Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Boost Controllers and such...

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2009, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost Controllers and such...

So I'm very new to this stuff, and in the past I have simply just picked up a MBC and been done with it. However, this time I want to see if I can't learn something and maybe even make a thread others can learn from too.

I've been looking around trying to figure out what type of Boost Controller I want to get. As far as I know the options are...

Manual Boost Controller (MBC)
Electronic Boost Controller (EBC)
X Port Port Boost Controller (PBC)

Now if I'm not mistaken the MBC is fairly straight forward it just uses different spring rates to control the boost taper and you set it and forget it.

However on the flip side of that coin the EBC allows a greater degree of control over tuning aspects, and are adjustable according to different things like gear & rpms. My friend sent me this link, which I thought was pretty slick. (http://splparts.com/doc/tech/EBC.htm)

Lastly, if I'm not mistaken, which I probably am, there's are 2, & 3 Port Boost Controllers on the market and they each give varying levels of control. The concept behind the PBC is to allow the computer to manage different aspects of the boost according to Air Fuel ratios, Gears, RPMs, and other tuning aspects allowing a tuner to really tweak the ECU for optimal performance.

With that said, I've just started trying to figure out what PBCs are available for my car, but I wanted to get this post up in case I've misunderstood certain aspects, or if there are other things I should consider when looking for a 3 port boost controller.

Aside from that synapses suggestions on 3 PBCs to look at would be greatly appreciated!
Old May 15, 2009, 05:11 PM

personally, I'm just going to let the ecu handle boost.

good idea or bad idea?
Old May 15, 2009, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

I don't think there's anything wrong with that personally.

The 2 port solenoid that comes stock and adding a boost pill will do wonders for you. Talk to your tuner and find out if he recommends also switching to a 3 port and see what he says, I'd be curious to know.

I am planning on getting an EBC and hopefully a couple stored maps. Gas mileage and all. But that's just a plan and we all know how often plans come together.
Old May 15, 2009, 05:25 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Koroshiya
I don't think there's anything wrong with that personally.

The 2 port solenoid that comes stock and adding a boost pill will do wonders for you. Talk to your tuner and find out if he recommends also switching to a 3 port and see what he says, I'd be curious to know.

I am planning on getting an EBC and hopefully a couple stored maps. Gas mileage and all. But that's just a plan and we all know how often plans come together.
What's the difference between the 2 port solenoid that comes stock and the upgraded 3 port solenoid?
Old May 17, 2009, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evolutionXmute
personally, I'm just going to let the ecu handle boost.

good idea or bad idea?
great idea. the stock system works excellent.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 12:49 AM
Evolving Member

Old Jun 4, 2009, 08:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check out this new electronic boost controller from Turbosmart, cheaper than Greddy and Apexi will all the features and more!
Old Jun 4, 2009, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Clipse3GT
What's the difference between the 2 port solenoid that comes stock and the upgraded 3 port solenoid?
I believe the 3 port BCS will allow you to hold higher boost with ECU based boost control. Mfred, found this out. I have heard you can boost up to 26psi, but the ECU needs some additional code changes to some tables in the ECU. I believe there are also tuners which offer this mod as a service.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...t-control.html
Old Jun 4, 2009, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Idk but the day the BLOCK-TW-STWC shoes come out im getting them for sure!