Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X Review: "The Inevitable Evolution"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2008, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^then they need to bring out a new car to take the EVOs place in the market.. But i know what the problem is .. EVO is mitsus last respected name plate so they are trying to capitalize on it by trying to sell it to the masses instead of creating something new and good to offer the masses... So now the EVO brand is in question and what els does mitsu have as far as a name plate that gets positive response from the public? ?

Lancer = POs
galant = Generic ugly POS
3000GT = dead
Eclipse = joke/ignored
SUVs = ignored
EVO = boy racer car

Hmmm...?! sounds like like mitsu needs to creat some new product
Old Jan 17, 2008, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by klipsch0
You know what's funny? 90% of the people who complain about the EVO X are those with links in their signatures to those 10 second drags... If you want a drag racer go American Muscle and leave the EVO where it belings, in the twists and turns. I don't go race at the track often and I don't tune my cars. Sure, I step it up on a red light here and there for kicks and trust me EVO X is more than enough to destroy most of the people you come accross in the streets. I buy a car for what it is. EVO X -IS- a step foward into performance sedans. EVO IX was too but, like all reviews said, X is a better over all car. Now, these people are TRUE hardcore car lovers if not they wouldn't make a living out of it. You're all early 20s late 20s 10 second racers that enjoy tuning your car to make it go faster 0-60. EVO WAS NEVER A 10 SECOND RACER, IT IS A RALLY CAR! RALLY HAS SHARP TURNS! Sure, the X is softer but, thats just so it suites more people in the real world. After all it IS real world car... Mitsu is smart in going to the bigger market. It will benefit them a lot more going for the 30 year olds with more money rather than the 20 year olds begging daddy for money. Yeah, I'm 22 but, I WORK for my ****. I'm sure a lot of you do too dont get me wrong. Fact is, you're all too abrupt to say THIS SUCKS OMG ITS HEAVY OMG NEW ENGINE OMG IT GOT SOUND SYSTEM OMG NAVI OMG LIGHTS! I wonder if thats how cavemen acted when they invented the wheel... OMG A CIRCLE WTF LETS USE A SQUARE! Come on get real guys, if you truely had an open mind and cared at all about the EVO you would stfu and give your opinion AFTER you drive and tune it. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but, it's worth **** if you got nothing to back it up. Besides, no article can make you hate the EVO X cause all say it's still a better over all car. I love the raw EVO 9 but, I'm sure I will love the smooth EVO 10.

Take my advice, keep an open mind and the possibilities are endless.
What you're not realizing is that "better car" has different meanings. And I'm not sure where they all get "better" from. From the weight reduction? No. From the "cheap price?" Not any more. From the acceleration times? Definately not. AYC? That one guy seems to think so, but I dont. From the fact that it's faster around a track? It's not. "Better car" has to come from Navigation, semiautomatic tranny, lighter motor, great handling, looks, mivec on both sides, etc.

This doesn't make it a better car for sports car enthusiasts or tuners. FACT. I'm not sure what these writers refer to when they say it's better.

