Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X Review: "The Inevitable Evolution"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2008, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
well over 40 there is the Porsche covertible or the vettes etc. so there is the gap between 20's -40's, so there is the X place the 30's!
Old Jan 16, 2008, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think alot of people here have A.D.D.
It seems many people are choosing what they want to read and what they want to believe.
The car is an improvement from almost every article. The joke is that certain people are crying about only ONE thing.
And that is the weight.
With this problem in mind, people are almost 100% writing it off.
There are probably only a few people here who have been privileged to drive an AYC outfitted car.
An almost complete AYC car? Do you know what happens to a car when you get rid of understeer?
The car is on top of handling! That is where it shines. On the track.
The Japanese aren't complaining. Look how quick they are modding this new generation and IMO look MUCH better then the predecessors.
Look at all the different ways they are modding them.
Geez. Get a grip.
And what is even more stupid, are those same jackasses that were talking ill about the X before (not all of them) are now converts.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

LET ME JUST SAY,

If the tranny is bulletproof, then I dont care if the car runs 14's in the 1/4, is slower then a base model lancer around the track and weighs 4000+ lbs. If I can get a tranny that is as strong as an STi tranny, i'll be happy

-Steve
Old Jan 16, 2008, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For those of you that do not know the writer for this, James Tate is not only a close friend of ours, but also trusted enthusiast. A former editor for SCC and writer for countless mags, he knows the evo well and was a big fan of the previous generation. So his review and opinions here are generally pretty well founded and trusted by us. SPT and I will also be doing a review on the car as well.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

I knew I had seen his name somewhere before. A nice short article that was a treat since I never expected EvoM to have their own review.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Then he knows the most rally evo's running without AYC. Don't get me wrong is a good thing, but seems to me he too emphasize it.
I think at least 80% to make the X handle better then the IX, is the bigger - wider rims - tires, better brakes , 50% more rigid chassie.
Yes the AYC help for sure , but when you going to do serius modifications that "importance" the AYC will fade away.
But i'm sure the 08 will answere all our questions. I do hope the X will be a step forward .
Old Jan 16, 2008, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amazing, every magazine says that it's a bit slower in a straight line, but that it's an improvement in EVERY other category, and still you people bad mouth the car. Now I remember why I switched to evoxforums, and why I visit here so rarely now. I thought that this was supposed to be an evo enthusiast site. Instead, it's an evo 9 fanboy site. Maybe you guys should change the name of the site to "www.uneducatedfanboys.com."
Old Jan 16, 2008, 09:14 PM

people dont like change
Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
Amazing, every magazine says that it's a bit slower in a straight line, but that it's an improvement in EVERY other category, and still you people bad mouth the car. Now I remember why I switched to evoxforums, and why I visit here so rarely now. I thought that this was supposed to be an evo enthusiast site. Instead, it's an evo 9 fanboy site. Maybe you guys should change the name of the site to "www.uneducatedfanboys.com."

Honestly, why do you care what others think, if you like it then buy it.

I have followed EVOs and Skylines for some time now and I happen to be one of the people that believe that the EVO peaked with the EVO IX, I don't like a lot of the changes that they made to the X. I do like some though. The bigger brakes/ wheels and tires and AYC are a plus. Weight is always a negative to a true car enthusiasts because it is so hard to cut off of the car.

AYC is nice but isn't that much of an improvement for a car pulling dual DD and track use, which most of the owners will do if they ever do take it to the track. I drove a 2001 EVO VII that a mutual friend still to this day owns and I honestly didn't notice the AYC driving it around japans streets fairly hard.

I am back in Japan right now (Military) and have seen the X. It does look better in real life than it does on Video or in magazines. But the looks do not negate or sway my opinion of what I expect of a performance car. Maybe after a few months if I see others take the risks of purchasing and tuning the X and see benefits then I could very well change my point of view. But you shouldn't call people Fan-boys because they are backing a proven performer against a newer unproven model.

Be realistic here, the 4g63 and the last Gen chassis have made the EVO a true world contender, we aren't being Fan-boys we are just reluctant about all of the huge changes that were made to such a proven performer.

BTW, the US car market doesn't have the best record with Japanese sports cars look at how we killed the 300ZX TT/ Toyota SUPRA/ RX-7 and then the come backs have been fairly watered down. The 350Z is an NA and the RX-8 barely makes the HP of a mini van. They both had some improvements but all and all the true enthusiasts were very disappointed.

When I get back I will most likely buy a used EVO IX for track use to sit next to our BMW 335xi which I will choose over the EVO X.

My .02 cents.

-Nate

Last edited by EVO-8-Nate; Jan 16, 2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO-8-Nate
Honestly, why do you care what others think, if you like it then buy it.

I have followed EVOs and Skylines for some time now and I happen to be one of the people that believe that the EVO peaked with the EVO IX, I don't like a lot of the changes that they made to the X. I do like some though. The bigger brakes/ wheels and tires and AYC are a plus. Weight is always a negative to a true car enthusiasts because it is so hard to cut off of the car. AYC is nice but isn't that much of an improvement for a car pulling dual DD and track use. I drove a 2001 EVO VII that a mutual friend still to this day owns and I honestly didn't notice the AYC driving it around japans streets fairly hard.

I am back in Japan right now (Military) and have seen the X. It does look better in real life than it does on Video or in magazines. But the looks do not negate or sway my opinion of what I expect of a performance car. Maybe after a few months if I see others take the risks of purchasing and tuning the X and see benefits then I could very well be persuaded. But you shouldn't call people FANBOYS because they are backing a proven performer against a newer unproven model.

