Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Clunking front end noise??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2004, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in lhd evo's the noise is on the left when you make a right turn and in rhd evo's the noise is on the right when you make a left hand turn... seems to be something with the setup up around the driver like the steering links or something like you said
Old Apr 21, 2004, 11:10 PM

*bump*
Old Apr 22, 2004, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by bme
Just to let everyone know. There is another element to the problem. The clunking noise that I get with my Evo 8 does not happen over bumps but rather when I'm trying to park and turning the steering to the left. The noise comes from the front passenger suspension area (BTW, I drive a JDM right-hand drive Evo 8). Also, it only happens when the car is warmed up. On first starts - no noise. Reckon, something is expanding in the susupension system. Any ideas?
I just spent 20 mins reading this whole thread looking for someone talking about this.

I have this problem as well, though it's very VERY intermittent. I have only caught it 3-4 times thus far. I also have the standard going-over-a-bump or turning-into-a-driveway clunk that everyone else is experiencing.

I checked all the boots and such under the front end and everything is sealed up tighter than a cat's ***. I am not particularly worried about these noises, but I had to verify it wasn't some joint issue or something.

I am so much more concerned about getting this p0300 error fixed right now. Luckily I have another 20,000 miles til my warranty is up.
Old Apr 22, 2004, 08:01 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

I am fairly fortunate that I have not been plagued by this problem too much. I have had the clunk several times; always while turning and cresting imperfections in the road/driveway.

This was the case until yesterday. We have been receiving a considerable amount of rain and wet snow here in CO since yesterday and since then I get a clunk when I am turning and hitting any bump. Is it possible that the rain has washed away some grease? Coincidentally I also just pulled off my all seasons and mounted up the Advans again. Raising the car in the air on a lift to change the tires might have fully extended the struts and/or loosened something? Is it possible that this is a constant – car in the air equals clunk?

One final thought: I used to own a 911 racecar that had very firm suspension. When one of the adjustable Konis was damaged and stopped adjusting correctly my car developed a very similar clunk.
Old Apr 22, 2004, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by JTB
I am fairly fortunate that I have not been plagued by this problem too much. I have had the clunk several times; always while turning and cresting imperfections in the road/driveway.

This was the case until yesterday. We have been receiving a considerable amount of rain and wet snow here in CO since yesterday and since then I get a clunk when I am turning and hitting any bump. Is it possible that the rain has washed away some grease? Coincidentally I also just pulled off my all seasons and mounted up the Advans again. Raising the car in the air on a lift to change the tires might have fully extended the struts and/or loosened something? Is it possible that this is a constant – car in the air equals clunk?

One final thought: I used to own a 911 racecar that had very firm suspension. When one of the adjustable Konis was damaged and stopped adjusting correctly my car developed a very similar clunk.
I didn't hear the clunk until I rotated my tires at 5k mile. It doesn't always have the clunk, only once in a while. Mostly on a colder day is when it clunks.
Old Apr 22, 2004, 10:59 PM

I'm thinking I'm going to try replacing the left front strut at my own expense and see what ensues. I have to try something as the noise is constant over small to medium bumps and irregularities. My car sounds like it's falling apart..

-Pace
Old Apr 23, 2004, 04:30 AM

I get that clunking noise coming from my front right end sometimes.Now i don't really hear it anymore.Is this normal??
Old Apr 23, 2004, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

I hope most of you realize that the insane amount of speculation occurring in this thread will not apply to 99.999999% of the clunking incidents you, a friend, or your friend's hampster may experience.

If you have a serious issue with it, take it to the dealer per the previous posts... mine, personally, isn't bad enough for me to b*tch about yet, so I'll sit tight.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 12:53 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

I discussed this with my dealer today. They claim to have seen this before on several other Evos and say that the solution is to replace the front left strut. They also immediately offered to test drive the car and replace the strut under warrantee if necessary.

I am actually going to hold off for now as it has only been doing this for several days and am not going get them to replace it until it has bothered me for a while or until I am convinced that it is a continuing problem.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 01:26 PM
choad

Just made my appointment..
Need to put my Advans back on and check the brakes for warping..(again)

So might as well figure out what the hell is going on up front there..

Old Apr 23, 2004, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

I just retorqued all the front suspension bolts and my front end seems to be pretty clunk free. Just a data point.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by webguy330i
I hope most of you realize that the insane amount of speculation occurring in this thread will not apply to 99.999999% of the clunking incidents you, a friend, or your friend's hampster may experience.

If you have a serious issue with it, take it to the dealer per the previous posts...
Thanks for the valuable insight. However, given that the majority are describing near identical symptoms it would not seem a stretch to suggest that this is a specific production fault with a small, but not insignificant percentage of cars. Go to the STi forums and see how many posts you can find for a clunking noise from the left front suspension, that occurs during directional transitions over mild to moderate surface irregularities. This thread has over 100 posts and nearly 5,000 views. The fact is that it offers valuable testimonials that may help narrow the culprit component(s).

Many of us have visited our dealerships numerous times on this issue, and they are unable to resolve it. I've had four visits myself on this specific problem. None have resulted in a permanent resolution. Great for you that yours has not degenerated to the point that you are pursuing a solution. We are not all so fortunate.

On the topic of replacement strut. Does anyone have the part # and ballpark pricing?

Thanks
-Pace
Old Apr 23, 2004, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

I know I didn't have the clunking noise till I lifted my EVO on jacks to rotate tires. Did everyone that's having clunking issues, rotated their tires then notice later that the clunking happened. My car is rock solid and I'm not having any problems until I did the 5k mile rotation(as was recommended).
So again, did you have this clunking problem before or after tire rotation.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 06:17 PM

In answer to your question.. my car had been quiet for a couple of weeks until last weekend when I swapped out my winter rubber for my second set of OEM rims shod with Advans. The noise immediately returned.

I suspect that some component is coming out of alignment or otherwise shifting. Raising and lowering the vehicle does seem to bring about an onset of the 'problem', as the same thing happened at my last rotation, with the noise eventually subsiding.

-Pace

[Edit] JTB, I note that you are in Boulder. Who's your dealer - I may drive up there and visit with them.

Last edited by pace; Apr 23, 2004 at 06:21 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Pretty much a problem with all Evos.... seems more pronounced with the CT9A chassis cars... jdm and usdm. This noise is the #1 reason most late model Evolution owners in Jamaica just say "**** it" and go the route of TEINS. We have some pretty ****ty roads in some places.... so you can just imagine the stress on the sus!

My former Evo6 had the problem ... solved by lithium grease to the top of the springs and tightening NUT #2 (in previous diagram) to the specified torque.

The E7 I have now has so much noise coming from the suspension .... its kinda sad...

Last edited by jemm; Apr 23, 2004 at 06:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Clunking front end noise??