And don't forget, this AYC ordeal is going to be great if it works. How many transfer cases have gone out on current evos? How many tranny's have gone out on current evos? I dont feel real confident in the AYC.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
You know what's funny? 90% of the people who complain about the EVO X are those with links in their signatures to those 10 second drags... If you want a drag racer go American Muscle and leave the EVO where it belings, in the twists and turns. I don't go race at the track often and I don't tune my cars. Sure, I step it up on a red light here and there for kicks and trust me EVO X is more than enough to destroy most of the people you come accross in the streets. I buy a car for what it is. EVO X -IS- a step foward into performance sedans. EVO IX was too but, like all reviews said, X is a better over all car. Now, these people are TRUE hardcore car lovers if not they wouldn't make a living out of it. You're all early 20s late 20s 10 second racers that enjoy tuning your car to make it go faster 0-60. EVO WAS NEVER A 10 SECOND RACER, IT IS A RALLY CAR! RALLY HAS SHARP TURNS! Sure, the X is softer but, thats just so it suites more people in the real world. After all it IS real world car... Mitsu is smart in going to the bigger market. It will benefit them a lot more going for the 30 year olds with more money rather than the 20 year olds begging daddy for money. Yeah, I'm 22 but, I WORK for my ****. I'm sure a lot of you do too dont get me wrong. Fact is, you're all too abrupt to say THIS SUCKS OMG ITS HEAVY OMG NEW ENGINE OMG IT GOT SOUND SYSTEM OMG NAVI OMG LIGHTS! I wonder if thats how cavemen acted when they invented the wheel... OMG A CIRCLE WTF LETS USE A SQUARE! Come on get real guys, if you truely had an open mind and cared at all about the EVO you would stfu and give your opinion AFTER you drive and tune it. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but, it's worth **** if you got nothing to back it up. Besides, no article can make you hate the EVO X cause all say it's still a better over all car. I love the raw EVO 9 but, I'm sure I will love the smooth EVO 10.

let me put it simple as i can. every previus Evo was a detuned race car. And there is the reason for that. And yes a rally race car.
The X is everything ,but that. I'm happy they got new engine, i'm happy they got better look, Yet. But i'm affraid the Evo lost what is suppos to be.
If you make anything for general public, it will lost lots the edge's. And the evo was made for anything but the general public. You will not going to have fanatic fans, with car its been made for general public. Lets make that clear. And the EVo had Fanatics and as the commercial said, they made a religion. Based on THE FANATIC FANS! do you see where i'm going?
The rally race have more fanatics then any car race i have been too. If you start loosing them ...
The evo is more then a car is capable for DD. They made them to homologate to the WRC requriments. Remeber?
So they build the race car then made it for streetable . Now it is the opposite. So surly you will not get the same feel as the any previus one, or give it to you those possebilities.
And even today, the Mitsubishi when officialy not in the WRC any more, still owns the Grouppe A and N in the rally. Simple is the best car for those groups.But with this new one, if it s will be what they say.. The teams just not going to deal with it anymore. Too much modification requires to get on the race etc. So they will pick other brands.
Wich is will lead to end of the religion. Period.
Nothing against the X as a car, IT'S AWSOME. BUT the EVOLUTION is not just an awsome car for most people ... and there is the problem with it.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

Damn the Wicked White X MR looks freaking HOTTT!
Old Jan 17, 2008, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

you can't call it a rally car and in the next sentence say its ok to be softer, and as far as 1/4 mile times go, take a 11.5 evo and put it on a turning course it still performs, making a drag car is more than just power upgrades, we do suspention too. ALL EVO X LOVERS GET OFF THE HIGH HORSE AND REALIZE YOU ARE JUST A PART OF THE PACK NOW, IT DOESN'T STAND OUT, NO CHARCTER.

And as far as handleing goes the magazines and people review are a 50/50 split on that, styling is everyones own opinion, and we all know evos are not suppose to run high 13s low 14s in a 1/4 drag car or not. MotorTread did a complete review said the evo IX is still king of the evos, so are you calling a respectable place like that evo, or are they just biais like the rest of people with IX like you said.

And as far as a bigger market goes, The X looks like a Acura TSX or TL, and they Type-S TL doesn't sell, The Mazda6 speed doesn't sell, You know why, because those cars are made for specific people, why am i going to pay 5k more for 75 more hp, when i drive the speed limit everyday, no dealership is going to be able to say hey grandma this is a luxuary sedan for 35k+ its a mitsubishi lancer, might as well get a c class benz

and why do you car about the sound system and navi anyway most people upgrade that stuff anyway, from those paper speakers, if the 9 had fold down rear seats it would we perfect

