Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

corner balancing - adjust preload or shock length?

Old Jun 25, 2017, 08:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
corner balancing - adjust preload or shock length?

I'm reading up on corner balancing, and one thing that isn't clear is the preferred way to adjust the cross corner weights. I haven't found any mention of it in any of the articles that I've found. I have Ohlins R&T, so I could do either preload or shock length. My general feeling is that shock length is preferred so that as target cross corner weight is approach, wheel travel should equalize as well.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 09:23 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Yeah, read the same thing. I always thought it was strictly ride height adjustments. Changing pre-load, to me, affects compression / rebound & would be concerned about a corner to corner imbalance.

Its, no doubt to me, art & science combined. Dont know what you track involvement is, but corner balancing is only for those at the higher end of track work IMHO
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Yeah, read the same thing. I always thought it was strictly ride height adjustments. Changing pre-load, to me, affects compression / rebound & would be concerned about a corner to corner imbalance.

Its, no doubt to me, art & science combined. Dont know what you track involvement is, but corner balancing is only for those at the higher end of track work IMHO
I don't track it, but I like to tinker with things like this.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 02:08 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

That's a lot of toil / labor if the EvO is not going to the track.

Have you seen a corner balanced car? You can likely see significant fender gaps diff from Left to Right

Anyway, I can appreciate your interest in wanting to know more about the process

Old Jun 25, 2017, 04:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Have you seen a corner balanced car? You can likely see significant fender gaps diff from Left to Right

Anyway, I can appreciate your interest in wanting to know more about the process

Not sure I'm going to do it... just investigating. Yep on the fender gaps. I already surmised that evening out the fender gaps by shock length or preload will make the corner balance worse.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

not always true. On something like a FWD Civic, yes those can get tricky to CW and might have a slight fender gap difference. But most evos I've done are pretty dang close (within 1/4inch at most).

Its really not a lot of work to CW a car unless it has some rusted coilovers that don't spin very easy.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:32 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by EVOizmm
not always true. On something like a FWD Civic, yes those can get tricky to CW and might have a slight fender gap difference. But most evos I've done are pretty dang close (within 1/4inch at most).

Its really not a lot of work to CW a car unless it has some rusted coilovers that don't spin very easy.
Thanks Andy. Thats good to know

MRfred doesnt even track the car so I was mainly expressing my opinion as to why do the CW if its just a streeter

Joe
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

I typically do not adjust the preload to get CW set.

If you installed the coilovers with each one measured to match the opposite side, then you really wont be adjusting the ride height that much at each corner.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks Andy. Thats good to know

MRfred doesnt even track the car so I was mainly expressing my opinion as to why do the CW if its just a streeter

Joe
right, but then the questions an keep going. Why have more power? why have better suspension? why not just buy a Prius?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
shock heights are ideal as I understand it.

that said, it shouldn't "matter" if the spring is always compressed more than what you add preload for. this is probably the case in the front but not always in the rear (if you lift the rear). i.e., you can add 1/2" of preload but if the spring is always compressed 2" then does it matter? the front's never going to come off the ground while racing.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
shock heights are ideal as I understand it.

that said, it shouldn't "matter" if the spring is always compressed more than what you add preload for. this is probably the case in the front but not always in the rear (if you lift the rear). i.e., you can add 1/2" of preload but if the spring is always compressed 2" then does it matter? the front's never going to come off the ground while racing.
try it. haha

I'd recommend running no preload. you remove the droop travel and like you said, will start lifting a wheel.

put just enough preload on the spring to hold it in place. then do all adjusting with the lower (moving entire shock body up/down).
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Typically, to get good CB on the evo, the passenger front, and driver rear coilovers need to be a few turns longer. You don't use preload for corner balancing. Preload isn't really something I've seen the need to use on the Evo. It's usually used to attain ride height when you want to run a softer spring, but most coilovers are ride height adjustable.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:11 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by EVOizmm
right, but then the questions an keep going. Why have more power? why have better suspension? why not just buy a Prius?

Power & some suspension upgrades you can feel on the street. CB you can not (unless youre on the track)

Ive seen you drive Andy. Maybe you could feel the CB on the street

I & most here could not

Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

you're right, you probably wont "feel" it unless you are extremely off.

just get ride height even on all 4 corners and I bet you'll be within a few % cross weight.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 01:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I get a CB and alignment at the same time when a new setup goes on. So it's hard to say what I "feel" because the car just got new coilovers, new alignment, and corner balance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: corner balancing - adjust preload or shock length?