Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ugly Noise at Cold Start-Up

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
And this noise occurs before you put the car in gear?

As to the idea that it's ABS self-diagnosis, I hope you at least got a good laugh out of this.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowa999
And this noise occurs before you put the car in gear?

As to the idea that it's ABS self-diagnosis, I hope you at least got a good laugh out of this.
yeah without even changing gears or moving the car at all. And yeah ABS has rEVOlutionized in our cars.

Im going to check a diff dealer and see what happens, or wait till something breaks i guess
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by AWDTerror
Mine does this too, but mine sounds more like belt squeal/scratching noise coming from the driver side of the car. It's done it for as long as I could remember, figured it was something with the starter.
Same issue. . Same clutch as u.. With map flywheel.. It only does it cold start up when it 30 degrees and under
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Logitech80
Same issue. . Same clutch as u.. With map flywheel.. It only does it cold start up when it 30 degrees and under
I live in FL, and temps are not as low as where you are. Right now the lowest it has gone is on the 50's and it still makes the noise. I have the stock flywheel, had it resurfaced when I installed my clutch. Still no clue what the problem is, at this point I am just waiting for something to break to take it to the warranty.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Video? Have you checked the bolts?
Old Jun 25, 2013, 02:42 PM

Sound is getting worse now. More frequent. I went to dealer and they say they can hear it but don't know what it is so I would have to pay for diagnosis. I got a video see:

You can hear it on (sec 8) of the video. It's coming from the back of the car. Only at start up.

Anyone that can please have an idea. Please write back

Thanks
Old Jul 21, 2013, 07:03 PM

no indicator lights on the dash?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:34 AM
kbl

Originally Posted by Alkaedas_Inc
been looking around and can't find what the problem is.

My Evo X makes a loud clunk noise (is like a metal bang noise and it only sounds once) whenever the car is cool down and I start it up for the first time.

The noise comes after around 4-5 seconds after the engine is running, without me moving the car or doing anything else but let it idle.

If i shut it off and start it again, the noise wont come on. The car runs great and has no mechanical issues whatsoever.

Has anyone had this problem before? what can be the cause and how can I fix this.

This noise is very annoying everytime I go somewhere and start my car up when is cool down and it makes this ugly sound.

Thanks for any help

Hi, I recently bought a GSR (SST) and I am experiencing this same exact problem upon start-up. Have you been able to diagnose this problem?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kbl
Hi, I recently bought a GSR (SST) and I am experiencing this same exact problem upon start-up. Have you been able to diagnose this problem?
My new 08 used to do that at the beginning, but not very loud. A few seconds after engine cold start. They told me it was the awd system resetting itself, like a calibration. Then I got a full exhaust and I never heard it again for obvious reasons. It sounded like putting an auto tranny into drive. Never had a problem.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 06:26 PM

Did u fix this?

[QUOTE=Alkaedas_Inc;10595320]been looking around and can't find what the problem is.

My Evo X makes a loud clunk noise (is like a metal bang noise and it only sounds once) whenever the car is cool down and I start it up for the first time.

The noise comes after around 4-5 seconds after the engine is running, without me moving the car or doing anything else but let it idle.

If i shut it off and start it again, the noise wont come on. The car runs great and has no mechanical issues whatsoever.

Has anyone had this problem before? what can be the cause and how can I fix this.

This noise is very annoying everytime I go somewhere and start my car up when is cool down and it makes this ugly sound.

Thanks for any help[/

Did you fix this problem? Im having same issue
Old Apr 12, 2020, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Alkaedas_Inc
been looking around and can't find what the problem is.

Thanks for any help
did u fix it ?