Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo X Drag Build - Inform and Humble Me.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 06:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X Drag Build - Inform and Humble Me.

Hello, I'm at a crossroads and need something valuable I can't get any other way than posting and asking, experience!

I will put my goal as this,
I want to keep up with these damn procharged v8s, no prep type events, and ultimately 700whp (9.9s if within reason).

I have a 2010 Evo X, Rotor Glow, and its a beautiful machine. Its sexy as **** and looks great parked. It's built to run 500whp effectively and its a great weekender but I'm ready to put on my big boy pants.

This is a Evo forum but bear with me, I'm unsure if i'm better off dumping gobs of $$ into the Evo or leave it alone and build another 240. A stock 2j or JY5.3 will get me my goals with boost and fuel. "If you cant beat them, join them."

If you have made an Evo a regular drag car, I value your opinion. I haven't seen enough personally owned cars to get a figure on how many passes to expect before something happens. Shop cars seem to always shoot for records and have unlimited resources.

Will the Evo be a greater money pit of a chassis comparatively? Will I regret dumping gobs of $$ into this chassis compared to a 240sx long term? Is this a chassis that can reasonably be a drag car or is it too far an amateur economical stretch? (given my presented choices I know both are money pits, its a project car. In regards of regrets, I built a SRT4 but at the end of the day it was a fwd neon, not real collectible) The difference is I have no problem with either one sitting in my garage for the rest of forever, I just want to keep up with the procharged vettes around here lol.

Current Build:
Stock Short Block | FP Red | GSC 2 Cams | GSC Valves and Springs | 900cc Inj | Fuel Lines | ARP Head Studs | DW65c | Built Jacks Tran | ACT 6 Puck | FPR | Grimm EBC | Wideband | Ported Exh Mani | AMS Widemouth | AMS Turboback Single Exh | AEM Cai

My options for the Evo:
Prebuilt sleeved 2.0 through MAP: Pro: Drop in. Time efficient. Seems like a good value. Con: Lump cost, if thats a con.

Shop build: Pros: About 1.5k less. Can space out costs. Cons: Labor. Machining. Extra shipping. Possible assembly/sleeving error. Savings will be lost in labor. Time line is much longer. Kozmic in Houston I'm sure will be doing the build (My SRT4 was a 9month nightmare going this route, shop wasn't as reputable as the forums perceived)

Purchase a healthy built block: Pros: Everything. May be able to keep stock block just in case. Cons: May not be as "healthy" as they claim which is risky.
Gaskets, belts, and pumps are not considered in those prices.

What I expect to purchase:
MAP Stage 2 2.0l Sleeved
FIC 1800 or ID2000
6266-6466 (and manifold)
Walbro450 (possibly surge tank if required)
Flex Fuel Kit
Gasket kit
Oil Pump
Timing kit
Cage

All that said: TLDR
Build up and replace current parts on 500whp stock block Evo X vs swapped S13 for track duty.
If the "reliability" isn't all that great, would you warrant the sex appeal to be worth it?
Cost effectiveness of prebuilt vs build? Paper prices don't always translate.
What should I expect? IE: Boxers have bad ringlands no matter how well built, etc.
Lastly: If you are a vendor/builder or selling a built shortblock feel free to chime in.

I have the space and I have the time to do it right. I expect to spend 8-12k. Thats shortblock, turbo, fuel, and clutch. Which will be near the same as building or buying another 240.

I'll update and edit to include overlooked information people mention.

Last edited by Zombot; Jul 24, 2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
A lot of money $$$$. Even though I loved my evo she was a pain in my A$$.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 02:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will say I enjoyed both my 240s infinitely more than my Evo. I felt like I was more involved in the drive in them. But everyone with a 240 thinks it's a 10k dollar car minimum. Parts are way cheaper than Evo parts and can accompany an LSx or 2JZ or whatever rather easily. Plus the power potential in either of those swaps is exponentially higher. 2J with a turbo, fuel and tune gets you into the mid 500 whp range. 4B11 with that much power gets you broken parts. I like my Evo and all but it's a finicky fragile machine compared to my S14
The following users liked this post:
Zombot (Jul 24, 2017)
Old Jul 24, 2017, 02:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Con to a MAP motor- It's a MAP motor. They don't race car's, so you're going to be putting 800whp through a motor that has no R&D behind it. Go with someone proven; AMS or ER would be excellent choices. I lean towards ER.

FP does not make a zero for the EvoX.
The following users liked this post:
Zombot (Jul 24, 2017)
Old Jul 24, 2017, 03:32 PM

@Speedworks: I loved my 240, I was a bit too poor at the time of ownership to own a sr20det driftcar. My neighbor is very well 2j versed and pointing me in that direction due to knowledge. 2J has the advantage of an experienced builder helping me. LS is cheaper to maintain. Pretty sure I can build one off the shelf at AutoZone. Both engines will easily reach my goal. Con: Deciding to take the 240 or Evo to the meet. At that point, whats the point of having the Evo if it isn't my main squeeze? I'm afraid I'll look at her as available funds lol. Thank you for the unbiased opinion, my wife agrees.

@Letsgetthisdone: I was initially looking at ER shortblocks. Forums gave the impression that MAP motors are solid, so I started to eye them more for the $$. You bring up a very reasonable R&D point. Lastly, in regards of the FP Zero, I was looking at the 62 or 64 series turbo. I assumed that i'd be able to get the FP Zero to fit, I recently discovered thats wrong. Ty!

Last edited by Zombot; Jul 24, 2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 05:27 AM

So far the general concensus is, don't build the Evo lol.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:00 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The X is a hard car to run in 1/4. It's heavy and hard on parts, and you can't tune the ACD. It can certainly make for a fun car. Though you'll spend more money to not go as fast as a CT9a.