Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Do Fender braces work?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2009, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
It took me 5hrs to completely finish from beginning to end. Some parts were tricky, the rest was straightforward. I have a how-to already written up. I just haven't had the time to draw some arrows in the photos I took yet. If you need the instructions now, PM me your email address and I can send you a doc.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Martinez
Very nice to see the install. Does anyone have pics of an 02-06 lancer with the fender off for compairson?
No one? Ok, I do happen to have one. I was being lazy and not wanting to find it, but I have. Its not the best, but looks the same.

Attachment 311254

Last edited by Juan Martinez; Feb 11, 2018 at 08:13 AM.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 02:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been doing write-ups on my Evolution IX project car. Here is the one on how the fender braces went in:

http://jimsgarage.wordpress.com/2009...new-stability/

Jim
Old Jul 27, 2009, 03:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 06:30 AM

Thanks !
Old Sep 4, 2009, 09:21 AM

other than stiffening the chassis does it improve the handling?
Old Sep 4, 2009, 12:09 PM

What do you mean other than stiffening the chassis? That is what handling is all about.

Stiffening the chassis provides predictability and repeatability on the track.

Under fender braces improve the steering response, allow for more precise tuning of the alignment as well.

Maybe it is just because I have the time on road racing tracks that I am surprised at your question - I don't mean to be rude.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

just curious, but if you get hit (or hit something) on the front corner, might impact forces transmitted to the door hinges torque them enough to possibly prevent one from being able to open the door?
Old Sep 20, 2009, 04:59 AM

Actually I have experienced just such a hit on the track (VIR) back in March 2009. My Evo spun in turn 17 and struck the tire wall with the driver's front ripping off the bumper cover and further rotating the whole driver's side into tire wall. The force was enough to flip the tirewall on to its side (cost me $100 to have them put it back in place).

All doors and windows still worked. The fender brace actually kept the front crush zone from crushing and the car was still driveable with the exception that the ACD hydraulics were also ripped off the front and empty of fluid.

Yes - an impact could be hard enough and at the right angle that the forces would jam the door, but that could also happen without the braces in place.

Frankly the Evo frame is very impressive. It took quite a hit and still held up. With or without the under fender braces.

http://jimsgarage.wordpress.com/2009/04/05/whoops/
The following users liked this post:
Nix_77 (Oct 21, 2021)
Old Sep 22, 2009, 12:33 AM

There was a write up in one of the mags, Modified, Import tuner, can't remember. I might still have the article, but it had nothing but good things to say about these braces.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 12:59 AM

those are bad ***. thats definate on my list.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Thoe99
Here they are.

u had to drill a hole at the top right?

any issues with the nagisa rubbing with tire/coming close to anything?
Old Apr 28, 2011, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
u had to drill a hole at the top right?

any issues with the nagisa rubbing with tire/coming close to anything?
The Nagisa brace is well designed. Robert from Robispec told me that this mod stiffens and improves the car as much as the front roll center kit benefits suspension geometry. I had absolutely no problems with tire rub. It was far from the tire. The hole was pretty easy to drill with titanium coated drill bits. If you are buying this mod, line everything up and drill the hole AFTER you have lowered the car back onto the ground and jumped on the door step area a few times to get the car settled. My buddy didn't do this (they don't tell you in the instructions)...he drilled/bolted everything with the car jacked up, so when he set it down, the door wasn't closing correctly. That alone proves that the front end of the car does twist and flex.

In terms of user-felt improvement, it's hard to notice anything improved. However, I can theorize that if the car is stiffer, your alignment specs won't get as skewed when you're on the tracks taking turns.
The following users liked this post:
Blue Evo 8 (Jan 30, 2018)
Old Apr 28, 2011, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Thoe99
The Nagisa brace is well designed. Robert from Robispec told me that this mod stiffens and improves the car as much as the front roll center kit benefits suspension geometry. I had absolutely no problems with tire rub. It was far from the tire. The hole was pretty easy to drill with titanium coated drill bits. If you are buying this mod, line everything up and drill the hole AFTER you have lowered the car back onto the ground and jumped on the door step area a few times to get the car settled. My buddy didn't do this (they don't tell you in the instructions)...he drilled/bolted everything with the car jacked up, so when he set it down, the door wasn't closing correctly. That alone proves that the front end of the car does twist and flex.

In terms of user-felt improvement, it's hard to notice anything improved. However, I can theorize that if the car is stiffer, your alignment specs won't get as skewed when you're on the tracks taking turns.
crazy.. are you saying the chassis flexed just while it was up on jacks? i've left my car up on jacks for 3months+ lol

it didnt fit right from the springs needing to settle right - the actual chassis needed to settle?
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:45 PM

good thread, ive always wondered if they id anyting too

Quick Reply: Do Fender braces work?