Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Best Vendor To Buy Ohlins?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 06:16 PM
yip
Evolving Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I'm waiting to see the same. I haven't seen Xs match 8/9 lap times. Not to say they haven't, I just haven't seen it.
I've ridden in a X at an AutoX. I was happy with how AYC (I assume) let it rotate. It was impressive.
I would just assume that it is the more capable being the next gen newer chassis and drivetrain.

Old Oct 4, 2018, 07:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Mod for mod, my 10 was easily faster than my 8 on the same track
Old Oct 4, 2018, 09:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
I definitely think the 10 has a ton of potential. CT9A has the 4G and a bit lighter to start but seems like the X is really starting to catch up in some classes.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 05:50 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
The 10 is heavier (at least 2 hundred #'s) & the 4B11 makes less power (on the avg build) and has the same basic suspension configuration & mounts as the CT9A (even as a lower quality stamped steel rear suspension cross beam)

What exactly is making it a faster, better handling platform
Old Oct 5, 2018, 07:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Chassis is stiffer. Improved suspension geometry. The AYC is a big factor in making the car turn very well.

I disagree with the sentiment that the 4b11 makes less power for similar builds.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 07:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone

I disagree with the sentiment that the 4b11 makes less power for similar builds.
I agree with your disagreement Especially at stock turbo bolt on levels. I have a whole directory of dyno charts to prove that.

MinusPrevious's argument is the same tired old CT9A > Everything story.

My own personal experience says otherwise.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 07:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
In STU, doesnt the X have better OEM boost control to get more boost than the CT9A is able to get?

I do feel the AYC in the rear is what really helps the X over the 8/9 in more stock trim levels. Once you get heavily modified its performance benefits seem to be reduced, but when in the mid level bolt-on range it seems to help get the car rotating in the right areas (mid corner)
Old Oct 5, 2018, 08:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Yeah, the X has dual solenoids, so you can get like 24psi out of it with an HFC or test pipe.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 08:50 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Chassis is stiffer. Improved suspension geometry. The AYC is a big factor in making the car turn very well.

My bad on the 4B11 power. Just thought that the semi-open deck, alum block generally made less avg HP than the 63's closed deck iron (what do i know?)

My bad on the X being 200lbs plus heavier. Certainly has been proven, by you guys, as a non factor (again, what do i know?)

Old Oct 6, 2018, 12:06 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
I was told by Mike @ RRE that the Evo x chassis is as stiff as a CT9A with a full cage installed. IMO the 4b11t is clearly a better engine. As would be expected considering the 4g63 was designed in the 70’s, granted it was improved over the years. Everyone has a different "better" though so it's kind of a subjective claim.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
In STU, doesnt the X have better OEM boost control to get more boost than the CT9A is able to get?

I do feel the AYC in the rear is what really helps the X over the 8/9 in more stock trim levels. Once you get heavily modified its performance benefits seem to be reduced, but when in the mid level bolt-on range it seems to help get the car rotating in the right areas (mid corner)
What do you think about AYC vs RS rear differential?
Some people from our region reported that AYC feel more synthetic and they prefer RS rear differential
We get AYC since day 1(We have EVO from EVO 1~3)
Old Oct 9, 2018, 04:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
I was told by Mike @ RRE that the Evo x chassis is as stiff as a CT9A with a full cage installed. IMO the 4b11t is clearly a better engine. As would be expected considering the 4g63 was designed in the 70’s, granted it was improved over the years. Everyone has a different "better" though so it's kind of a subjective claim.
Bolt ons vs bolts ons and stock turbo, 4B11 makes more power on 91 than the 4g63 does, that's for sure. Not sure if it has more to do with the turbo or the internals of the engine.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
The CZ4A does have a few advantages, (...better cooling ability)
No doubt the CZ4A has a number of advantages over its predecessor. I never thought cooling was one of them. I've just always heard the opposite.
Tougher to evacuate heat from the area with highest concentration of heat - exhaust ports on firewall side. No?

OP it sounds like you are all sorted out here. For future thread readers, another great motorsports suspension tuning/service facility would be Inertia Lab out of TX. Great guys over there, built me an awesome set of Tractive dampers for my HPDE focused AP1. http://www.inertialaboratory.com/
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Apex Hunter
No doubt the CZ4A has a number of advantages over its predecessor. I never thought cooling was one of them. I've just always heard the opposite
Much better cooling setup for water and oil and air, much better designed front area.

Old Jan 27, 2019, 04:48 PM
yip
Evolving Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
So did my first track day at BW CW13 yesterday with the Ohlins. Night and difference from before but hard to say exactly how much different considering we put more camber front and rear (3.5 front 2.5 rear) along with Dallas's knuckles. I was hitting the 2:00-2:01 mark consistently. High speed steady state I could carry much more speed and turn in harder towards the apex where with the old coils and alignment I would have to back off the throttle to get it to turn in towards the apex or else it would push.

I know there is quite a bit more time left on the table with this setup as I was having issues shifting down from 5th to 4th due to a shifter issue so I was just riding 4th gear near redline in a few sections I know I could get into and hold 5th gear in. Also, my brake pedal went a bit soft at during my second session and we couldn't get it back to full pressure after 2 bleeds. They were still working good but I lost about a third of the travel before it would start to bite which made me lose a little confidence coming into the high speed braking turns. Maybe that's due to the higher speeds I'm able to maintain and causing me to have to brake harder which is putting my setup to the test?

I'll be installing my CAE shifter, working out the bugs with my brakes (EVO X front's & stock rears) and going back in a month so I'm looking forward to getting a full taste of what she can do. Hopefully the weather stays nice and we don't have any mechanical issues.

Quick Reply: Best Vendor To Buy Ohlins?