Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

ACD/AYC pump failure reports

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2018, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2013
Pump started to fail: ~60k miles

Mine is 100% shot. What dealerships have Jersey people had success getting the pump replaced without any nonsense service denial issues due to a tune? I'm on the PA/NJ border and willing to travel to avoid the dealership's games. Dealership I bought it from in PA has brought up the tune excuse with other issues in the past, so I won't be taking it to them.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by betweenthepipes
Year: 2013
Pump started to fail: ~60k miles

Mine is 100% shot. What dealerships have Jersey people had success getting the pump replaced without any nonsense service denial issues due to a tune? I'm on the PA/NJ border and willing to travel to avoid the dealership's games. Dealership I bought it from in PA has brought up the tune excuse with other issues in the past, so I won't be taking it to them.
This summer mine began to fail at under 55k miles. I took it into Jeff D'Ambrosio Mistubishi Downingtown. The service rep asks if u're tuned (the proper answer is no, he knew I was tuned). He took mine without issue and ran the code. Unfortunately, mine isn't dead yet so Mitsubishi can't do anything about it. He said once it dies to come back and they'll do the replacement. What I am suggesting is you can go there and give it a try. If yours is truely dead and they service you without hassle, then that'll give me some confirmation that they actually will take me in once it's time.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NEpsiOver21
This summer mine began to fail at under 55k miles. I took it into Jeff D'Ambrosio Mistubishi Downingtown. The service rep asks if u're tuned (the proper answer is no, he knew I was tuned). He took mine without issue and ran the code. Unfortunately, mine isn't dead yet so Mitsubishi can't do anything about it. He said once it dies to come back and they'll do the replacement. What I am suggesting is you can go there and give it a try. If yours is truely dead and they service you without hassle, then that'll give me some confirmation that they actually will take me in once it's time.
Just out of curiosity, what happens when it's totally dead? My tarmac light was flashing and the actuator code showed up on the service departments tool and this seemed to be enough to replace it. I do not know if mine was totally dead or just on it's way.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 04:39 AM

**deleted**

Last edited by Pantah; Nov 16, 2018 at 12:17 PM. Reason: no answers
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Add me to the list right after getting my brakes figured out. 4 wheel drive service light came on yesterday and I had it diagnosed today, pump failure. They're "Going up the chain" to get it covered under warranty and I'll be waiting
for a phone call now.

2015 gsr, 36k miles, 100% stock other than mud flaps, washed religiously. Bought it new July 16 2016. Doesn't take long!

Only warning sign: routine check on the the fluid level a few weeks ago and it was under minimum, brought it to the dealer to check pump, they checked for leaks (it doesn't leak, ever), and gave me clean bill of health. The tech said the fluid can stay in the system while parked and will read under the minimum level in the reservoir sometimes. I believed him. When I checked it yesterday the fluid is slightly over maximum, so that tells me the pump was failing to keep it at the proper levels for about a month before failing completely, otherwise it was totally out of the blue.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 06:18 AM

I have an update on this, Mitsubishi is replacing the pump under the extended warranty but they said if the electrical component is at fault then I'm responsible for the part at $860-$1k. The rep says pump replacement fixes it 90% of the time. Is this standard procedure on these failures? It seems like the electrical portion should be covered as well, that's the whole reason I got the extended warranty (like an idiot).
Old Feb 1, 2019, 04:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 MR failed approx @ 20,000 miles.

Cause- Ontario Canada’s brutal liquid salt program.

Mitsubishi offered to install the trunk mod for an extra $500 so I can keep the warranty.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by koolzero
Just out of curiosity, what happens when it's totally dead? My tarmac light was flashing and the actuator code showed up on the service departments tool and this seemed to be enough to replace it. I do not know if mine was totally dead or just on it's way.
The car is still totally driveable and you won't hurt it driving it. All that will happen is the center and rear diffs will just work as an open diffs without any active locking or torque vectoring. You won't likely notice much of anything unless you track the car on a roadcourse and drive at the limit or drive aggressively on gravel or snow.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by RevMaynard

Mitsubishi offered to install the trunk mod for an extra $500 so I can keep the warranty.

Awesome that they offer that. Do they use a third party relocation kit?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:09 AM

Update on my situation:

I finally decided to dedicate some time trying to get the pump replaced under warranty knowing the stealership would play their games. Sure enough, they didn't disappoint. Service department ran the initial diagnostics and found code C161E. They checked the bulletins and found the warranty extension we all know TSB-14-22-005. The tech had them check the calibration on the ecu and found the CVM # was not OEM due to my tune - immediate warranty denial.

After I picked the car up and informed them I would be disputing the decision, the dealer informed me I would need to contact Mitsubishi directly, instead of possibly going through the dealership. I called Mitsubishi Customer Relations Department (1-888-648-7820) and filed a claim with a very helpful and real life person (not a robot). I was asked a few questions while filing the claim - When my last service on the vehicle was (oil change), where it was done (I informed them I did the work myself), where the car currently was, why it was denied (tune) and if any other mods caused the denial (they didn't mention other mods were the issue so I didn't mention them either). I was assigned a case manager and was told I'd here back in 1-5 business days.

Corporate called back the next day and approved the work. The case manager explained that he was weary of the dealership's warranty denial and quickly communicated with them to do the work. I've since had the work done (stealership was glad mitsu granted the work ) and am now waiting for the stealership to refund my initial diagnostics cost. The case manager had already confirmed that I am entitled to the reimbursement but wanted me to ask the dealership myself to see if they'll do what's right this time around. Sounds like they may have gotten into a little bit of trouble for denying the work initially.

Also waiting on my driven fabrication relocation kit to be shipped out (been a little over a week now) so I can get the pump away from these awful salt covered jersey roads.

Apologies for the long post but wanted to be thorough to help others out! Was glad mitsu corporate did the right thing here and honored the warranty!
The following users liked this post:
RevMaynard (Feb 3, 2019)
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by betweenthepipes
Awesome that they offer that. Do they use a third party relocation kit?
They do use a third party kit.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:28 AM

Just got mine fixed, new service dept. I tried in Maine is great. No preventive measures were discussed, maybe if it fails in another 2 or 3 years I suppose I can talk with Mitsubishi about the relocation kit or something. For me I can definitely feel the absence of the sawc and it's all sweet handling once again.

Old Feb 15, 2019, 03:14 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
guys if you do not want to have a problem with pumps ACD AYC, install on the tenth pump an electric motor from 7-9 and move the node in the trunk. This scheme will make your pump eternal. if I wonder how it looks. write i'm going to take pictures
Old Feb 19, 2019, 04:02 AM
Evolving Member

I need to figure out how to get my stuff fixed while stationed in Germany because dealerships around me never have seen an Evo let alone work on "American Spec cars." I need HELP! If anyone knows what I can do PM me please...
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Me too this year. I swapped to a used one which works but leaks a ton so no idea how to fix it.

Quick Reply: ACD/AYC pump failure reports