Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Vent Boost Gauge VBG1 ( Digital Led Bars & numerics )

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2012, 10:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What nick said....

But other things you could check in the mean time
- did you hook up illumination wire? If so undo that and go back to just power and ground only

- shot in the dark here, but I'm sure you checked that the wire harness did not come disconnected between the seloniod unit and the power/ground connection points? My vbg1 came with a black connector that lead to the bare tail wires

- last thing I can think of is your fuses. I know you said you checked them, but there are two in the add a fuse and one will be for the existing accessory that was in the fuse socket. The other fuse will be for the vbg1. Did you check both? Do you have a volt meter to see if you are getting 12V DC from that black connector red wire to ground?

Good luck.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't have the illumination hooked up, did check the harness clip of course. I checked both in the add a fuse and even switched the one out still nothing. I don't have a voltmeter, my last resort is going back to the butt connector that I crimped for the power/add a fuse and making sure I crimped it good, should I strip some off the end and re
Crimp so I know it has a good connection?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 10:54 AM

So I had everything hooked up, power, ground, AFR. Turned the ignition to "on" everything worked and then it shut off and now I can't get it to
Come back on. I re did the ground, I checked the fuse. All looks fine. After like 3-4 hours I'm frustrated as hell and giving up for the night.
Were you touching the gauge when it was powered up? There a chance you could be in "black out mode" . Try a few down swipes on the gauge buttons while the ignition is on.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

Will try this ASAP when I get home.. If this is all the problem is I may be really angry lol.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

That was the problem... Omg lol

Next problem. The left LCD screen (vac) is just reading "0". Yes the car was running
Lol. Yes the vac hose is hooked up correctly. That engine
Bay grommet was super super hard to get through though. Wondering if maybe that can cut off air through the hose?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not sure how anyone could use this grommet, last night it took me almost an hour just to get the hose past it. Then I broke then hose trying to pull it through cause it was so tight. Now it's so tight the hose is completely smashed closed. I tried cutting a gap for the hose with no luck. Not sure how this could ever work
Old Jun 1, 2012, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Try this write-up for getting the hose through ...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...lean-hell.html
Old Jun 1, 2012, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

I looked at that but can't do it cause I have the mudflaps and they are drilled in
Old Jun 1, 2012, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Crap ... I was hoping you could test it out before I try it tomorrow

I have not tried getting through the Engine Grommet myself ... were you following ghozt's write-up??
Old Jun 1, 2012, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

Alright problem solved, now just gotta figure out why my AFR is reading like 19 at idle lol
Old Jun 1, 2012, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

It looks absolutely horrible. And by that I mean, its horrible that you're only deving it for the Evo X.....

Now, if you were also working on a VIII/IX option then opinions may be swayed....
Old Jun 1, 2012, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Any ideas why my AFR on the gauge is reading like 5 higher than my actual AFR?

I have both the wideband and gauge grounded to chassis, I updated log works and made sure it was right.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 02:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vacuum leak. Vacuum leaks can cause lean condition. Being that you just added a vacuum line, disconnect it and cap off the line and re check afr. If afr is back to 14.5 ish .... Then you need to redo/fix vacuum line. If no change then it is a leak somewhere else or some other issue.

Or you have the input setting for aux input on the vbg1 set to the incorrect wideband model. Not sure on this one, just a hunch.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

So I have the defi boost gauge and aem wideband currently installed on my X. If I bought the VBG1 could I eliminate both gauges and display boost and afr at the same time with this system?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ghozt
Vacuum leak. Vacuum leaks can cause lean condition. Being that you just added a vacuum line, disconnect it and cap off the line and re check afr. If afr is back to 14.5 ish .... Then you need to redo/fix vacuum line. If no change then it is a leak somewhere else or some other issue.

Or you have the input setting for aux input on the vbg1 set to the incorrect wideband model. Not sure on this one, just a hunch.
I logged my AFR at the same time via evoscan and it read 14.6-14.7 at idle which is dead on. The gauge was reading roughly 5 higher (19.7).

Didn't know I could change the input setting on the VBG1. Would be nice if it was a sole fix like that.

Quick Reply: Vent Boost Gauge VBG1 ( Digital Led Bars & numerics )