Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

GSR shifter just dropped down while driving

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GSR shifter just dropped down while driving

I encountered a strange issue on my 2015 Evo. I was just driving normally when suddenly the shifter just suddenly tilted to the right like it fell down. I could still get to 1st to 4th gear but I couldn't get to 5th and reverse. The 1st and 2nd gear were about where 3rd and 4th would be and 3rd and 4th were where 5th and reverse were. I tried pulling the shifter towards the left but it wouldn't budge, so it wasn't like the housing was loose.

Has anyone encountered this issue before? I can't find any information about a similar issue but honestly I don't even know where to start looking. I had the car towed to a Mitsubishi dealer but I'd like some info before I start looking into repairs.

Thanks guys.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
If the car is a 2015, it's likely still under warranty. Could be a broken shifter cable, or an issue with where the attach to the shift levers on the trans.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 03:21 PM

Dealer called me today saying that the pins and washers used to hold the shifter cable were missing. He's trying to tell me that the warranty doesn't cover missing parts. He claims the previous owner probably replaced the clutch incorrectly. What doesn't make sense to me is that I've been driving this car for almost a year with no issues. Is it even possible to drive for that long with those parts missing? Do you even need to remove shifter cable in order to change the clutch? The car has just over 24k miles on it and it seems improbable to me that the clutch was changed already. If the pins and washers did fall off, where would they be likely to end up?

Thanks for all the help.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 05:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by theshonen8899
Dealer called me today saying that the pins and washers used to hold the shifter cable were missing. He's trying to tell me that the warranty doesn't cover missing parts. He claims the previous owner probably replaced the clutch incorrectly. What doesn't make sense to me is that I've been driving this car for almost a year with no issues. Is it even possible to drive for that long with those parts missing? Do you even need to remove shifter cable in order to change the clutch? The car has just over 24k miles on it and it seems improbable to me that the clutch was changed already. If the pins and washers did fall off, where would they be likely to end up?

Thanks for all the help.
He's just taking a wild stab in the wind as to why those parts are missing - he doesn't know jack. Yes, you do have to remove those to install a clutch and if they were to fall out they'll either be stuck in your undertray or in the street somewhere.

If it were me, I'd retrieve the car from the dealership and install some new/better type of shifter bushings on my own dime - they're not expensive and are easy to install.

$.02
Old Aug 30, 2017, 11:21 AM

Okay so what he's saying is that the pin holding the bushing was there but the bushing was missing, which is why he's adamant about a botched clutch job. Ultimately we just decided on getting shifter temporarily working again for $170 and I'm going to limp the car home to replace the bushing myself.

https://www.amsperformance.com/cart/...bushings.html/

Is this the part I'm looking for? Thanks for the all the help so far.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 11:38 AM

Nevermind...just noticed that it doesn't support 2015 model year for some reason.

https://www.twmperformance.com/bushi...rm-bushing-kit
https://www.twmperformance.com/bushi...le-bushing-kit

Is TWM my only choice? And do I need the transmission arm bushing or the cable bushing?