Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Clunking front end noise??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2004, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm taking mine in on Friday. It comes and goes, but it's so damn annoying i can't take it anymore.

If they can't fix it (i won't be too disapointed.. i don't have much faith in them).. i'm getting coilovers in the spring.

we'll see what happens.
Old Nov 1, 2004, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys if you look at the upper coil of your springs and you see a metallic color showing through the black paint, it means the spring is rubbing and slipping over itself, causing the clunk. Put some rubber tubing around where it's hitting and problem solved.
Old Nov 1, 2004, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

I have noticed the same clunking noice, but in the rear passenger side. Thought it was normal since it is a tight suspension. Then I was turning "left" today going home for lunch and noticed the drivers side front sounding like it clunked or popped. Weird noise. Thought it was normal and I don't hear it that much. I'll have the dealer check it out when I go in for the recall. If they can't find anything my neighbor is one hell of a mechanic and I'll have him check it out then I'll go shove it in mitsu face. LOL
Old Nov 1, 2004, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

When was the last time you had your pads changed? Mine was making that noise too, I took it in, told them to check the brakes, and sure enough the pads were almost toasted. Instead of the squeal noise that regular brakes make the Brembo pads have a different wear indicator that makes an odd metal creaking sound. This could or could not be what's wrong, I have aftermarket suspension so I couldn't tell you, but it sounds like what I thought I had and turned out I didn't.
Old Nov 1, 2004, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UT_Evo
When was the last time you had your pads changed? Mine was making that noise too, I took it in, told them to check the brakes, and sure enough the pads were almost toasted. Instead of the squeal noise that regular brakes make the Brembo pads have a different wear indicator that makes an odd metal creaking sound. This could or could not be what's wrong, I have aftermarket suspension so I couldn't tell you, but it sounds like what I thought I had and turned out I didn't.
Creaking? When I hit the wear indicator I thought my brake rotor had injested a piece of GRANITE!
Old Nov 1, 2004, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, well I didn't want to over exaggerate incase it was just a one time thing with my Evo... but yeah, same here lol
Old Nov 1, 2004, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Guys I've decided not to take the car in... the service guy said "Well we're going to quote you $104 since it may not be covered under warranty..."

The car is stock but I can just SEE them saying something ridiculous like "Well obviously the car has been abused." I'm not even going to risk it. I've already paid these fools enough $$$ to improperly diagnose my p0300 issue "out of warranty". Bastards.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 04:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UT_Evo
This is interesting. I just now started experiencing a creaking noise. I am also experiencing either a issue with the brake pads or disc. When I drive very slowly (5mph) I can hear what sounds like my disc is warped. Its like a rubbing sound. I guess it could be the pads. But either way, I have a front end creaking noise I sometimes hear when the weight shifts back during routine accleration.

Last edited by Lightsped; Nov 2, 2004 at 04:36 AM.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 05:39 AM
Evolving Member

..mine stopped making the noise now.. wtf.. it's on.. then it's off..

i'm getting tein coilovers next month.. i want a drop on it anyway..

i'm cancelling my service appointment.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

I dropped mine off at the dealer this morning,,,, they first told me something about the strut, then they talked to their tech support for more answers. Then decided to give the car back to me and wait til it gets worse. I have the popping noise in my front passenger wheel. I was thinking ball joint first. Now I'm baffled. Until reading this post and now it may be the spring making the noise. Mind you all my car is only one month old. I hit a nice size pothole the first day I got it ( bout 10mph), never stopped making the noise every since. I took a rubber mallet to everything under there and could not duplicate the noise until I drive it. Going to another dealer later on, to see what they will say.

any suggestions?
Old Nov 5, 2004, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

I took mine to the dealer today for the recall and I told them to check the strut and they told me it is not the strut, but they really want to to check it out and they said it is loose but they are not sure what it is. I'll report what they found out on monday.
Old Nov 7, 2004, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

I have a ralliart 2004.. I have a clunking sound in the driver side front, when ever i take a right turn and transfer weight to that side of the car, then hit a small bump or any type of uneven pavement i hear this clunking sound. I really want to say it sounds like metal banging against metal but i have no clue what it is... I've been hearing it for over 2 months now, and i took it to the dealer 2 weeks after it started and they said "unable to reproduce sound" and gave it back to me... I told them to come with me for a test drive but they said they were too busy and i keep calling them but they're always busy.. and they want me to schedule an appointment with them when i'm at school and my rents won't let me miss out on school, so i gave up. I figured it'd go away sooner or later, or i'd find out the hard way that it's damaging something...

By the way my car's in the shop now for front end damage so no car for like 2 months I guess...
Old Nov 8, 2004, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

Add me to the list of "clunkers". Dealer said it was normal. I took it to a private shop and all checked out fine, but the sound disappeared for a week, now its back. Unloading the suspension seems to be a common cause for this problem (people jacking the car up to change tires, or getting a little weightless over a speed hump). I just read this post & will try putting a rubber hose over the spring end &, if that doesnt work, try aftermarket pillow mounts.
Old Nov 8, 2004, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Just got back from the dealer. They heard something loose on friday and then today they couldn't find anything. They said they checked both front struts and made sure all the bolts were tight. Took the service manager for a ride, but I couldn't seem to duplicate the clunk for him. I haven't heard it since the ride home, but I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens. They also found no wear on any of the springs, so it still seems to be a mystery.
Old Nov 27, 2004, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

ok guys, i think ive found the problem. I took my car to a local mechanic(trained by mitsu) yesterday. He found out that my right STABILIZER LINK was messed up. Since theres no parts readily available in my area we had to do some temporary fixing by hamering on the stablilizer links on both ends just to make it tighter & not able to rotate 360. You can do that & it wont cost you a thing!!!
You can only do this once. If it happans again after several weeks or months then its time to replace it. I'll try to take some pics so you know what im talking about. This part should be very cheap....Around $50 here using a genuine mitsubishi part. According to the mechanic you can use a REGULAR lancer stabilizer link. They are the same with the EVO.

The cause of this is by uneven road surfaces. If you live in an area w/ lots of bad roads then most probably you will wear down your stabilizer link....according to my mechanic. You learn something everyday.

Last edited by x7eVoLuTiOn7x; Nov 27, 2004 at 04:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Clunking front end noise??