Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Drivetrain guru's looking for a educated guess

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drivetrain guru's looking for a educated guess

My cars drivetrain has been an odyssey to say the least.

Lets start from the top.

When my motor grenaded it took the transfercases housing with it and unbeknownst to me cracked the bell housing on the transmission (This will be important later).

I drove the car for a few weeks after my tcase started doing the deathwhine (Built tcase from Shep). After a few months I found a stock tcase to swap in while i get the money up to rebuild the built tcase with Shep again (I think the tcase shouldn't have gone out since i never launch the car, but I can't prove the previous shop filled it improperly).

While I was waiting for the tcase to become available I discovered that I was getting high rpm lockout on my carbonetics triple carbon clutch. When I finally put the car down the carbonetics was in such bad shape it was determined by ATS themselves that either car was abused badly (For sure not) or it was clutch assembly gone horribly wrong or install gone horribly wrong. The middle plate was broken and the whole clutch was toast. Only thing that was re-usable was the clutch cover.

While I was waiting to find out what was wrong with my clutch I had asked a few questions online and had a few people reach out to help when the clutch came out (94AWDCoupe and Patrick from FFTEC specifically) as well as some board members give their opinion. Bottom line I got f v c ked again. Had a shop mic the input shaft on the trans and speak to Shep and they both agree I dodged a bullet so we decided not to send it to Shep to check out. ATS for the record is amazed the transmission is in one piece.

SO I decided that rebuilding the ATS wasn't an option (they wanted essentially the same money for a brand new clutch) and all the drama with the Exedy triples started coming to light so I decided to go with the Quartermaster (I had a possible opportunity to try Competition Clutches new triple out but that kinda evaporated).

Get the quartermaster in and everything is cool. Car is different to drive but getting used to it. I move to Raleigh and they DONT PLAY with speeding so I have been taking it easy for the most part (plus I'm on a 93 gas tune so power is down ALOT....about 550ish).

One day out of no where i get a horrible metal on metal sound and the car acts like it wants to shut off. Then when I its driving I feel vibration in the pedal I never felt before. I call Spec-Ops and decided to haul *** to Fayetteville (from work thats an hour and half drive).

Once I get the car out of 1st its fine. So the whole car ride there with the exception of the vibration in the pedal it drives fine.

I get to spec-ops and after a few minutes of looking the car over they realize the trans is literally coming off the block. Luckily my wife is in town with my kids so she comes and gets me and we go home and wait for Spec-Ops to call me with their diagnosis (they are afraid that I might've damaged more then we saw.

I dropped the car off on Friday while they had a lot of stuff going on. They get the car on the lift on Tuesday the following week. Drop the oil pan and everything is perfect (Thank god). Flywheel and starter are chewed up. Pressure plate bolts are loose and the bellhousing has hairline cracks in it which in turn allowed the dowel pins to get loose, missing a bolt on the backside of the trans.......its all bad.

So Spec-ops has determined that the clutch/pressure plate, starter issues were due to improper installation and the trans separating from the block was then likely due to the bellhousing being cracked.

Trans "APPEARED" to be ok but Matt wants to send it to Shep to have them inspect (and might as well have then replace the bellhousing while their at it.

SO after all this drivetrain drama I guess my question is:

"How likely is it that my input shaft is bent"? I know this is all speculation but seeing as how I don't have jack to do until my transmission comes back from Shep (they said 2-3 weeks last week od only knows how long it will actually take) I'm trying to mentally prepare myself as to what Shep may find (this was a previously built trans from them as well). The last shop before Shep thinks the clutch could've been screwed due to a slightly bent input shaft (which is why we are sending it off to Shep) but its going to be hard for Shep to know what happened when and how to assign responsibility.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by SmurfZilla; Apr 16, 2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

F'in A wrong damn forum. Mods can you move to the drivetrain section please. I must've been sleep walking.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Delete this thread I'll post it where it needs to be. Sorry guys.