Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X Review: "The Inevitable Evolution"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2008, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The old gen eclipse was a # 2 seller (low to mid priced sedans) after the ford mustang.

The new gen came nowhere close.

Look at it another way - how many old eclipses, tallons, etc. do you still see rolling around, v. how many new eclipses do you see anywhere?

The old eclipse was a trend setter because it was HARDCORE - just like the old Evo, after a few mods, it gave the average guy a chance to experience what real performance, what real speed feels like. The old gen Eclipse and Evo showed us all that REAL performance is not exclusive to the rich. They also showed us another way of going fast - power to weight - something so ridiculously counter-intuitive to the way cars are built here, that it is not even funny.

The world is full of stuf that is "so what". There was nothing "so what" about the old Evos.

Not saying that "X" is a bad car, but it is kinda "SO WHAT" to me.

We need another hardcore Mitsubishi car out there.

Last edited by Forza EVO 613; Jan 23, 2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 04:09 PM

Will the EVO X have cruise contrtol?

One reason that I've not considered and Evo was because it lacked: cruise & a 60/40 folding rear seat. I need a car that works as a real world daily driver.

I cannot tell from the various magazine photos, if the steering wheel controls are fro cruise. If the throttle is a drive-by-wire, why not have cruise control?
Old Jan 24, 2008, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Is this taken right out of SCC? I swear Ive read this article....
Old Jan 25, 2008, 04:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Forza EVO 613
Dear Chino ALi:

Please do not take everything so literally. By "gangsta" I am not implying candy paint "d's" or switches or low riders etc.

To me, Chino, gangsta is something you can drive through 3 feet of snow and then, with a mere tire and brake pad change whoop on a bunch of trailer queens on the racetrack. Gangsta, Chino, to me is a modded Evo worth about $ 45 k that beats up on cars worth over 150 k. Gangsta, is a car that can do rain, snow, dirt and tarmack at close to race speeds and still be road legal in 52 states.

Think of Gangsta as a figure of speech. I like that word cause it depicts tough and goes well with a tough tough car.

No offence, no perp here, just a metaphor - GANGSTA = HARDCORE = TOUGH etc.
Understoood.
Point taken.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by prj.evo
Is this taken right out of SCC? I swear Ive read this article....
No. James has reviewed this car for other sources, but this article is different. He was previously and editor for SCC, so you may have seen similar writting
Old Jan 30, 2008, 11:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlesJ
No. James has reviewed this car for other sources, but this article is different. He was previously and editor for SCC, so you may have seen similar writting
I wonder how long he was an editor for them. Doesn't seem like it was very long at all though I do recall his editorial posts as being rather uninspired and similarly bland.

Not saying I could do better, but then again, I don't profess to write car articles for a living. The guy generally seems to enjoy cars, so that counts for something.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Forza EVO 613
We need another hardcore Mitsubishi car out there.
No, what needs is a car that sells. Something the IX had a bit of trouble with. If the Evo survives, it will be because the X. The appeal for street legal race cars is quite limited. You may not like it, but that is the reality. The X addresses many concerns people had about the IX, so it may attract people who had previously written Mitsu off.

Originally Posted by Bob in Chicago
One reason that I've not considered and Evo was because it lacked: cruise & a 60/40 folding rear seat. I need a car that works as a real world daily driver.

I cannot tell from the various magazine photos, if the steering wheel controls are fro cruise. If the throttle is a drive-by-wire, why not have cruise control?
It does have cruise control this year. I agree that it is a welcome addition. CC saves me a lot of money that would otherwise be going to the state and my insurance company .
Old Jan 31, 2008, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
"The appeal for street legal race cars is quite limited. You may not like it, but that is the reality."

you are 100% right.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 07:49 PM

reading that "review" was a waste of time
Old Feb 1, 2008, 03:02 AM

I find it funny when people keep saying Evo 9 is better etc etc.

Because when you seriously gonna gut the car and go pro racing there is not much difference between the 8 and 9. Stock to Stock, Yes, the 9 is the best STOCK evo. But since all you 9 fan boys are so HARECORE and RACE IT DAILY or going all out pro then why would you keep it stock/soft mod and start comparing the stock figures?

TBH if someone who's serious about racing their EVO they will gut the **** outta it no matter if it's RS/GSR/MR 8/9/10 etc. The weight will no longer be that much of a differences. I am pretty sure all aluminum engine is better than cast-iron. The new stiffer chassis will also smoke the old chassis when it's tuned. If you don't like the added weight just don't get the GSR and wait for the RS.

The Evo X is a better daily driver . If you are hard you won't be driving and trying to prove ur *** on street anyways. If you are hard, then the track or canyon is where you should be. So seriously stop saying your Evo 9 is the best of Evos. I am pretty sure the engineering and marketing departments of had host a lot more meetings on how the Evo X should be than we all have together on this forum.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 03:13 PM

Read the March 08 issue of Car and Driver. They put the X against the R32 and the STI, and guess who won. That's right, the X. Not by a ton, but they liked it better enough in ALL ways, most importantly in performance. Read the article, pretty good information. I for one will not buy one because I bought my EVO for what is was at the time: a raw edgy sports car that not too many people have. I accept all it's comfort flaws and anything else negative in that nature. I have had it for four years and have driven to work every day I've owned it. It will probably be a car I keep forever. The reason the X is different is to sell more cars, that's it. The niche market does not make money. That does not make the X bad, just different. We who keep our 8s and 9s will do so with pride and have our own reasons for doing it. As someone else said earlier, wait to pass full judgement on the X until some time passes, like a year or two. There will be some issues for sure, but I believe the car will last in the end.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tougefreak
If you are hard you won't be driving and trying to prove ur *** on street anyways. If you are hard, then the track or canyon is where you should be.

+1
Old Feb 2, 2008, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

I think the EVO X has lost it's distinctive look.

It takes a discerning eye to pick it out of a line of regular Lancers at 50 ft. Add in a few Lancer Ralliarts to the line up and even I would have to look twice.

It's great for Lancer sales, but I own an EVO. I hope Mitsubishi takes note and does something distinctive for next year's EVO model. Maybe introduce an RS with wider fenders, 18x9.5 rims, and a bad a$$ wing!!!!
Old Feb 2, 2008, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Puckhead
The reason the X is different is to sell more cars, that's it. The niche market does not make money. That does not make the X bad, just different.
I agree with this. The evolution of the car from this time around really took it out of the purist rally car arena, and tried to place it in an area that would appeal to more buyers. Maybe they can up sell some of those eclipse buyers for instance. Its definitely more weekend warrior car now.

One thing hasn't changed though. Every high school boy on the planet knows this car. I stopped in a parking lot yesterday, and when I came back to my car there was 15 high school kids wrapped around it. Taking pictures with their phones etc. All I could think was, why couldn't the chicks dig it too?
Old Feb 2, 2008, 09:59 AM

Evo X.... I don't know A Y C c'mon no big deal really. Now that is my point of view.
I say add an M and you got yourself "Y M C A". Can't really tell you what I think of the car till I drive it or I see the Top Gear review.....

Quick Reply: Evo X Review: "The Inevitable Evolution"