Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Coil overs

Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
You will save money with the FA's as mentioned above. I've not looked into the newest ones you are talking about but they sound nice and if I service mine I might do the upgrade offers. I have the FA Gen 6's and they do well for me. I have driven on both Ohlins and FA's and I was more in for the budget savings at the time for my setup. I have found myself often thinking that I might have been better off going with the Ohlins to begin with but they were $3k when I was shopping. The prices you shared sheds light on the fact the lesser brands are moving the price gap closer to Ohlins. Are the FA's with the new updates the better choice ? Not sure, FA offers a great product and do very well as they can offer a custom build. Also others mentioned the strong support for Ohlins here, you can't go wrong.
Whichever brand you decide, be sure to learn how to install them correctly and or have someone who knows how to do the install correctly. Having them setup properly will make for the best experience. If they are not setup correctly you will hate your purchase.

Last edited by Wanted EVO IX; Jan 4, 2019 at 11:23 AM.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wanted EVO IX
You will save money with the FA's as mentioned above. I've not looked into the newest ones you are talking about but they sound nice and if I service mine I might do the upgrade offers. I have the FA Gen 6's and they do well for me. I have driven on both Ohlins and FA's and I was more in for the budget savings at the time for my setup. I have found myself often thinking that I might have been better off going with the Ohlins to begin with but they were $3k when I was shopping. The prices you shared sheds light on the fact the lesser brands are moving the price gap closer to Ohlins. Are the FA's with the new updates the better choice ? Not sure, FA offers a great product and do very well as they can offer a custom build. Also others mentioned the strong support for Ohlins here, you can't go wrong.
Whichever brand you decide, be sure to learn how to install them correctly and or have someone who knows how to do the install correctly. Having them setup properly will make for the best experience. If they are not setup correctly you will hate your purchase.
Could you tell much of a difference between the two and Would you say the Swift or Hyperco spring upgrade is a must do?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 01:33 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankwalker
Could you tell much of a difference between the two and Would you say the Swift or Hyperco spring upgrade is a must do?
Very unlikely you would notice the diff. I went w/the Swifts, just because. (i was sold on the lighter weight & more precise value) You would have to be at some high level to notice a spring brand diff

Old Jan 4, 2019, 05:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Ohlins springs are heaviest followed by Hyperco and then Swift. Swift are amazingly light, but this is achieved by using a very high strength steel that can go through a greater range of elastic strain. Because of this, Swifts also experience higher stresses and a higher chance of fatigue crack growth. Hyperco are already pleasingly lighter than factory Ohlins, so I've been using Hyperco.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 05:43 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Hyperco are also my favorite and what I choose to run. Great springs.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I’m not sure I can respond to Hyperco springs as the Ohlins I’ve driven I never knew exactly what springs they had on their cars but they were softer spring rates than what FA recommended for my car. As for Swift springs I did try and liked them more than the standard FA springs. As mentioned they felt lighter and more responsive, looking back I would definitely do the Swift Spring upgrade over the standard FA springs. Be sure to inform whoever you buy from your desired driving plans “ track only, mix track and autocross, street and track” This will help the supplier giving you the correct spring rates and maybe other options to meet your need. I was able to achieve this by speaking with FA directly and order what the rep said would suit my needs. I run 10k Front spring rate and 12k Rear spring rate on my car.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Wanted EVO IX

I’m not sure I can respond to Hyperco springs as the Ohlins I’ve driven I never knew exactly what springs they had on their cars but they were softer spring rates than what FA recommended for my car. As for Swift springs I did try and liked them more than the standard FA springs. As mentioned they felt lighter and more responsive, looking back I would definitely do the Swift Spring upgrade over the standard FA springs. Be sure to inform whoever you buy from your desired driving plans “ track only, mix track and autocross, street and track” This will help the supplier giving you the correct spring rates and maybe other options to meet your need. I was able to achieve this by speaking with FA directly and order what the rep said would suit my needs. I run 10k Front spring rate and 12k Rear spring rate on my car.
I assume that's a pretty stiff setup? Don't plan to do any autocross. Just street driving and road course. From what I was reading FA also uses different springs in Thier new Gen7s, not sure how they compare to the old springs, or how they would compare to swift or Hyperco though...
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:07 AM
kaj

I assume that's a pretty stiff setup? Don't plan to do any autocross. Just street driving and road course. From what I was reading FA also uses different springs in Thier new Gen7s, not sure how they compare to the old springs, or how they would compare to swift or Hyperco though...
10/12 is a common Evo setup. Kinda the "standard". Some of us run softer, some of the hard-core dudes run stiffer (especially with a sticker tire).
Old Jan 5, 2019, 05:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
10/12 is a common Evo setup. Kinda the "standard". Some of us run softer, some of the hard-core dudes run stiffer (especially with a sticker tire).
8k/9k is about the most I can stand on Ohlins R&T. Anything above this causes the car to follow the road contours so strongly as to be uncomfortable on anything but smooth roads.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 06:02 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Originally Posted by mrfred
8k/9k is about the most I can stand on Ohlins R&T. Anything above this causes the car to follow the road contours so strongly as to be uncomfortable on anything but smooth roads.
Jason is correct in noting 10k/12k is a go-to rate spec but wanted to add a little more detail. 10k/12k IMO should be spec'd only if you plan on doing some track work

If youre just street driving Fred has a good spec noted at 8k/9k. But, im my situation, i am no longer tracking & enjoy by FA510's on the Swift 10k/12k set-up. Takes the street hits in stride
The following users liked this post:
kaj (Jan 5, 2019)
Old Jan 5, 2019, 06:10 PM
kaj

All true!
I started out a 8/10 and am now up to 9/11. My car did GREAT at 8/10 (on the road course.... autox was lacking a bit) with the tires I was running (RE71, R-S4) but went to 9/11 to reduce body roll a bit and because I'm now on NT01s. I haven't tested them, yet..so not sure if I'll stick with those rates.
This is on a car that is not daily driven and rarely around town other than for local meets, etc. I have driven it 1.5hrs each way to the track, on the 8/10, and it rode just fine. This is with AST 4100s on a 3100lb car. The Ohlins would have been even nicer and I'd probably feel comfortable daily driving them with 9/11 or maybe even 10/12 (tires willing) since they are dampened so well.
The following users liked this post:
MinusPrevious (Jan 5, 2019)
Old Jan 7, 2019, 01:41 PM

So I did some shopping around and can get a set of the new Gen7 500s with swift springs for $1400 shipped. Wich is basically free swift springs and shipping. I can get the 510s with swift springs for $2275,but if im going to spend 2k+ I feel like I should just get the Ohlins. The FA500s come standard 8k8k... Would it be safe to say to just go with 8k10k? Car will see the street more than the track but is not a daily. Hope to make it to the track at least 4-5 times this year. Running a 26mm RSB if that makes a difference in the rear rates, 255 or 265(still have decided between staying on 17s or going 18s) 200TW tires AD08Rs or A052s...
Old Jan 7, 2019, 04:01 PM
kaj

I've run 8/10 for a number of years and the car did great!
Old Jan 7, 2019, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by kaj
I've run 8/10 for a number of years and the car did great!
you were on the Ohlins, right?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 05:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,321 Posts
I say get ohlins. Saving maybe $500 isn't worth it. They are 100% better for street manners, and the bump absorption capability directly translates to autocross and track performance because I've never been in a perfect parking lot for AX, or an a brand new 100% not bumpy road course.

Search this Thread