Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Engine longevity.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2010, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine longevity.

I recognize there are many variables involved will that impact a motor's longevity (tune, oil, type of use, other mods, etc), but am interested in some general perspective on how long one can reasonably expect the Evo X motor to last during road racing (only).

For argument's sake, let's presume stock internals with bolt ons devloping 420-440 hp at the wheels. Usually this is measured in hours (as miles are somewhat irrelevant) and so 2 hours could be reasonably seen as one track day. If the car sees 20 track days per season then you'd be at 40 hours +/-, for example.

Any thoughts? thanks.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnr352
I recognize there are many variables involved will that impact a motor's longevity (tune, oil, type of use, other mods, etc), but am interested in some general perspective on how long one can reasonably expect the Evo X motor to last during road racing (only).

For argument's sake, let's presume stock internals with bolt ons devloping 420-440 hp at the wheels. Usually this is measured in hours (as miles are somewhat irrelevant) and so 2 hours could be reasonably seen as one track day. If the car sees 20 track days per season then you'd be at 40 hours +/-, for example.

Any thoughts? thanks.
like you said there are too many variables involved to provide a decent estimate at how long a motor will last. The main thing not being variables you can forsee (preventative maintenance, tuning, etc.), but the ones you can't. I.E parts failing and such.

That said.... as a mechanic I notice that engine failure rate drastically increases past 100k miles on the engine on your average DD. Doesn't really provide you with alot of info, but if I were a competitive track racer with a need to keep my car on the track, I'd start looking to get a spare engine ready around 50k miles.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Did Gates' stock motor make it to 15k miles? I thought it was a bit less than that. His miles were mostly on the track.

He's now getting his third built motor...he's had a string of bad luck this season. Even built motors are no guarantee when it comes to racing.

Last edited by mlomker; Dec 7, 2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:52 PM

Curious to this aswell. I know that the 4g63 is a pretty strong motor. I plan on it being my DD, taking it to the strip once in a while and having all bolt ons. I would assume this would be fine for the evox
Old Dec 7, 2010, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

I'm shooting for 120 - 140 hours, which would be about 3 to 4 years of racing, all other preventative issues being reasonably observed.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

I have an VIII that has 128k miles on it, with 30+ track days (road racing). Stock bottom end and turbo, and I beat on it hard! Hopefully the X's will see similar reliability. This past Saturday, one of my buddies co-drove the car, so 8 thirty-minute sessions in one day, pretty reliable..
Old Dec 8, 2010, 03:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TxEvo8
I have an VIII that has 128k miles on it, with 30+ track days (road racing). Stock bottom end and turbo, and I beat on it hard! Hopefully the X's will see similar reliability. This past Saturday, one of my buddies co-drove the car, so 8 thirty-minute sessions in one day, pretty reliable..
Impressive!