Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Vent Boost Gauge VBG1 ( Digital Led Bars & numerics )

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2012, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks guys ... exactly what I was waiting to hear!!
Old May 17, 2012, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm curious about your vac hose routing. I was going to use the path used in another how to thread that goes through a grommet on the floor panel. Do you have more pictures documenting the route you did?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by ghozt
Instal was very simple. Even with taking pictures for the step by step, it took about 3hrs. So I figure 1.5 hours if you are not trying to document along the way. honestly the hardest part was fitting it in the vent and routing the ribbon cable, but I think I documented a pretty good way to do it, that I will have in my write up with pics.

Pros: It has ALOT of features. It is more of a gauge display system, than just a boost gauge. I was looking into a HUD and this is meeting all the needs I wanted for that and I am calling off the search for a HUD. I know it is not technically in my forward field of view, but it is very easy to read and get the info I need at a blink glance.

I will be doing the PLX AFR addition as soon as the PLX arrives in the mail. But even without the ARF as the aux input gauge, you get boost/vac (with boost plot graph which is pretty cool, and the red LED sweep options) and voltmeter.

Out of the package the faceplate looks very small. Much smaller that I was expecting, it has to fit within the vent, but somehow the pictures made it seem bigger. However this turned out not to be a Con, but rather made the gauge very stealth. I love that I don't have the 3 dingleberrys hanging off my A pillar like my Z had for the same gauges this one display does. Also the brightness and crispness of the OLED screens make the display much more legible than one might think looking at pictures. It is very clear and easy to discern from a glance. As far the post above being concerned with the heat going through the air vent, all of the soldering and circuitry looks top notch. It would take more heat than a heater vent can put out to melt this solder job. Plus they have been in Subies and other cars for a while and tested that aspect so I am not at all concerned about the heat or cold coming through the vent.

As for the AC reaching me, it is only 85 here is Texas where I live, but the vent still seems to blow as much air on me as it did before and the move-ability of the louvers remains intact so I can still direct the air. I don't see an issue here either.

As for instal, I ran silicone vac line through firewall at main wire harness boot. Then over the top of the round roll bar behind dash (mainly to stay above steering linkage) It then pops out right behind the air vent as if it was ment to take that route. The electrical is pretty simple. Just power from fuse 12 (also powers my homelink mirror. And ground to bolt on lower metal dash support, just below fuse box.

Attachment 188480

My only con is more of a suggestion. Mounting the pressure sensor seemed challenging. Only because our car does not allow a good place to zip tie or screw to that I could find and the boost sensor does not have screw tabs. So I used double sided tape on the back and stuck it to the plastic on the inside below the air vent. My suggestion is that perhaps the double sided tape could com pre attached on the boost sensor for our car's version. Simple fix none the less.

Attachment 188479

I give this product out of 5!
Old May 19, 2012, 03:28 PM

Install instructions in PDF - based on my install

Let me know if I left anything out or something does not make sense. Hard to convey a week later than when I did the install, and I don't have much technical writing experience. Hope this helps someone on the fence.

EVO X VBG1 install write up.pdf
Old May 28, 2012, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

Awesome writeup Ghozt ... will definitely come in handy!!
Old May 31, 2012, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I had everything hooked up, power, ground, AFR. Turned the ignition to "on" everything worked and then it shut off and now I can't get it to
Come back on. I re did the ground, I checked the fuse. All looks fine. After like 3-4 hours I'm frustrated as hell and giving up for the night.
Old May 31, 2012, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

Maybe the ribbon cable came loose??
Old May 31, 2012, 08:15 PM
Evolving Member

On the back of the face plate? I'll check in the AM and update
Old May 31, 2012, 10:40 PM

When you say "shut off" do you mean the two oled displays and the red led boost meter and not lighting up? What happens if you touch the top touch sensitive button on the right? trying to figure out if it could just be that your sleep mode went active due to no activity. Have you driven the car since install?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

Like nothing is lit up at all I tried hitting the buttons. I started the car and everything. Even reset the battery.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 08:14 AM
Evolving Member

I think either the Ribbon Cable is not fully seated, or maybe you got a bad unit??
Old Jun 1, 2012, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

Just checked and re checked and re seated the ribbon cable still nothing..
Old Jun 1, 2012, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

It's not the ground, I have switched from
Bolt to bolt with no luck.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

Also disconnected the yellow wire from
My wideband just to see and still nothing.. I'm now out of options on what it could be.

My car is in shambles because of this tiny gauge that won't work.. I have to go back to work tomorrow..
Old Jun 1, 2012, 08:58 AM
Evolving Member

Changed the fuses around to see if maybe it was a bad fuse.. Nope still nothing. At this point I'm thinking something blew on the piece itself.. It worked for 3-5 seconds and then shut off and can't get it to work since.

I was so happy to finally have a stealthy piece too
Old Jun 1, 2012, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

Weird ... try contacting Andy @ alosee@gtboostgauge.com

Quick Reply: Vent Boost Gauge VBG1 ( Digital Led Bars & numerics )