Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Clunking front end noise??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2004, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alright...so i think im going to be putting the Stech's on tonight I hope...is there anything i should look for while i am in that area tonight?? thanks
Old Feb 20, 2004, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

bump!
Old Feb 25, 2004, 02:55 AM
Evolved Member

voodooutt,

did you find anything?
Old Feb 25, 2004, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

nope, theres nothing "physically" wrong with the spring, the perch it sits in... I really don't get this. Theres no rubbing mark on the spring where it coils on itself and the rubber piece that I wrapped around where it coils on itself diddn't stop the noise. I'm a little frustrated
Old Feb 25, 2004, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

thats bad news...
I hope this problem doesnt come from front sway bars... it looks
like a real pain to get to it

Originally posted by voodooutt
nope, theres nothing "physically" wrong with the spring, the perch it sits in... I really don't get this. Theres no rubbing mark on the spring where it coils on itself and the rubber piece that I wrapped around where it coils on itself diddn't stop the noise. I'm a little frustrated
Old Mar 14, 2004, 11:28 PM

Any update on this? I'm now at 10k, and mine is getting worse. This evening it did it constantly (about every 5-10 seconds) while I was driving backroads, and didn't calm down until I got onto the freeway some 15 minutes into my journey. I wasn't even driving very hard. It seems to be aggravated by sudden changes in direction, rather than hitting big bumps. I would really have to guess it's a swaybar, endlink, or top mount problem. Pretty sure it has nothing to do with the spring compressing onto itself since it's a heavy clunking noise and doesn't necessarily occur during suspension compression.

Starting to get concerned that another component on the vehicle is going to suffer damage because of this, or suffer a related catastrophic failure at high speed.

-Pace

Last edited by pace; Mar 14, 2004 at 11:30 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

Mines been doing it for about 4000 miles now, I just topped 15k.
I wondered if others were having the same problem.
I asked the dealer about it @ my last oil change, and they said noting was wrong.
Now that it's more frequent, I'll definately push it on them again. I'll let everyone know what my dealer tells me this time.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

yeaah keep us updated....mine just does it going over tiny little dips in the road or something like that. Im not too concerned about it since about every Evo does it...and no I think i have ruled out the stock spring hitting itself thing...I now have S tech's and it still sounds exactly the same.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Well, today I finally broke down and took the wheels off the car to try and locate the problem. From what I can tell Machron1 has the right answer. The spring just doesn't look completely set in the upper strut retainer. The spring ends on the top look like they are not completely set in. The only way I could tell a difference was by pulling off the passenger wheel and looking at it and comparing the the 2. The passenger sring is firmly in the upper mount. If you didn't look at both of them you would nevert see a problem. I am going to remove the driver side strut as soon as I get a wrench that can take off the lower bolts.
Old Mar 23, 2004, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

waste of time...even after a spring change, the problem still exists...i wouldnt waste my time man...but that could be the case on yours.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Another local Evo owner stopped by my house tonight and we went for a drive, he was telling me about this clunking noise, I had no idea it was such a major problem with so many Evo's.

It almost sounded like the strut bottoming out, but after reading these post's, I'll call him up and see if he can try to insert some rubber or something up there..... He said he had taken the wheels off and looked and checked all bolts, but nothing out of norm. It only made the sound when we went over speed bumps... and if he turned the wheel hard to the left........
Old Apr 6, 2004, 11:49 PM
Evolving Member

I don't get the part about the spring hitting itself. Are you saying the spring bottoms out and the open end hits the 1st coil? If so then that's definitely not the problem I have because the springs are nowhere near bottoming out when it happens. It seems to happen on smallish suspension loads when turning, like if I turn on to a side street that goes uphil. It doesn't happen often, and I can't reproduce it, but it's pretty loud. I don't think it started happening until 7k miles or so. I think I'll try playing around on some speed bumps & see if I can reproduce it.

Anyone else have updates on this problem?
Old Apr 6, 2004, 11:57 PM
bme

Just to let everyone know. There is another element to the problem. The clunking noise that I get with my Evo 8 does not happen over bumps but rather when I'm trying to park and turning the steering to the left. The noise comes from the front passenger suspension area (BTW, I drive a JDM right-hand drive Evo 8). Also, it only happens when the car is warmed up. On first starts - no noise. Reckon, something is expanding in the susupension system. Any ideas?
Old Apr 7, 2004, 01:36 AM
Evolved Member

I'm praying that it's just front sway bar bushing that needs some
lubing...
Old Apr 7, 2004, 01:50 AM
Evolved Member

I have the same noise. From what I've been reading here, I think we need to look at the steering links as well.

Quick Reply: Clunking front end noise??