Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

what to replace after blown motor

Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy what to replace after blown motor

My evo x threw a rod today...

I'm looking at getting a built block but also thinking of putting another stock block in. There is definately a hole in the side of my motor. What all needs to be replaced typically?

Shortblock,
Oil cooler
oil pump
oil pan
timing chain since im in there

anything else?

car had 59k miles on it. pretty easy life. never romped or raced it. was just cruising and it shot.

Thanks!
Old Jan 31, 2019, 02:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Sorry this happen to you man. It really sucks the first time. Very strange that this would happen out of the blue. Are you the second owner? I would take the turbo off and make sure it didn't get any debris and clean the cylinder head out as well. Safest thing would be to completely disassemble the parts you plan to reuse and clean them out. Make sure you post in the "Official Blown Engine Thread" !
Old Jan 31, 2019, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Pal215
Sorry this happen to you man. It really sucks the first time. Very strange that this would happen out of the blue. Are you the second owner? I would take the turbo off and make sure it didn't get any debris and clean the cylinder head out as well. Safest thing would be to completely disassemble the parts you plan to reuse and clean them out. Make sure you post in the "Official Blown Engine Thread" !
Yea it really sucks. I got to assume its going to cost over 10k to build it. The car has been in my possession since 10k miles. Only thing i can think of is it was too cold -4f and it just wasnt getting propper oilling. I really do baby the car.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 02:51 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Replace anything oil touches, unless you can absolutely, positively, 100%, disassemble/clean it.

Built vs OEM: more power vs longer rebuild interval. Gotta decide which you prefer.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 03:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,321 Posts
Def need an oil cooler and oil pan. Oil pump can be inspected. Its apart to replace the timing chain. The head you have a 50/50 chance that it go shot gunned and ruined by the piston. If that didn't happen, take it to your machine shop for hot tank/valve job/mill and it'll be good to go. Take them the cams and buckets so they can properly set lash. The turbo can be flushed with clean oil.

If you decide to go with a built short block, choose the right engine builder. English Racing is hands down the go to.

If you want to go OEM/stock. The EASY button here is getting a complete motor from the dealer that's on ebay selling them for like $5500. They come complete with a literally everything. https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-MITSUBISHI-EVOLUTION-EVO-X-10-MOTOR-4B11T-NEW-CRATE-ENGINE/253415161938?epid=1139891642&hash=item3b00b88052:g :91sAAOSwCQNWdAjY:rk:1f:0
Old Jan 31, 2019, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Def need an oil cooler and oil pan. Oil pump can be inspected. Its apart to replace the timing chain. The head you have a 50/50 chance that it go shot gunned and ruined by the piston. If that didn't happen, take it to your machine shop for hot tank/valve job/mill and it'll be good to go. Take them the cams and buckets so they can properly set lash. The turbo can be flushed with clean oil.

If you decide to go with a built short block, choose the right engine builder. English Racing is hands down the go to.

If you want to go OEM/stock. The EASY button here is getting a complete motor from the dealer that's on ebay selling them for like $5500. They come complete with a literally everything. https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-MITSUBISHI-EVOLUTION-EVO-X-10-MOTOR-4B11T-NEW-CRATE-ENGINE/253415161938?epid=1139891642&hash=item3b00b88052:g :91sAAOSwCQNWdAjY:rk:1f:0
I am planning on going with a AR Fabrication shortblock. They seem to be very very good. The end goal for me is 550-600 whp dynojet. I want something that i dont have to worry about the rods shooting out or that something silly will happen. Any idea of service life of a built motor? 600 doesnt seem like the craziest number for these cars and that AR seems to have a very good reputation.

Basically if I can get another 60k out of the next motor I would be happy. Im going to purchase a daily and have this become a project fun car since its the only way I can justify it.

Thanks!
Old Jan 31, 2019, 05:01 PM
kaj

60K miles seems to be the (optimistic) general consensus for lives of built engines. Seems to be due to clearances and materials though, not so much power levels.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 01:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
you wont have to worry about any metal shavings if you buy this—->> $5000 too!!! Everything nice and brand new!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-MITSUBI...sAAOSwCQNWdAjY

all you have to do is just build it before the install, or you don’t have to.

If you buy only a turbo, water pump, alternator, pulleys and some other stuff at the dealer it’s easy gonna be over $5000.
I think a new complete longblock in your case is worth it.
You see short blocks going for $3500

GL!!!
Old Feb 1, 2019, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by kaj
60K miles seems to be the (optimistic) general consensus for lives of built engines. Seems to be due to clearances and materials though, not so much power levels.
Thats very upsetting to hear. But seeing as stock motors only last about 10-70k too. I have faith in AR-Fabrication to make me a quality motor. Im hoping I only put a couple thousand miles a year on the car. Just have it as a weekend toy. I might be picking up a civic here in the next couple days to keep me on the road.

I dont want stock because the bottom end seems weak and I have higher hp/tq goals and am looking for something strong and reliable.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:08 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by slythy
Thats very upsetting to hear. But seeing as stock motors only last about 10-70k too. I have faith in AR-Fabrication to make me a quality motor. Im hoping I only put a couple thousand miles a year on the car. Just have it as a weekend toy. I might be picking up a civic here in the next couple days to keep me on the road.

I dont want stock because the bottom end seems weak and I have higher hp/tq goals and am looking for something strong and reliable.

**edit: my stupid cell phone doesn't tell me which subforums I'm in. I have a IX, so I'm not sure how well OEM X motors do with higher power and torque numbers.

With your goals, I see your reasoning and it makes sense. Picking up a reasonable daily driver would help. IMO, it lets you do things to the car that you normally wouldn't while performing DD duties. If a built motor lasts 50k miles and you only drove it less than 5k per year like I do, that's over 10 years of life before needing a rebuild. Not bad.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 02:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Built motors tend to not last as long because they're built, and they get driven and see the extra like they're a built motor. 40k-60k is good life on a hard driven engine. Drive it like it's camry, and it'll last like one. But who buys a turbo car to do that? And certainly who builds something with 600hp to do that?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 05:49 PM

Built motors tend to not last as long because they're built, and they get driven and see the extra like they're a built motor. 40k-60k is good life on a hard driven engine. Drive it like it's camry, and it'll last like one. But who buys a turbo car to do that? And certainly who builds something with 600hp to do that?
i got 60k out of a camery driven evo lol.

I like having power available. Not just driving like a jerk. But sometimes lol
Old Feb 7, 2019, 02:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Sounds like a maintenance issue, or you just got unlucky.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 02:52 PM

Sounds like a maintenance issue, or you just got unlucky.
it was -4 out when it popped. Oils changed every 2700-3200 miles.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 06:39 PM
kaj

Do those cars have the option of a block heater? If not... I could see a potential problem in that type of weather.

Search this Thread