Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

New centric rotors, stoptech pads, bedded, squealing?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2013, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
New centric rotors, stoptech pads, bedded, squealing?

I tried to be as careful and exact as I could but apparently I still missed something. I installed all new rotors and pads about a week ago on my IX, front and back. Centric rotors from MAP, StopTech pads bought online. I used gray anti-sieze on the backs of the pads, on the parts of the metal that come around the pad, and on the retaining spring in the area where the pins slide through. I have bedded in the pads twice using StopTech's procedure and I have searched on here as well. Seems like many say to use CRC Brake Disc Quiet, which I have, but just as many others say to just use anti-sieze. Any suggestions? Squeal happens at light pedal pressure and is only coming from up front. Any significant pressure and it goes away. It's pretty loud, annoyingly loud. If it were subtle I'd just live with it. Are the StopTech's known for squealing a little under these scenarios?

Thanks guys!
Todd
Old May 6, 2013, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
So you used anti-seize on the shims? .... maybe worth using high temp grease instead and see if that takes care of ur issue.
Old May 6, 2013, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

I did. Saw that on here and the guy at the auto parts store (not AZ or Advanced, guys I actually trust to know some stuff) confirmed as well. I'll redo it with the tacky stuff and report back.
Old May 6, 2013, 06:28 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Todd

Just a suggestion as I have run into this issue installing new pads & rotors. Im not the biggest believer in the brake goop being the cause of un-usually loud brake squeal

What I found was edge ridges on the pads. Pull the pads & make sure there are no lips forming on the pad edges. The issue is the pads are not fully seated on the rotor which caused a loud nasty squeal. If found, file them down & re-install

.02 worth

Joe

Last edited by MinusPrevious; May 6, 2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old May 6, 2013, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

Interesting Joe, thank you for that. The sound seems to be coming primarily - and possibly only - from the front driver's side. I'll start there and see what happens. Hopefully I can get the pads out tomorrow night, getting a little anxious to check now
Old May 6, 2013, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Todd

Just a suggestion as I have run into this issue installing new pads & rotors. Im not the biggest believer in the brake goop being the cause of un-usually loud brake squeal

What I found was edge ridges on the pads. Pull the pads & make sure there are no lips forming on the pad edges. The issue is the pads are not fully seated on the rotor which caused a loud nasty squeal. If found, file them down & re-install

.02 worth

Joe
+1
Adding chamfers should help reduce/eliminate any noise caused by the edges of the pad. I believe the clamping force is reduced by the edges due to the distance from the piston center. grease may help dampen the vibrations as well.

here is a pic of my stockers vs ferodo.

Last edited by detroit pistins; May 6, 2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old May 6, 2013, 07:44 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
^^^Thats a good call as well

He noted he was running the Stop Techs. They already have large chamfered edges
Old May 6, 2013, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
You didn't mention the use of the stock brembo shims in the correct orientation. I found that the brembo shims work a lot better than the after market ones.
Old May 7, 2013, 04:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
My stoptech pads took about 3 weeks before they were squeak free. However i had way too much rear bias and had to junk the rear pads for something less grippy... which is now squeeling like crazy
Old May 7, 2013, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

I was wondering about the shims... I did not use the Brembo shims, I couldn't get them off the old pads in one piece, or at least I didn't think I could. I saw the shims on the new pads and thought those might be enough. I don't have a Mitsu dealer within an hour of me, anyone know if those are available online?

As pointed out, the StopTechs have very large chamfers so I don't think that's it. I paid as much attention to it as I could on my drive in and i do believe it's just the front-driver's side making noise. I'll pull the pads tonight and see what I find. Best case - I find the ridges that Minus pointed out. Worst case, no ridges and I replace the anti-sieze with disc brake quiet and see what happens. I will likely rebed them as well.

Edit - even with the squealing, I really like this setup. May have just been age, but the old pads/rotors seemed to need a lot of pressure to really slow the car down. These have a nice, linear torque curve at least as far as my inexperienced feet can tell. And when you have to jam on them, they stop almost effortlessly. Very nice setup for less than $500 total in parts...
Old May 7, 2013, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, so got the front driver's disassembled. No edges, so that's good. Rotor looks completely fine. Pulled the pads and actually dug my old pads out of the trash. The shims on those pads are not the Brembo shims. They came off in one piece and I saved them just in case.

I pulled up this thread:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...rake-pads.html

and promptly realized I did not lube the sides of the pads. I lubed the shim and the two metal areas that grab the front and back of the pad, but the sides were not lubed and the back where the pins slide through was not lubed. I cleaned everything up and relubed, still using the silver anti-sieze and went for a drive. It's too early to tell I'm sure, but I have no noise right now. If it comes back after a little bit, I will chalk it up to the anti-sieze breaking down and get the copper stuff. If it never comes back, bonus

Thanks for the help and input guys!
Old May 8, 2013, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by detroit pistins
+1
Adding chamfers should help reduce/eliminate any noise caused by the edges of the pad. I believe the clamping force is reduced by the edges due to the distance from the piston center. grease may help dampen the vibrations as well.

here is a pic of my stockers vs ferodo.

Besides, clamping force is not reduced, that makes no difference.
Decreasing the pad area only changes the energy absorption directly related to heat and pad wear.
Old May 8, 2013, 07:12 AM
Evolving Member

Squeal came back on the way to work this morning. I'm going to rebed them tonight with StopTech's recommended 10x 60-10 stops, cool, repeat process.
Old May 8, 2013, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Often pad squeal is from an unstable contact, shims elevate this because they tend to change the pressure distribution on the pad face changing the overall reaction from the pad to the abutement.

Sounds crazy, but you may also want to try swapping the pads LH to RH side and rebed them... if they are fairly new the wear won't make a difference...
Old May 8, 2013, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

Thank you for the suggestion Joe. Just to clarify, am I switching driver to passenger side (all 4 pads) or just driver's side, switch the pads on the front and back of the rotor? I looked over the StopTech pads again and I don't see any indication of which pad should go on the inside of the rotor and which should go on the outside of the rotor. I've seen posts that say to look for arrows or wear indicators, my rears have the indicators but I can't find anything on the fronts...

Quick Reply: New centric rotors, stoptech pads, bedded, squealing?