Last edited by 06EVOIX SE; Jan 17, 2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I have seen some mods on the IX to make the car run up to 800hp, but there was ALOT of work that needed to be done.
From what I saw, the car had a major overhaul on all the parts.
And from what I understand, the X can handle mods (GSR) and I would like to see some of the numbers the Japanese guys are getting after all the work they have done.
Their is alot of excitement over the X in Japan or we wouldn't have seen so many Xs modded so early.
That is food for thought.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 04:54 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chino ali
Well, I have seen some mods on the IX to make the car run up to 800hp, but there was ALOT of work that needed to be done.
From what I saw, the car had a major overhaul on all the parts.
And from what I understand, the X can handle mods (GSR) and I would like to see some of the numbers the Japanese guys are getting after all the work they have done.
Their is alot of excitement over the X in Japan or we wouldn't have seen so many Xs modded so early.
That is food for thought.
Yes, many in Japan are excited and putting mainly cosmetic mods on the cars. For the tuners that have put performance mods on the car, none of them are posting dyno charts or hp/tq gains. Why can't they post that stuff if they're going to go to the trouble to mod the car in the first place
Old Jan 18, 2008, 05:53 AM

If the previous models of the evo had AYC in America everyone on here would see that this is nothing new and most likelyrealize how unimpressive this car is over the previous models.

But everyone that reviews the car from the US is seeing the AYC as this jewel of the AWD world......

I'd rather be upset that Mitsu didn't give us a chance at it with the VIII and IX.

Instead all of the fanboys giving praise to the Mitsu Gods for giving us this "gift"
Old Jan 18, 2008, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The AYC is not the only new thing however. It is a completely new car with a far better chassis. To say people in other countries would notice nothing accept it being slower is ridiculous. I am not personally trying to argue that it is definitely a better car, but its certainly a different car. It will be better for some and not for others, same as when the 7 came out. The only way we will get a real feel for the potential of the platform is after its been out for a year or so and we can see the performance results when tuned

BTW, keep in mind that James has driven nearly every generation Evo including JDM 8/9s with AYC. He makes a point of the AYC in this article because it is new to us.

On another note, here is what I see going on in this forum:

The people on the positive side seem to point out the know advantages being better chassis, engine that has potential and some advanatages, and more features. They get called fanboys which seems odd. I dont see too many positive people stating that the car is god or definitely better for everything, but just rather that it has clear positives.

On the negative side, I hear a lot of "its slower (in a straight line), so it sucks". Using the few numbers that have come forward to declare it must be a worse car. This seems to me to be the more curious position. I would like to see some of the negative people that complain about fanboys be able to back up their views with more than just some drag race numbers. For example, some real world experience, or a technical break down, but I just see less of that.

So lets stop the war of sides as I am tired of hearing the word fanboy. Lets just get back to a normal discussion, for or against

Last edited by CharlesJ; Jan 18, 2008 at 07:04 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CharlesJ
The AYC is not the only new thing however. It is a completely new car with a far better chassis. BTW, keep in mind that James has driven nearly every generation Evo including JDM 8/9s with AYC. He makes a point of the AYC in this article because it is new to us.
My thoughts exactly. While I am driving the GTS, the added weight IMO plants the car firmly on the ground. While the X structual enhancements which is almost 100% stronger the the IX, with AYC it def takes handling to another level. IMO.
My GTS's handling surprised me in comparison to all the other cars that I test drove before I made my purchase.

The AYC wasn't offered to the US consumers on the previous generations, correct?
That is why I am not understanding the complaints on the AYC addition when I heard that alot of EVO owners would like to have that option.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 07:16 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by EVO-8-Nate
Honestly, why do you care what others think, if you like it then buy it.

I have followed EVOs and Skylines for some time now and I happen to be one of the people that believe that the EVO peaked with the EVO IX, I don't like a lot of the changes that they made to the X. I do like some though. The bigger brakes/ wheels and tires and AYC are a plus. Weight is always a negative to a true car enthusiasts because it is so hard to cut off of the car.