Be realistic here, the 4g63 and the last Gen chassis have made the EVO a true world contender, we aren't being Fan-boys we are just reluctant about all of the huge changes that were made to such a proven performer.

BTW, the US car market doesn't have the best record with Japanese sports cars look at how we killed the 300ZX TT/ Toyota SUPRA/ RX-7 and then the come backs have been fairly watered down. The 350Z is an NA and the RX-8 barely makes the HP of a mini van. They both had some improvements but all and all the true enthusiasts were very disappointed.

When I get back I will most likely buy a used EVO IX for track use to sit next to our BMW 335xi which I will choose over the EVO X.

My .02 cents.

-Nate
+1

But it does get tiring hearing people whining about how much they dislike the Evo X over and over again. From what I see, Evo X "fanboys" never said that the weight is any short of an advantage and yet the "haters" still whine about it. The whole world is aware that weight + performance = BAD, why do people have to repeat themselves SO MANY TIMES!?
Old Jan 17, 2008, 04:12 AM
Evolved Member

I am grateful that the EvoM staff had written their article. Especially, the EvoM staff know what the concerns on this board roots from.
Hell, many reviews outside Evolutionm.net read this site to hear and recieve feedback on what the forums are talking about on the new Evo X.
Which is quite a compliment for EvoM.net.
So thanks for the review, gents.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 04:22 AM
Evolved Member

make it clear from my side , i do like the X. But i do like many cars . Why i picked the EVO before over them? Lets face it, the 35K price you can get many other cars or little more up untill $42k.. So the money wasn't really the issue. The big thing was i needed a RALLY car.I need a pure performance car, i need a raw car.
I'm not interested 650w music- navigation-automatic tranny-HID-7 airbags-ABS etc. I leave them for others. But seems to me, my options running out with the EVO X. So i might turn around and go for Exige. Something is more driver required car. I 'm not hating the X at all. Just looks to me starts falling in the "other cars category."
Better then IX ? Yes . Looking better yes. Who cares? It"s lost the heritage for me right now. But there is the future ,where it can prove me wrong./i hope/ Besides the Evo was always the detuned race car not the otherway around... Like the STI.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Jan 17, 2008 at 04:29 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 05:43 AM
Evolving Member

You know what's funny? 90% of the people who complain about the EVO X are those with links in their signatures to those 10 second drags... If you want a drag racer go American Muscle and leave the EVO where it belings, in the twists and turns. I don't go race at the track often and I don't tune my cars. Sure, I step it up on a red light here and there for kicks and trust me EVO X is more than enough to destroy most of the people you come accross in the streets. I buy a car for what it is. EVO X -IS- a step foward into performance sedans. EVO IX was too but, like all reviews said, X is a better over all car. Now, these people are TRUE hardcore car lovers if not they wouldn't make a living out of it. You're all early 20s late 20s 10 second racers that enjoy tuning your car to make it go faster 0-60. EVO WAS NEVER A 10 SECOND RACER, IT IS A RALLY CAR! RALLY HAS SHARP TURNS! Sure, the X is softer but, thats just so it suites more people in the real world. After all it IS real world car... Mitsu is smart in going to the bigger market. It will benefit them a lot more going for the 30 year olds with more money rather than the 20 year olds begging daddy for money. Yeah, I'm 22 but, I WORK for my ****. I'm sure a lot of you do too dont get me wrong. Fact is, you're all too abrupt to say THIS SUCKS OMG ITS HEAVY OMG NEW ENGINE OMG IT GOT SOUND SYSTEM OMG NAVI OMG LIGHTS! I wonder if thats how cavemen acted when they invented the wheel... OMG A CIRCLE WTF LETS USE A SQUARE! Come on get real guys, if you truely had an open mind and cared at all about the EVO you would stfu and give your opinion AFTER you drive and tune it. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but, it's worth **** if you got nothing to back it up. Besides, no article can make you hate the EVO X cause all say it's still a better over all car. I love the raw EVO 9 but, I'm sure I will love the smooth EVO 10.

Take my advice, keep an open mind and the possibilities are endless.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

People like change.... when its for the better in the basic "expected areas"
Here is a lust of what was wanted and would have sold the car to the hard core and the masses

1. the X should be faster in straights and corners all numbers should be improved over last model.
2. The X should have a 6 sped manual tranny option from the start
3. The build quality should be better
4. It should not be heavier than the 9 unless it has the power to offset said weight.
5. there should be a stripped down bare bones option and a fully loaded luxury option and a middle option with flexibility.
6. Price is only an issue when people feel they are not getting exactly what they want but are paying more than before..
Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think people are complaining, they are stating the facts.

What made previous evolutions a hit was 1. The 4G63 is one of the best tuner motors out there. 2. The car handled as well as a Porche. 3. The cost was under 30 grand for the first two years and then slightly more for VIII's and RS's.

With the X, the motor has changed to one we don't know very much about 4B11. The cost is up a good bit. The car is heavier. And it's more "classy."

Let's not forget that basically the jump from IX to X went from a stripped down racecar to a "luxury sedan!" Quoting the writer, "The X feel luxurious."

All in all, people need to understand the basic point is that Mitsu wants to sell more. Face it. Tuners in their 20's (majority of VIII / IX owners) do not make up a large consumer force. Regular people in their 30's do! Why add the semiautomatic option? That's a dead giveaway right there.

Quick Reply: Evo X Review: "The Inevitable Evolution"