Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

My coilovers squeak!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2006, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Try lubricating the various parts that could potentially rub against one another with silicone grease. CRC makes an aerosol can version you can spray on the parts. You'll be surprised with the results ...
DO NOT use CRC or any other spray lube that can be used as a degreaser or used to break seized nuts. Ideally, you want a spray lube that is not a penetrating oil. I use TRI-Flow teflon spray lube (bicycle chain lube).

The penetrating oil can potentially damage the seals, bushings, and break down the grease in the strut body, making the problem worse over time.

(been there done that)
Old Sep 6, 2006, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisw
DO NOT use CRC or any other spray lube that can be used as a degreaser or used to break seized nuts. Ideally, you want a spray lube that is not a penetrating oil. I use TRI-Flow teflon spray lube (bicycle chain lube).

The penetrating oil can potentially damage the seals, bushings, and break down the grease in the strut body, making the problem worse over time.

(been there done that)
Good point ... I was talking about the silicone weatherproof spray in a can ... would that hurt the seals?

Last edited by DaWorstPlaya; Sep 6, 2006 at 01:42 PM.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know. You have to make sure that you use a lube that will not break down the grease in the strut body, that would be your primary concern.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 03:52 PM

So anyone with hks hipermax pro & squeaks too? besides derek's friend. Cos wanna know if mine is an isolated case or common occurance among this model.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

its quite normal for pillowball upper mounts to squeak.

Did your friends coilovers include pillowball upper mounts?

If so, maybe swap your HKS Pillowball upper mounts that came on your coilovers to the same type yours friends has, u can usually buy them standalone and they will of course fit.

Also your friends coilovers might have reused the stock uppers meaning rubber tops and far less chance to squeak (usually none).

Tein's coilovers can now come revalved for street or more poor road condition and will last, not blow up, and shouldnt squeak. However the pillowball tops PROBABLY will

All u can do is like everyone says. clean them right off, make sure everythings tight (dont tighten anything too much more or it might shear) and yeah get a wheel alignment make sure everythings exactly right and then, live with it as annoying as that is.

Trav
Old Sep 6, 2006, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

In my experience all coil overs make noise until the springs settle.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

noise is pretty general though. a graunching sound like deep rubby grinding is definately spring movement, or arm movement, a squeak is usually a washer or boot cover or bearing or bush, etc.

Trav
Old Sep 6, 2006, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

i guess you could say it's like the brakes. performance brakes will squeal every so often. it's normal so i wouldnt' worry about it too much. Same thing with my flex coilovers. they squeak here an there, but its not too noticeable. Are you going to be trackign your car at all or is it just gonna be a street car? if its just for the street, then you kinda screwed yourself over with those. good luck
Old Sep 7, 2006, 07:40 PM

Had mine coilovers adjusted 8 clicks down towards a softer damping. I must say ride quality improved trememdeously & squeaking sort of got softer. Veri happy with the feel of the car now....except the squeak though. Well....as wat troe666 says....must be the pillow mounts. Anyway, seems i am getting used to it.

PS: Not possible to be any worn parts cos the coilovers are like barely 3 weeks old.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by PKEVO8
i guess you could say it's like the brakes. performance brakes will squeal every so often. it's normal so i wouldnt' worry about it too much. Same thing with my flex coilovers. they squeak here an there, but its not too noticeable. Are you going to be trackign your car at all or is it just gonna be a street car? if its just for the street, then you kinda screwed yourself over with those. good luck
Yeah....agree with the track concept. Well...as it is mainly a daily driven car, trackdays will be few & far between thus far. Unless i get bitten by the track bug...if time permits.
The reason i got the Pro (Spring 12/10 lbs) is cos i dunno wanna compromise on track sessions even if its once every 2 mths.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 01:12 AM
Evolving Member

my friend has ohlins - no squeaks

mine - no squeaks with current setup either.
i had the zeal function v6 coilovers b4 and there was clicking sound. went to vendor many times, told me was normal, one of the rep offered me a ride on his car with the same setup - he claims it was normal just like his, but i heard nothing on his, then vendor tried to brush me off. so i went to another vendor to have it checked out, told me immediately that it shouldn't make any abnormal sounds, helped me shipped back to endless usa to fix, and turned out that the coilover was leaking grease.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 01:20 AM
Evolving Member

i have hks hipermax. mine clank and rattle and clunk like hell. when i took mine into my mechanic, he thought that it might be the strut inside the coilover. but then i heard it was a common occurence among coilovers, so i never went ahead with anything
Old Dec 3, 2006, 01:43 AM
Evolved Member

Buddy Club race spec

Well the front squaek a little bit when the spring compresses. i know this because it only happens when I pull in and out of the garage (un uniform floor) and when I go over the speed bumps in my complex.

I checked everything and it all seems clean and tight. there is a little bit of dirt on the springs and between the springs and upper and lover seats, but I doubt that is the cause.

My car is pretty low too specially in the front which is were it squeaks more, althought I must say it handles like a dream.

oh- well so i guess its normal

Last edited by Profoxcg; Dec 3, 2006 at 01:48 AM.