 04:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Best Coilovers