AYC is nice but isn't that much of an improvement for a car pulling dual DD and track use, which most of the owners will do if they ever do take it to the track. I drove a 2001 EVO VII that a mutual friend still to this day owns and I honestly didn't notice the AYC driving it around japans streets fairly hard.

I am back in Japan right now (Military) and have seen the X. It does look better in real life than it does on Video or in magazines. But the looks do not negate or sway my opinion of what I expect of a performance car. Maybe after a few months if I see others take the risks of purchasing and tuning the X and see benefits then I could very well change my point of view. But you shouldn't call people Fan-boys because they are backing a proven performer against a newer unproven model.

Be realistic here, the 4g63 and the last Gen chassis have made the EVO a true world contender, we aren't being Fan-boys we are just reluctant about all of the huge changes that were made to such a proven performer.

BTW, the US car market doesn't have the best record with Japanese sports cars look at how we killed the 300ZX TT/ Toyota SUPRA/ RX-7 and then the come backs have been fairly watered down. The 350Z is an NA and the RX-8 barely makes the HP of a mini van. They both had some improvements but all and all the true enthusiasts were very disappointed.

When I get back I will most likely buy a used EVO IX for track use to sit next to our BMW 335xi which I will choose over the EVO X.

My .02 cents.

-Nate
wow
Old Jan 18, 2008, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

I have read tons of comparisons on the IX and X at the track and they said the IX beats it around the track, so i don't get when you are saying we are only talking about straight line speed. Lets say the AYC helps doing corner right, but when it is trying to get to the next its too slow, it has no acc. therefore making a good turn isn't everything. Thats why the IX beats it around the track too. Unless we are going to race them on a figure 8 i don't see the X being faster at a track like luguna Seca (check spelling). We all know Top Gear will do a comparison of them at a track, thats what i want to see. Tired of this one sided stuff. I like some parts of the X but i'm nothing going to put it on a pedistial because its not there. and who ever said a 14s cars are good enough for the streets better rethink that.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

Evo-8-Nate made a lot of good points but one i can't agree with.
the 350z came back almost 300lbs lighter then the 300zxTT with same/more power.
It's one of the most popularly tuned cars as of writing this. I know i loved mine
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 06EVOIX SE
I have read tons of comparisons on the IX and X at the track and they said the IX beats it around the track, so i don't get when you are saying we are only talking about straight line speed. Lets say the AYC helps doing corner right, but when it is trying to get to the next its too slow, it has no acc. therefore making a good turn isn't everything. Thats why the IX beats it around the track too. Unless we are going to race them on a figure 8 i don't see the X being faster at a track like luguna Seca (check spelling). We all know Top Gear will do a comparison of them at a track, thats what i want to see. Tired of this one sided stuff. I like some parts of the X but i'm nothing going to put it on a pedistial because its not there. and who ever said a 14s cars are good enough for the streets better rethink that.
I have not heard this. I have heard that the X is far better on the curves then the IX. I heard that the IX is OVERALL the better car.
But if there was any comparisons, most reviews said they were the same on almost all aspects except for the straight line.
And i think your wrong on that "good turn isn't everything" statement. A good turn can be the final call that determines who gets the lead in a race. (pending on the track)
It's not everything but it's def in the top 5 on how a car should handle.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chino ali
I have not heard this. I have heard that the X is far better on the curves then the IX. I heard that the IX is OVERALL the better car.
But if there was any comparisons, most reviews said they were the same on almost all aspects except for the straight line.
And i think your wrong on that "good turn isn't everything" statement. A good turn can be the final call that determines who gets the lead in a race. (pending on the track)
It's not everything but it's def in the top 5 on how a car should handle.
Find a Jan. copy of Motor Tread mag., they did a full comparison of everything, and i do agree with you turning is important, what i'm trying to say is the IX makes really good turns, the X is a hair better, some people are trying to make it like the X is going to put 2 buses on the IX through a turn, its just going to pull maybe a bumper, and ones you are out the has no top end. if that makes sense.

Quick Reply: Evo X Review: "The Inevitable Evolution"