Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

tuning help needed

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tuning help needed

Hey i have a issue i was wondering if anybody could help. I'm trying to get my tune right and running into some issues. It seems like no matter what i do my car runs lean. Only way i could get the ratio close was to adjust the fuel cyl trims. I am able to get it to 14.7-15.4 under no boost throttle and 11.3-10.5 but im still getting lean spikes. Is it possiable that i need to scale the maf. Here is my setup let me know what im doing wrong please.
4b11 na 10:1 c/r
evo x manifold and turbo
evo x injectors
evo x cams
evo x front mount intercooler
3 inch cold piping 2.5 inch hot. intercooler piping
short ram intake using cone filter.

can anybody guide me on how to adjust the maf scaling? I'm using a 3inch intake.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

sounds normal to me ... some run screen shots will be nice and easy to identify or to help you out.

mr or gsr ?

checked/swapped yr relays ?

injectors scaled ? brand ?

more info more help u get :P
Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:31 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dadsgts
Hey i have a issue i was wondering if anybody could help. I'm trying to get my tune right and running into some issues. It seems like no matter what i do my car runs lean. Only way i could get the ratio close was to adjust the fuel cyl trims. I am able to get it to 14.7-15.4 under no boost throttle and 11.3-10.5 but im still getting lean spikes. Is it possiable that i need to scale the maf. Here is my setup let me know what im doing wrong please.
4b11 na 10:1 c/r
evo x manifold and turbo
evo x injectors
evo x cams
evo x front mount intercooler
3 inch cold piping 2.5 inch hot. intercooler piping
short ram intake using cone filter.

can anybody guide me on how to adjust the maf scaling? I'm using a 3inch intake.
Sounds like you might have an incapable fuel pump (or wiring)... but thats not for sure. Also, some lean spikes are not abnormal.

Where are the lean spikes happening? ...for how long? ...we need more info.

Also, I'm not sure about the GTS ecu, but the evo ECU figures load based on the lowest of 3 calculated loads... so if your MDP / MAP is reading low that could possibly contribute... is load jumping around?

Here is your MAF scaling info, but you need to find out if that is the problem before adjusting it... otherwise you could wind up even further out there: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/8333073-post2.html
Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:32 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by E6-X
sounds normal to me ... some run screen shots will be nice and easy to identify or to help you out.

mr or gsr ?

checked/swapped yr relays ?

injectors scaled ? brand ?

more info more help u get :P
GTS, OE injectors as he posted
Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

I'm using a evolution x rom the spike is right before boost.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 01:02 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by dadsgts
I'm using a evolution x rom the spike is right before boost.
This is not terribly abnormal from a basic description, but really... we need more data if we are going to asses your issue.

If it doesn't knock, not a big deal.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fostytou
This is not terribly abnormal from a basic description, but really... we need more data if we are going to asses your issue.

If it doesn't knock, not a big deal.

I will run some logs tomorrow and post them on here. I have some dyno time i need to use so tomorrow im going to run three pulls and log the whole time of course.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

need fueling help

i know i dont have a evo but i have a gts with a evo x turbo setup. I run a evo 10 base rom and things work great. However when i tuned the car i was not able to get afr's right without adjusting the indvidual fuel trims per cyl. I had to set them at 9.5 from 20%load to 320 % load at all rpms. This really bothers me because i just feel like i cheated. The issue is the fuel system. The gts runs a returnless system so i am not able to adjust fuel pressure. I feel like if i could simply turn the fuel pressure up this issue would be resolved. Problem is i cant run a return system becuase there is no options for fuel rails. Evo x doesnt fit since the mounting points are way diffrent. So i was thinking of swapping out my evo x injectors for a set of 750cc to see if that would increase under boost. But wiht the lack of a fpr i feel like im wasting my time..Will running my tune with the cyl trims this low result in damage to the injectors or am i simply changing the duty cycle by doing this? sorry foir the long post but this is really eating at me. Again car runs fine at all points. under boost i hit afr's between 11.3-11.8 and under normal driving 14.7-15.2 Being that afr's are ok should i just say screw it and leave it?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:16 PM
EvoM Community Team

Whitespace man... your posts are hard to read.

If it works for now I would say leave it for now. Do you actually *know* if the fuel pressure is dropping?

If so, try to find a way to make a return. Doesn't the evo fuel rail bolt to the IM? Maybe you can just get a used IM? Would a boost-a-pump help out?
Old Feb 22, 2011, 01:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
Does the GTS have a 3bar map sensor?

An Evo ROM would require a 3bar map sensor (otherwise the loads would be funny) OR rescaling the MAP (See my omni4bar howto and modify appropriately for the GTS sensor)