Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Got aligned twice, still not straight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2008, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Have them fix it. They probably set the alignment based off one of the wheels as it sat, so that they only had to adjust one wheel instead of both (lazy, in a hurry, just don't care). IE: they turned the steering wheel so that toe was zero on the left front, then adjusted the right wheel to zero out toe. They need to put the steering wheel straight, then adjust both wheels.

Or, go to a real alignment shop. I have the lifetime alignment at Firestone, but I BSed with the tech a bunch and he loves Evos so he does it right for me now.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do performance alignments for Evos all the time. Most "normal" alignment shops don't take into account the driver's weight when performing an alignment. Typically the car will align straight on a rack without the driver's weight but, once the driver's weight is place in the car the alignment specs all change to favor the left and can possibly cause the car to pull to the left.

At 5 degrees though it sounds like the shop didn't align the steering wheel during the alignment. The Evos are very tricky when adjusting toe. You can set one side and the steering wheel is straight than move to the other side, adjust toe, and everything is off.

It sounds like the shop that did the alignment either was in a hurry, didn't know the ins and outs of an Evo or just simply weren't competent enough to do the work.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow, quite a response I'll go find the printout here shortly. FWIW, I had it aligned at two different places.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

sorry it's a little blury. This is the most recent alignment with the Swift springs. I can post up the previous one with the Teins if anyone thinks that might be useful.

I have free alignments for a year with NTB. The first alignment was at the NTB that AMS uses for all* their alignment stuff, so needless to say, they do LOTS of Evos. Unfortunately, I was watching the tech as he finished up my car, and he first tried to back it out with a chock still under the wheel and the chain behind the bay, then when I yelled at him to stop and get out and move the stuff, he hit my door on a metal stepladder that was sitting to close to the car(I had JUST bought the car, was no happy). The most recent alignment was at another NTB.

*AMS now does in-house alignments and corner balancing, but all their standard alignments go to NTB.

Last edited by derekste; Sep 20, 2008 at 09:19 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Craig King
Are you the original owner? Has the car been wrecked before? If the car took a hit in the right spots, it cosmetically could've been fixed, but the alignment will never quite be the same.

Same thing happened on my previous car. Previous owner had hit a curb, got it fixed, it never showed up on the car fax, but never could get the alignment completely straight.
No, not the original owner. Car was checked out by AMS before I bought it, and although it was in a small fender bender in the rear, it is free of any damage that should affect this (I believe).

Originally Posted by MuslimEvoFreak
Yes get a visual printout. Some alignment shops don't perform that great of an alignment especially if they are in a hurry. How much do you weigh if you don't mind me asking?
I'm a solid 215. When I got the car aligned the first time, I asked if they would do it with me in the car. They said no

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
kapture2k - tires can also do that. You could also road test the tires on the balance machine. If they are out of spec - replace.
Was also going to ask this. I think because of the stupid Teins, I got some mad camber wear on the tires. Their crappy cheap dunlop summer tires that are almost toast, so when I get my winter tires put on I will definitely get it aligned again.

Originally Posted by dedlewamp
The crown of some roads will cause the car to pull a bit to the right, so try the fast lane on the highway to see if it still pulls.

Check tire pressures and rotate them to see if it goes away as well.
Done all of this. It is definitely the car.

Originally Posted by jzapatajr
TAKE IT BACK and just tell them the wheel is off center. They should be able to fix it.
I resently got my alignment done and had to take it back because the wheel was not centered. But they got it right the 2nd time.
I did this, no luck. I have heard of unscrupulous shops just taking it off and rotating it one tooth in the other direction. While this might fix my problem, I don't want a band-aid.

Originally Posted by Silver05Bullet
go to a better alignment place, they should be able to adjust it so the wheel is straight when your going straight, some places have lifetime warranty or like a 2 year alignment deal keep taking it back till they get it right
If I can't get it sorted out at NTB, car will go to AMS for alignment and corner balance.

Pic of me at the AMS track day last weekend for help!: http://thefrost.net/randomfiles/rand...h/DSC08161.JPG
Old Sep 20, 2008, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Anybody know of a good place in NJ that does alignments for a fair price?
Old Sep 20, 2008, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

When you let go of the wheel, does it pull to one direction?
Old Sep 20, 2008, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SHhhhh
When you let go of the wheel, does it pull to one direction?
It likes to pull to the right, yes.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

pull or drift

There's nothing in that printout that would make the car pull, it's not the way I would align an EVO but it's not far off. 5 degrees out is nothing. Rotate the tires again.

Last edited by cfdfireman1; Sep 20, 2008 at 01:13 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Like I have stated before, have them perform the alignment while you are in the car.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

The negative camber on the LF and LR is not helping you, and probably a contributing factor to your problem. Most alignment shops play with the camber and caster to offset the effects of road crown (road slopes to the right shoulder). The camber settings you currently have, along with the road crown is taking the car to the right.

If the more negative camber was on thr RF and RR, this would most likely work with the road crown to get the car straight down the road.

One question: Does the car pull more to the right after the most recent alignment?
Old Sep 22, 2008, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
There's nothing in that printout that would make the car pull, it's not the way I would align an EVO but it's not far off. 5 degrees out is nothing. Rotate the tires again.
Using your chart as a reference, it could be as bad as 10* or even 15* off on flat roads.

Originally Posted by SHhhhh
One question: Does the car pull more to the right after the most recent alignment?
I don't think so, but it is hard to quantify. I'll get the other sheet posted just so we can speculate which alignment was worse

Last edited by derekste; Sep 22, 2008 at 02:10 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

my car goes to the right after my allignment as well, however if the wheel is traight it drives straight, soon as i let go it goes about 5 degrees(steering wheel) to the right and starts to head right...if i'm traveling on the highway and let go, it appears to keep going straight....i swaped the front left and right tires and same issue