Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Sound System Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2010, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound System Upgrade

Looking to grab some ideas from EVOM users as to what everybody has done with their sound systems. Pictures, pricing, parts, etc would be greatly apprecaited!
Old Jul 7, 2010, 10:34 PM

Alpine CDA 9856 HU w/Full speed iPod connector
2 6.5" Alpine Type R speakers w/tweeters
1 12" Memphis M3 sub in ported box
Alpine MRD M605 Amp for Sub
Alpine MRP F300 Amp for Speakers
Dynamat in front speakers

Total cost with wiring and install was probably about $1500..sounds pretty nice IMO.

If you are less interested in bass and more interested just quality audio, skip the sub and get two speakers for the rear deck (having a sub and rear speakers can cause a lot of distortion in the rear speakers due to the subs vibration).
Old Jul 8, 2010, 02:46 AM
Evolved Member

i would like to see pictures of some setups as well.

for me, right now, not yet in the X but in my mazda is

JL front components $300~
JL W6 12X2
JL 1000w amp
JL 300w amp
old pioneer premier deck

when i transfer to my X in october I will be bringing over 1 of the 12's (if i don't buy a w6 10) the 1000w amp, 300w amp, and will be buying the AVIC-Z120bt with some new interior speakers (looking at sticking with JL's in the front and back, i like JL :-) )

EDIT: BTW 2 W6's is ridiculous, waste of cash in my opinion. I used to do sound off's when I had my s10 extended cab, and I still think this is to much. 2 W3 12's was nice, with the w6's i can't even turn the amp half way, and on the head unit i have the subs at -1. And even with 2 layers of dynamat in the trunk and 1 in the entire car, it is just insanely loud (although JL has great SQ)

Last edited by oftheheavens; Jul 8, 2010 at 02:49 AM.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 10:07 AM

yeah before I had my M3, I was running a W6v2 - very loud sub. IMO the M3 is even louder, with a slight sacrifice in SQ. I was using a sealed box for my W6, whereas now I have a ported box with the M3, which could explain the difference in loudness and SQ between the subs.

And for the sake of your ears and the structure of your car, only get 1 sub! Two subs will have your car rattling down the street lol
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:08 PM

My self-install setup includes:

Pioneer Premier FH-P800BT headunit
Alpine R-series components and coax speakers
Sony Walkman X through the aux-in
Moto Droid via BT

I have the Metra dash kit and didn't mind it at first, but it's been getting on my nerves. I just ordered a JDM double din fit kit.

The Walkman is mounted on a 3/8" round magnet from home depot. The mount is completed with a 1/2" spacer and some double sided tape. It works well and is invisible when in use.

The Droid is in its car dock.

The BT mic works well mounted in the upper left of the windshield. I've seen stealth installations of BT mics, but this location is the best for clarity with my setup.

The next step is going to involve an 8" Kicker L7 in a custom enclosure just aft of the center console.

Last edited by obmcgyno; Jul 12, 2010 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Pricing: This is a $600-700 install, excluding the Walkman and Droid. May add amps/sub later but not out of necessity.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

^^^ Clean! what was the issue with the Metra Kit? rattling?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 02:08 PM

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...v-gsr-kit.html

Old Jul 18, 2010, 09:54 AM

I didn't mind the Metra kit as much as I thought I would initially. The fit wasn't good, but it did the job and came with the stereo from Crutchfield. The problem arose later as the kit started to pop out of its connection points.

The stock stereo is a single din chassis with auxiliary controls that are integrated in the face of the dash. The chassis is attached to dash frame by metal mounting brackets, and the controls/face just snap in over the top.

The Metra kit takes the metal mounting brackets out of the equation and attaches directly to the chasis. So the weight of the chassis is ultimately resting on the snap connectors in the dash frame. After months of aggressive cornering, the Metra kit is bound to weasel it's way out of those points. That's the only reason I am now spending the extra $250 to get the oem double din kit from japanparts. The metal mounting brackets are more secure.