Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Single best handling modification CT9A.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gotpsi?
I agree that sway bars, bushings, and a 12plate or stacked rear diff all help, but none of those will keep the chassis settled and the tires on the ground like a good set of shocks. On all the cars I've modded that has always made the biggest difference by far. I don't mean some cheap off the shelf coilover either, something that is valved and sprung to fit your needs will work like a dream. I currently have a custom valved and sprung Ohlins that give a good ride even with high spring rates. There are plenty of places you can buy built shocks from here. Dont settle for off the shelf, beleive me on this on, I've spent more money on suspension setups for.different cars than my EVO is worth twice over.
I am now using Ohlins R&T for my CT9A, it is firm but it makes everything feel smooth and comfortable.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
if you ARE going rear diff, unless you're limited by class i'd go at least with a 12 plate.. otherwise for one SINGLE mod it'd be coilovers.. but you'll enjoy the car better with the rear diff

bars are for handling adjustment, really inherently different to the diff, which changes the character (to closer to what it should have been from the factory.. with ayc)
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
x2 for driver mod.

once the driver is fixed look into a rear diff to get the car to rotate so you can put the power down harder coming out of a turn.

Brake pads would be next on my list.
Originally Posted by bayrider
The best handling mod for me IMO is the rear diff plate swap. I just got this done last week and it made me fall in love with my car again.
1) Seat Time, more Seat Time, and even more Seat time.

2) Understeer is the biggest issue with stock Evo setups, and nothing I did helped that anywhere near as much as the rear diff upgrade. Most report the same results.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:08 AM

Maybe it was too obvious, but no one said "weight loss". I recently got a C.F. trunk, and didn't put the wing on. While I was at it, I took all the "just in case" crap out, including spare etc., and carpet. Just driving on the street I can feel a big difference.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

i agree with those that said allignment
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

I've already posted in here and given my input, but I wanted to mention something that I think most people might not realize.

There really isn't one single best mod for any car. how YOU drive, aka your driving style, will dictate what mod will have the greatest impact on your lap times (if lower lap times are what you are after).

Someone who is very aggressive and dive-bombs the corners won't get the same benefit out of a rear diff as someone who goes in slow and out fast. SO saying X-mod is the best really isn't the case. Its specific to driver first and car second, IMO.

Having said that I will say again that I think the BEST mod you can do to any vehicle is the driver mod. It installs on any car you drive and it makes you faster everywhere.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
I've already posted in here and given my input, but I wanted to mention something that I think most people might not realize.

There really isn't one single best mod for any car. how YOU drive, aka your driving style, will dictate what mod will have the greatest impact on your lap times (if lower lap times are what you are after).

Someone who is very aggressive and dive-bombs the corners won't get the same benefit out of a rear diff as someone who goes in slow and out fast. SO saying X-mod is the best really isn't the case. Its specific to driver first and car second, IMO.

Having said that I will say again that I think the BEST mod you can do to any vehicle is the driver mod. It installs on any car you drive and it makes you faster everywhere.
I agree that the driver mod is the best mod overall. As far as the rear diff goes, though, I have to say that I am usually a slow in-fast out kind of guy, and the rear diff still made a HUGE difference. It's nice to be able to actually hit the real apex instead of either late apexing all the time or going wide.

l8r)
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Appropriate tyre pressure can change the character of your suspension and handling a surprising amount. Also a little flick into corners gets some oversteer that is a lovely thing to behold.

SO, what the others said, seat time.

*teary eyed*