Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Do Fender braces work?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2011, 04:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a link to an entry where the front fenderbraces were installed. It goes through the process of removing fenders:

http://jimsgarage.wordpress.com/2009...new-stability/
Old May 1, 2011, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd love a set of these, just isn't my top priority
Old May 3, 2011, 10:48 PM

fender braces

I installed paranoid fab fender braces on my sti and could feel a huge difference, even just pulling out of the driveway- some of these pics. look similar in concept to some of the gt spec parts- definitely something I would like to do to the evo- when I get the t-case fixed : )
Old May 4, 2011, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What are everyone's thoughts (or dare I hope...INFO?!! ) on these fender braces' impact on the crash dynamics of the Evo? Will this endanger the occupants of the car in case of a crash because of modifying the structural strength and load paths of the frontal crumple zone?

I am really interested in this, but don't want it to be something like a harness bar which is great for a track setting where someone is wearing a HANS device, but downright deadly on the street....
Old May 5, 2011, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by spdngdragon
What are everyone's thoughts (or dare I hope...INFO?!! ) on these fender braces' impact on the crash dynamics of the Evo? Will this endanger the occupants of the car in case of a crash because of modifying the structural strength and load paths of the frontal crumple zone?

I am really interested in this, but don't want it to be something like a harness bar which is great for a track setting where someone is wearing a HANS device, but downright deadly on the street....
I suggest you read some of the earlier entries.

When an accident occurs there is no way to predict everything that can or cannot happen. Will that CD case in the back seat become a projectile that hits you in the back of the skull? Will the driver's side air bag (SRS) blast your sunglasses into the side of your face?

These braces accomplish something important to some drivers and of little importance to others. When you add more power to the engine do you also upgrade your brakes or your own drivng skills?

There is always a trade off and the decision is up to you and what you are looking for.
Old May 5, 2011, 04:52 AM

It looks to me like they are far enough back that unless you had a massive front end collision, like bumper to firewall crushed, that they would not impact the crumple zone much if at all. And in a side collision I could see them helping. Just my opinion.
Old May 5, 2011, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jplgsx
I suggest you read some of the earlier entries.

When an accident occurs there is no way to predict everything that can or cannot happen. Will that CD case in the back seat become a projectile that hits you in the back of the skull? Will the driver's side air bag (SRS) blast your sunglasses into the side of your face?

These braces accomplish something important to some drivers and of little importance to others. When you add more power to the engine do you also upgrade your brakes or your own drivng skills?

There is always a trade off and the decision is up to you and what you are looking for.
Thanks for your perspective. I read all of the prior entries along with reading through your blog. I was still wanting to poll the community for more information. There is a broad range of people in our community and for all I know, there is someone who would know the answer to my specific questions.

I fully realize that you can never predict the outcome of a crash, but what I am trying to do is not modify something that might put me or mine in more danger simply due to that fact that I have modified it.

Not sure how it is relevant to my questions, but yes, I upgrade the brakes of my vehicles as I increase power. The brakes on my evo are one of my favorite parts of the vehicle. I also know that I have plenty to learn myself. This is one of the reasons that I have not run out like many others and thrown the biggest turbo that I can and a meth kit or E85 at my car in an attempt to get a high numbers dyno queen. The car even in stock form is over the abilities of many drivers to best.

What I do want to do however is modify my car in any way that I can to improve on it's abilities to perform the way it was designed for but maybe not completely realized by the manufacturer due to cost and business case reasons.

nice blog BTW
Old May 5, 2011, 01:32 PM

I think im gonna pick these up im big on suspension mods and the evo could always handle a bit better.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 02:47 PM

I hear this mod works really well on some cars and others not... but that on the evo, that it actually makes a big difference. Been contemplating getting some of the Nagisa braces. Shopping around for best prices but not too many places have it in stock.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by snailpace
I hear this mod works really well on some cars and others not... but that on the evo, that it actually makes a big difference. Been contemplating getting some of the Nagisa braces. Shopping around for best prices but not too many places have it in stock.
I like the Nagisa's, I could tell a differance right away.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by CBRE
I like the Nagisa's, I could tell a differance right away.
Did you install yourself? How big of a pain was it to drill the holes in?
Old Jun 28, 2011, 03:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
Did you install yourself? How big of a pain was it to drill the holes in?

So easy a caveman could do it The holes are the easy part, carefully removing and reinstally the fenders is time consuming but still extremly easy. My car has just about every brace including the factory tie braces and is a back roads solid feeling rocketship, all total less than 20#'s between the Ti FSB, dry carbon RSB, fender braces, Cusco center brace, factory tie bars and front support bar, well worth the weight penilty for having a solid good feeling road car vs a flexible pile of monkey crap(Oh and ive driven 20-30 EVO's that feel like that!)
Old Jun 28, 2011, 03:56 AM

And we all know just how flexible monkey crap is!!!
Old Jun 28, 2011, 04:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
I have mine installed about a year. I like the way they work on my IX-MR. Pitch the car into a nice hard right, or left and you'll know they're on and you'll appreciate what they do! I have then installed the complete Cusco under brace system and the car handles amazingly...My friends think I have installed my coilovers, which I haven't yet, lol.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 04:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jplgsx
And we all know just how flexible monkey crap is!!!
^^hahah!!

Quick Reply: Do Fender braces work?