Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Cheap coilovers or just replace springs?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2013, 04:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cheap coilovers or just replace springs?

Hey Evo guys,

I am going to track my car in a couple weeks and really want to know what you guys think about coilovers? Yes, they're expensive! But are they really worth the money?

I upgraded my springs to GTWorks so that I could enjoy the smooth drivability on the street, but the .75" drop could be improved a lot for the track. I could go shorter ride height with different springs like Swift, but am seriously considering getting coilovers instead. I found some KW's with Swift front springs for $1500....thanks in advance for your opinion.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 04:59 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Rmeister007
Hey Evo guys,

I am going to track my car in a couple weeks and really want to know what you guys think about coilovers? Yes, they're expensive! But are they really worth the money?

I upgraded my springs to GTWorks so that I could enjoy the smooth drivability on the street, but the .75" drop could be improved a lot for the track. I could go shorter ride height with different springs like Swift, but am seriously considering getting coilovers instead. I found some KW's with Swift front springs for $1500....thanks in advance for your opinion.
Bold is not really correct.

And be wary of off the shelf KW3s. KW is good. But their base spring rates were not.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 07:45 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Agreed with Smike. Ride height is not as important as proper suspension geometry. In this case, roll center more important. I would recommend keeping the springs for now, and maybe upgrading to Bilsteins if you don't have them.

Coilovers are not for novice trackies as you're unlikely to take full advantage of them. Don't start thinking you have to do this and that just to hit the track. Make sure the car is in good mechanical shape, and just go drive. Progress the car as you progress as a driver.

Last edited by chu; Mar 28, 2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 08:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Have you tracked your car before? There are a lot of things you could do before jumping into coilovers. Bushings, camber plates, swaybars, etc. All of which can be kept if you do go to coilovers later.

- Andrew
Old Mar 28, 2013, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chu
Agreed with Smike. Ride height is not as important as proper suspension geometry. In this case, roll center more important. I would recommend keeping the springs for now, and maybe upgrading to Bilsteins if you don't have them.

Coilovers are not for novice trackies as you're unlikely to take full advantage of them. Don't start thinking you have to do this and that just to hit the track. Make sure the car is in good mechanical shape, and just go drive. Progress the car as you progress as a driver.
Thanks Chu! I know you're right. I just want to get the most out of my experience at the track. I know I'll do fine with my Bilstein struts and GTWorx springs. This is my first track event with my Evo.

I have upgraded the swaybar, rear diff, and bushings. I have not done sway bar links, or camber plates. Are camber plates worth the money?
Old Mar 28, 2013, 02:30 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If further tracking is in your future, then yes. As Andrew pointed out, suspension bushings are worth looking into. But for now, just go do the event. Getting the most out of your track events has less to do with the car, and more with you learning proper driving techniques and forming good habits. As you get faster, you will figure out how to approach the next mods.

Last edited by chu; Mar 28, 2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 02:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah just enjoy the first event...focus on driving first and foremost and learn as much as you can.

The only thing you need for the track are brakes that work.

- Andrew
Old Mar 28, 2013, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^
+1

good advice