Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

For those with front end "clunking"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2009, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evoluvin
ive had the same problem... i think its the strut....
Yeah that's what mine was... I also noticed because the right side bottomed out when I went into pot holes... roads in Boston are f!@#$% up

You dodge one pot hole to land in another one... and forget taking it up with the city. It's only being placed on top of a tower full of other pending cases
Old Mar 19, 2009, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by guapoholic
Yeah that's what mine was... I also noticed because the right side bottomed out when I went into pot holes... roads in Boston are f!@#$% up

You dodge one pot hole to land in another one... and forget taking it up with the city. It's only being placed on top of a tower full of other pending cases
lol i know what you mean most of my family are from boston... and i remember going to the sox game and hitting every pot hole lol... but here in baltimore it isnt any better at all!!!
Old Apr 9, 2009, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

I have a similar clunk except it comes from beneath my feet, and has gotten progessively worse. Seems like weather also plays a part in it. What the hell could it be? It's definitely doesn't sound like the strut, because it's coming from directly underneath, possibly toward the center of the car. Swaybar possibly? Also my friend ran over a nasty curb, and did damage to the fender/wheel/knuckle (passenger side) a while ago. Is it possible he could've knocked something loose down there? Weird thing is first time I noticed it was after I was dynoed.

Last edited by SRT-TO-EVO; Apr 9, 2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 06:21 PM
lem

i had some clunking also on the front , the wierd part is that when i lowered my car it dissapeared. the only thing i can thing of is that there was some loose parts some where in the struts. i actually thought it was my down pipe coz i started hearing it just right after i installed it. i started adding more washers to my brace to give it more clearance to no avail.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by anthony_86gt
My noise comes and goes. There was a post I found from someone having the bottom rubber part where the spring sits trimmed, because it traps rocks in there. It causes the spring to bind up from the rocks being in the way. Here is where I found it along with a TON of more info. Hope this helps. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-noise-11.html

thats what happened to me as well this winter , but I was making squeaking noises. I cleaned out the spring and problem solved. This was for a squaking noise. The biggest culprit would be ball joints (OEM) if you put in aftermarket springs it puts more stress ont he OEM balljoints.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:33 PM

Well my Evo 9 has 44klms/26miles on it...coil overs...and does the same thing...sounds like I dropped a wrench in behind the engine and its knocking against the body...mainly does it..well its more noticable at low speeds on roads with the samllest bumps...feels suspension related as it does it as the suspension move....I replaced sway bar end links with Whitlelines..its just come back after being gone for 2 weeks..worse than ever...has me stumped...sometimes..last time...was left side (passenger in OZ)..now its back drivers side...wher it originally started...next step fo me is sway bay rubbers..ordered...that looks like a great job...NOT!...I am usually good at getting this stuff but I am tearing my hair out....my tuner was in the car doing a power run with me 2 days ago and he was aghast...he drives a Nissan GTR...he said it sounds like the front end is going to drop out..Dealer wants to do the ears thing...at $110 an hour...and I am not confident they will find it anyway...I am seriously at my wits end with it....might just unload it..nice car but my WRX or R32 GTR never gave me this grief...