Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Who makes Titanium rims?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2004, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who makes Titanium rims?

I am not sure if this has been brought up, but since we are on a titanium high, I was wondering if anyone makes titanium rims? What a weight svings that would be. Imagine having a set of titanium rims to go with your titanium exhaust.
Old Jan 24, 2004, 02:20 AM

Titanium is not a good metal for rims. if super light weight is your goal, go magnesium.
Old Jan 24, 2004, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

I don't understand the obsession with titanium on this board. It's a metal with marginal weight gains that offers a ridiculously bloated price.

Do people just like saying that their parts are "titanium?"
Old Jan 24, 2004, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks. I will look into Magnesium. As for being obsessed with titanium, it is not an obsession, it's fact. Titanium is superlight and the anti rust and corrosion proerties are unmatched. Titanium is expensive. Which is fine. You gotta have the dough. At least I know not everyone in town will have a titanium catback.
Old Jan 24, 2004, 02:16 PM
Account Disabled

there would be no point honestly. Yes its suer light, but so is aluminum....and aluminum, if made of a proper grade, won't ruse either. Think about it, when have you ever seen a rusted alloy wheel?
Old Jan 24, 2004, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you got spare change and ultimate lightness is your object, Volk makes a version of the TE37 in magnesium - special order. Corrosion protection in a winter driven street car is an issue.
Old Jan 24, 2004, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
aluminum is actually lighter than titanium, but not stronger. Forged Al is about as good as it gets from both worlds
Old Jan 24, 2004, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Then why is everybody buying stainless steel exhausts, when we can get forged aluminum exhausts? Think about it, if aluminum is lighter, which I am sure it is, why don't people buy aluminum exhausts rather than steel? I have seen aluminum rust, radiators, and I have seen a set of American Racing Centerlines on a Camaro with a good deal of rust on them. Okay so aluminum rims are light, but lighter than Mags? Since they don't make titanium rims.
By the way, thanks to Snarlynx and Allegerita for pointing me in the right direction. I will look into the TE37. I hope they clear the Brembos. I don't mind spending the extra change for my Evo. She's a great car and she deserves only the best.
Old Jan 24, 2004, 10:06 PM
Evolving Member

Melting point of aluminum is 660 Celcius, Exhaust temperatures at the down pipe are near 650 celcius at full throttle on the track. Melting point of stainless steel is about 1400 Celcius.

http://www.muggyweld.com/melting.html
Old Jan 25, 2004, 12:14 AM
SOF
Evolving Member

Re: Who makes Titanium rims?

Originally posted by inariv5573
I am not sure if this has been brought up, but since we are on a titanium high, I was wondering if anyone makes titanium rims? What a weight svings that would be. Imagine having a set of titanium rims to go with your titanium exhaust.
Um, titanium is heavier than aluminum.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

Yes, magnesium wheels are lighter than most aluminum wheels, although new processes in casting and forging are bring the difference to a much smaller margin. Aluminum wheels are stronger than magnesium so unless you drive on super smooth, potholeless roads all the time, you'll be replacing those magnesium wheels a lot. When I lived in Miami, I had magnesium Momo's on a Civic and I was replacing those puppies all the time.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

I hope you are ready for the price of those magnesium wheels, you may have a heart attack.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

they all have their uses. they all have advantages, disadvantages. Aluminum would not make a good exhaust. COnsidering where it is and how soft it is, it would develop punctures so fast.. titanium is great for an exhaust because it can be thin-wall. light, just as strong (if not more--depends on thickness) as steel. Of course it's expensive. Steel is readily available and easy to form. titanium looks good. We all want our stuff to look good. Aluminum corrodes. turns black. It has to be coated. Magnesium.. light, but really not as light as you would think considering its cost. But then there's corrosion and its bending properties. I think rally wheels made of magnesium can't be used too many times for safety reasons. Titanium is like the best of aluminum and steel. light, dont need to make huge chunks of it to equal the strength of steel, not so soft, so doesnt dent/scratch easily.. looks good.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

You guys have all been helpful to me. I may actually steer away from magnesium. Considering the weight is not much different from aluminum given the price of magnesium. Also I don't drive on perfectly smooth roads. I am looking into the SSR GT3's at TireRack. They are expensive but not as expensive as Mags. Maybe even the Works Rims. I am just not sure if I should convert to 18's. Will they affect handling that much?
Old Mar 26, 2004, 07:53 PM

OK, i think that you guys are wrong saying that titanium is heavier than aluminum, privide some proof and I'll kiss your feet. Oh, btw, on rx7 forums i made a post about the te37 mags, and they got trashed, so apparently they are not good rims at all. They said something like they are brittle and can catch of fire or something, didnt really pay atention to it, prolly just too expensive for them to try, lol, like 2x as much as forged alum te37s.

Quick Reply: Who makes Titanium rims?