Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Coil overs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:37 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I've swapped in a 25mm rear sway bar and made my own end links, front and rear.
the car is a lot more fun ,I'll tell ya that.
I haven't used the bump street/roll center kit, so can't vouch for itsi effectiveness.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Pick up the Whiteline 24mm rear sway bar for sure (BMR65XZ)
Leave the front stock!

Yes, get the WL front bump steer & roll center kit! (KCA 395)
Thank you sir!! I will put that on my "to-buy-list"!!
Old Sep 24, 2018, 07:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
The WL RCK only corrects about 5mm. While some is better than nothing, I certainly wouldnt put a lot of priority in it. I would say one thing it can help with is bump steer if you add caster. If you have some offset top hats or control arm bushings, using just the WL ball joint without the tie rod helps.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Get some Ohlins R/T's from Performance shock inc, and the price delta isn't large enough to bother going cheaper.
Really? Ohlins come in at $2300+ and the FA 500 are $1350 and lack nothing compared to the Ohlins. Pretty big difference in price with probably no noticeable difference in performance.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 08:18 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo9isLife
Really? Ohlins come in at $2300+ and the FA 500 are $1350 and lack nothing compared to the Ohlins. Pretty big difference in price with probably no noticeable difference in performance.
Have not done a price check on aisle 5 in a while, but if those no.s are accurate, add a few options (Swift springs & the upper bearing & the locking collar option)
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I just rode in an Evo IX yesterday with the Ohlins coilovers set up by Works in Sonoma, CA.

I’ve driven and ridden in a few coilovered cars and I must say the Ohlins are IMO the best track/street setup, hands down!
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
It is pretty shocking the ride quality with the Ohlins. Ive never been in an FA equipped car so I cant speak to them. But you cant deny the Ohlin quality.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Have not done a price check on aisle 5 in a while, but if those no.s are accurate, add a few options (Swift springs & the upper bearing & the locking collar option)
Adding all of those options mean your probably getting a superior coilover (FA500) at similar price. Lets not forget that FA will custom spec valving and spring rates per application for free.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:53 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Adding all of those options mean your probably getting a superior coilover (FA500) at similar price. Lets not forget that FA will custom spec valving and spring rates per application for free.
What i would really like see, is an independent reviewer dyno a similarly specd Ohlins Vs FA

Granted, the Ohlins has a much better appearance, but is the valving technology, seals & shafts of similar quality?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

Granted, the Ohlins has a much better appearance, but is the valving technology, seals & shafts of similar quality?
Good question. I know both are high quality but FA is very transparent and informative about all of their tech and testing on their website. Cant really say the same for Ohlins. All I know is that I've been very impressed with FA 500 on an s2k and a c5 z06 that I used to own.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 05:34 PM
kaj

I don't care about transparency ,only results. That's just me ,though.
they could fill the shock with dog **** and test on diesel trucks for all I care, as long as they perform well.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 08:18 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

If you step back & look at what FA has done, you really have to appreciate the business paradigm
  • Offer custom builds per customer spec (valving, spring rates & high level springs)
  • Customer service, anytime, over the phone
  • Rebuild / upgrade services
  • Offer a product line that is competitive with other high level suspension manufacturers
  • Continue to upgrade the product line
On a side note, You know FA has reversed engineered their competitors offerings & have dyno'd them
Old Sep 24, 2018, 08:48 PM
kaj

If you step back & look at what FA has done, you really have to appreciate the business paradigm
  • Offer custom builds per customer spec (valving, spring rates & high level springs)
  • Customer service, anytime, over the phone
  • Rebuild / upgrade services
  • Offer a product line that is competitive with other high level suspension manufacturers
  • Continue to upgrade the product line
On a side note, You know FA has reversed engineered their competitors offerings & have dyno'd them
All that ^ is why I recommend FA to anyone looking for a decent, well-priced coilover and don't want to spend the extra for Ohlins. Or, if a track-only car, I'd go with FA because I don't think the premium for Ohlins would be beneficial for me. Terry, at FA, is a VERY cool dude. Having access to that kind of resource is worth more than you can put a price tag on.
I only recommend Ohlins over FA in this thread because he asked for an all-around performer. If FA can figure out how to match Ohlins in the "comfort" category, it would be a no-brainer. Until then..
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
It is pretty shocking the ride quality with the Ohlins. Ive never been in an FA equipped car so I cant speak to them. But you cant deny the Ohlin quality.
FA's aren't that great. I've ridden in a few cars with them. Pretty much felt marginally better than all the pick your color 36way Chinese dampers.

As for the guy saying Ohlins are $2300. Contact Performance Shock for your best price. Like I said in my first comment on this page.

When I ordered my Ohlins, I paid just north of $2300, that was with 12k rear springs and revalving the rear shocks. They can be had for <$2k if you don't purchase springs and/or have them revalved.

And no, you will NOT have a "higher quality" coilover by getting an "optioned out" FA500 over the Ohlins.

Save your pesos, buy once, cry once.
The following users liked this post:
Strm Trpr (Sep 25, 2018)
Old Sep 25, 2018, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
I don't care about transparency ,only results. That's just me ,though.
they could fill the shock with dog **** and test on diesel trucks for all I care, as long as they perform well.
... yes, this is why I mentioned their shock dyno testing results they post on their site.