Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

NEED HELP! odd Tire wear

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEED HELP! odd Tire wear

Just like the title says, my tire wear is kinda odd! It's time for new tires, now i'm going on my 3rd set. My advans lasted roughly around 28000 miles. This set was Yokohama 245/45/18 Es100 AVS. And they actually lasted 17000 miles. Okay heres the thing, my right front side tire was completely bald. Rear tires had some tread on them and left front had a little tread on them. but my front right again was completly bald! I also noticed that alot of rubber debris was accumulating on my front lower side skirt. Why would the right side wear more then the others??? It's not a camber issue because the whole tire is bald not just the inner. Can anyone give me an explanation on this so I could correct it. thanks in advance

-Rich
Old Jan 19, 2007, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

First of all - 28,000 miles on the Advans!!!!!! I got 12K and thought I was lucky....

Next, when's the last time you had an alignment? I get mine checked twice a year and get an alignment if it needs it to prevent uneven wear. That's my suggestion.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WagsEvo
First of all - 28,000 miles on the Advans!!!!!! I got 12K and thought I was lucky....

Next, when's the last time you had an alignment? I get mine checked twice a year and get an alignment if it needs it to prevent uneven wear. That's my suggestion.

Actually never got an alignment. Car doesn't pull left or right so I didn't think I needed one
Old Jan 19, 2007, 12:22 PM

do you make nothing but right turns?
Old Jan 19, 2007, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by quiksilverevo26
Actually never got an alignment. Car doesn't pull left or right so I didn't think I needed one
Wrong - an alignment is much more than pulling left or right. Id get one or at least have my alignment spec'd out to make sure its ok. You could have toe issues. Even from the factory the alignment have been off. Changing things like suspension, tire size, rims size... will all change the cars alignment.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 12:25 PM

seriously though, i'm guessing you have a 03 or 04 evo with the open front diff? isn't it normal for one tire to wear faster than the other with an open diff?
Old Jan 19, 2007, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

yeah I have a 04. Doesn't have front lsd. That could also be the issue. But for sure gonna get alignment when I put on the new set of tires
Old Jan 19, 2007, 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by quiksilverevo26
Just like the title says, my tire wear is kinda odd! It's time for new tires, now i'm going on my 3rd set. My advans lasted roughly around 28000 miles. This set was Yokohama 245/45/18 Es100 AVS. And they actually lasted 17000 miles. Okay heres the thing, my right front side tire was completely bald. Rear tires had some tread on them and left front had a little tread on them. but my front right again was completly bald! I also noticed that alot of rubber debris was accumulating on my front lower side skirt. Why would the right side wear more then the others??? It's not a camber issue because the whole tire is bald not just the inner. Can anyone give me an explanation on this so I could correct it. thanks in advance

-Rich
this actually happened to my advans... on my evo viii.... replaced at 15,000 miles
Old Jan 19, 2007, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
I would generally say alignment.... but since it's just the right front. If you're laying down the power hard at every right hander, it's probaby lighting up the right front tire because of the lack of a LSD. But you should be able to feel that happening.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by *******
do you make nothing but right turns?
actually that'll be left turns, since it's his right front that's bald.
open differential shouldn't affect tire wear unless you do a standing still burnouts and only one front tire spins, or you power out of corners making inside front tire spin. (like speedracerut said) considering that he got 26000 on his advans, i highly doubt either scenario.
in general, my left front wears out quicker since there are more right hand jug handles and exits which i take fast, plus right hand 90 degree turns on the streets.
the thrust angle on your car might be off or the toe. definitely go to a tire/alignment shop.

Last edited by JoizeeX; Jan 19, 2007 at 05:18 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe he has a Fat passenger? Well just rotate the Tires more often. Evos come factory with some Negative camber, but you may need an alignment. Just get the wheels aligned, put new tires on. And rotate them Every oilchange or so.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by JoizeeX
actually that'll be left turns, since it's his right front that's bald.
open differential shouldn't affect tire wear unless you do a standing still burnouts and only one front tire spins, or you power out of corners making inside front tire spin. (like speedracerut said) considering that he got 26000 on his advans, i highly doubt either scenario.
in general, my left front wears out quicker since there are more right hand jug handles and exits which i take fast, plus right hand 90 degree turns on the streets.
the thrust angle on your car might be off or the toe. definitely go to a tire/alignment shop.
I was going to say the same thing o well ya beat me
Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:43 PM

Im an alignment tech.... it could have some toe issues.... definitely the fact that is not lsd is an issue. The one powered wheel will always take more of the hit. Its no big deal if you need to replace em anyway...

I would recommend that you do get an alignment and that you rotate your tires every 3k-5k miles. I'll help you save some tire wear.

If they are directional tires...you you could have a tire place dismount and mount ure 2 front tires after so many miles that way you can get even tire wear or some what more out of your front tires (if you dont rotate)
Old Jan 30, 2007, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Related Question

I have an 2006 IX with 7300 miles, this mean I have had 2 oil changes and rotaded twice...

so at 6k miles when i rotaded my backs to the front they had thread on them.. but a few days ago I notice that my front right is almost bald compared to the left tire; my rears look great still...

What could cause this so fast?!! specially on the right tire...
to make things more interesting I am running the back of the car a little lower than stock height since I have not had a chance to change coilover in the front. (this has been the case for one month already)

so Im at a stock height at the front...
Old Jan 30, 2007, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Profoxcg
I have an 2006 IX with 7300 miles, this mean I have had 2 oil changes and rotaded twice...

so at 6k miles when i rotaded my backs to the front they had thread on them.. but a few days ago I notice that my front right is almost bald compared to the left tire; my rears look great still...

What could cause this so fast?!! specially on the right tire...
to make things more interesting I am running the back of the car a little lower than stock height since I have not had a chance to change coilover in the front. (this has been the case for one month already)

so Im at a stock height at the front...
definitely check your alignment, it could be off after a number of miles or rough road driving as well as after installing coilovers.
you might also need to have your car properly adjusted for corner weights, because with different cross weight you can get uneven tire wear.
corner weighing is when they adjust coilover height so that the combined weight on diagonally opposite corners is 50% of total weight. that is what you want to have, especially on a precise car like the evo, with its stiff chassis and suspension

Quick Reply: NEED HELP! odd Tire wear