Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Evo 8 vs Evo 9 Bilsten suspension

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2009, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Evo 8 vs Evo 9 Bilsten suspension

Can someone who upgrade from Evo 8 suspension to Evo 9 Bilsten suspension give me some inputs? Seem like my suspension is going softer and not sure if I should pick up a used 9 Bilsten or get some coilovers. Thanks
Old Aug 27, 2009, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The KYB is the harder of the two, the Bilsten is supposed to give you the luxury ride (well, for an Evo).
Old Aug 27, 2009, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
The KYB is the harder of the two, the Bilsten is supposed to give you the luxury ride (well, for an Evo).
Dude you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about... The MR bilsteins are a notable upgrade from the GSR KYB's... The valving is larger, and the dampning is way better.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Kind of need something that is a little more stiffer than mine
Old Aug 27, 2009, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie
Dude you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about... The MR bilsteins are a notable upgrade from the GSR KYB's... The valving is larger, and the dampning is way better.
I would say you don't know what your talking about... MR Bilsteins ride much nicer than the oe KYB's, softer in every way.

Originally Posted by EvolNinja
Kind of need something that is a little more stiffer than mine
If you put Bilsteins on your car it will ride smoother, and softer. I think you may want to look elsewhere if you want something harder than oe.

I know, I've had the MR's on my car for 3yrs now. I love the way they ride, so much better than the KYB's.

Good Luck
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the inputs
Old Aug 27, 2009, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you need something stiffer than the stock KYB setup, then you need to not only replace your struts, you also need better springs. The KYB was overdamped (versus the stock 8 springs), which resulted in the pogo-stick ride. The MR bilsteins have superior valving to the KYB, which has been proven several times on the track. While they ride a little bit softer, they don't skitter across bumps like the KYBs and therefore perform better. If you want a 'stiffer ride', then I would suggest you start with a set of Bilsteins matched up with a set of Swift Spec-R springs. It'll feel better cruising around town _and_ it'll hustle you around corners faster.

... just don't forget to get an alignment after you swap things out.

l8r)
Old Aug 27, 2009, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
If you need something stiffer than the stock KYB setup, then you need to not only replace your struts, you also need better springs. The KYB was overdamped (versus the stock 8 springs), which resulted in the pogo-stick ride. The MR bilsteins have superior valving to the KYB, which has been proven several times on the track. While they ride a little bit softer, they don't skitter across bumps like the KYBs and therefore perform better. If you want a 'stiffer ride', then I would suggest you start with a set of Bilsteins matched up with a set of Swift Spec-R springs. It'll feel better cruising around town _and_ it'll hustle you around corners faster.

... just don't forget to get an alignment after you swap things out.

l8r)
Thanks Ludikraut for the advice. I suppose having a baby and if I would to put the baby in my Evo from time to time, it would be better to get the Bilsteins for the softer ride. If I remember it correctly, both KYB and Bilstein have the same ride height? I would like to lower the front a little more. Maybe 1 to 1.5"
Old Aug 27, 2009, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

The shocks won't determine ride height, the springs will. If you get a set of Swift springs, for example, you'll drop about 1.4" in front and 0.8" in back.

l8r)
Old Aug 29, 2009, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
My Evo is my DD with KYB struts and shocks.

I have several routes I may choose going to and from work. One route is all paved and it is a deceptive street. It looks good enough but the slabs of concrete that make up the street are heaved – bad winters I guess. I used to have the habit of bracing myself against the door with my knee. I learned to stop that on this street. It is a good way to get a bruise.

There is another route and in it is some gravel. This little piece of unpaved road has good pavement on both ends causing it to be driven on a lot. The gravel portion is generally one big washboard. Here my KYB suspension provides a smooth ride. In fact, the entire car seems to come alive on this stuff.

So, my take on this is that the KYB suspension is Mitsu’s OEM suspension for dirt and the Bilstein suspension is their pavement edition.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
One thing you might be overlooking is the tire you run. If you have a high performance tire like the stock advan you will feel quite a bit more road. For awhile I ran an elcheapo tire and it felt ten times softer than the stockers.

I had KYB's on my 9 then moved to Megan streets then Megan tracks then Bilstiens and am now on Ohlins. The best riding of the bunch were the Megan Streets.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

I have a GSR with KYB's and RobiSpec springs. My dad has a bone stock MR and the bilsteins are SOOOOO nice! My car feels stiffer and since I upgraded springs, it handles better. But stock for stock, I feel the MR suspension outperforms the KYB suspension. So, the MR suspension with upgraded springs is the best of them all, I think.

You can also try Bilstein HD's, which have close to the same stiffness as the KYB's and a set or either Swifts, RobiSpec, Works, or GTWORX springs and you'll be very happy. Even on MR bilstiens or KYB's, you'll still be very happy with any of those springs.

Off Topic: But in my opinion, coil-overs are only for track cars. On the street you won't be (or shouldn't be ) nearing the limits of an Evo with a good spring/strut combo. So they're more than enough. Coil-overs are great for track cars that need to make adjustments from track to track.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Na... Coil overs allow you to run wider tires, more camber, custom set ride height, and they aren't nearly as heavy.

Last edited by Jeff_Jeske; Aug 29, 2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 04:28 AM
Evolving Member

I'm new to this forum and to EVO's, and I don't know Vettel from Jesus. So if you offer feedback, please mention some credentials to validate your opinion, or experience.

Im interested in a bit better upgrade from stock GSR for OCCASIONAL HPDE (this is my daily) . I have allotted most of my funds to work on my dedicated track car, so I want an inexpensive upgrade that will keep me at a reasonably stock height but make the car a little more manageable on track (body roll, understeer etc.) Im familiar with bilstein's superior quality and valving but i was curious if the MR blisteins are the same length as the KYB's? what spring options I have, again I'm looking for close to stock ride height but a little heavier rates. I want to also find adjustable camber plates to go on the top of the bilsteins.

Is this a doable setup?

what are stock GSR rates (assuming they're progressive) versus MR rates?

also curious about OEM ARB diameters. What do i have on the GSR and what model (usdm or overseas) has the largest option?(keep the words, USED, OEM, QUALITY, and BUDGET in mind)

I should mention, I'm familiar with the vernacular, so I'm looking for specifics (i.e. rates, height, progressive, linear).

thanks,
Mark (who told himself he wouldn't ever put the evo on track but after a road rally last weekend realizes that would just be a waste of a fantastic car.)

Last edited by heel_touge; Aug 30, 2009 at 04:38 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
My recommendation would be Swifts Sports or GTWorx (on KYBs) for occasional HPDEs. Spec Rs if you get more serious into tracking. Then get into Bilsteins (both MR and HD can be custom valved).

Edit: RobiSpec are also another great choice. I have not driven on them though. But I have driven the above mentioned.

The Bilstein MR and HD are the same length as the KYB. Differences are in valving.

There are a few companies (Kmac, Tein, etc) that make camber plates that work on the Evo. I never ran camber plates. On the Swifts with the -2 selection I was seeing -1.7 to -2 front camber. Which was always more than enough for my style.

My setup (when I had an Evo ): Swift Spec Rs, Bilstein HD (which eventually became custom valved), Swift sway bars. See my threads for credentials - AX wins, many track days, sponsored.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-reviewed.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-comments.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-reviewed.html

Last edited by Smike; Aug 30, 2009 at 05:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Evo 8 vs Evo 9 Bilsten suspension