Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X official paint issues/problems thread {merge}

Old Oct 24, 2008, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey thank for the info... I'll call them and also take it to the dealer. I hope everybody with an X will to it too.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 10:12 PM
Cyp
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ao47
So, I finally installed some clear bra and it came out real well. 5 year warranty and if it goes through the clear bra, its still covered. Here's the finished product.

It's been doing its job b/c I've seen the white smear marks from rocks on the clear bra. All I have to do is just wipe it off.
what brand did you use and how much did it cost you?
Old Nov 3, 2008, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

That piece has great coverage. I haven't seen anything like that yet. More info please!
Old Nov 5, 2008, 07:45 PM
Cyp
Evolving Member

I went ahead and got the clear bra (XPEL). Installer did an amazing job. He started at 11am and finnished at 6:30pm today. Looks GREAT!! I got the bikini cut on the hood, mirrors, lights, grill, lower front, sides and rear aero kit and rear rocker panels. I have a white evo and you can bareley see it unless your really looking. Because of all the curves in the grill and aero kit, the installer took his time, and custom cut...adding to the pre cut pattern to cover more area. I'm impressed with the work and the kit.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is getting a few extra clear coats worth it? How much would doing so cost?
Old Nov 9, 2008, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Cyp
what brand did you use and how much did it cost you?
Its 3M clear bra and it cost $400 for the doors, mirrors, hood, and the wheel arches. The dealer I went to had the evo x cut outs for the rocker panels, but it didn't cover enough so he just made it custom. I told him where I wanted it covered and he did it. Its been 2 months since I've got it and its holding up really well and prevented a lot of chipping. The only thing I suggest is that you should go higher up on the door because I've gotten a few marks up there.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 06:26 PM

3M makes the best clear bra material.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kenji815
3M makes the best clear bra material.
ummm. no. Venture Shield is way better. There is a reason Ferrari and Mercedes use it.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TheBlueBlur
ummm. no. Venture Shield is way better. There is a reason Ferrari and Mercedes use it.
my ferrari has 3m on it. Works great, no issues.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 08:11 AM

I just picked up a 2008 Evo X GSR in Rally Red 2 weeks ago as of yesterday. I just peeked at this thread and went out to my own car to see how bad it could be after just 2 weeks of light driving (I haven't even turned 1000 on the ODO yet).... looks horrible. I'm going to go to the dealer and order flaps as soon as I get out of work.

I am having nothing but regrets about buying this car. I just want my VIII back at this point. I'm having issues with my all season tires rubbing the inside of the wheel wells, and now this... If I wanted paint that chipped when you so much as sneezed on it, I'd go back to my WRX.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tayaya
I just picked up a 2008 Evo X GSR in Rally Red 2 weeks ago as of yesterday. I just peeked at this thread and went out to my own car to see how bad it could be after just 2 weeks of light driving (I haven't even turned 1000 on the ODO yet).... looks horrible. I'm going to go to the dealer and order flaps as soon as I get out of work.

I am having nothing but regrets about buying this car. I just want my VIII back at this point. I'm having issues with my all season tires rubbing the inside of the wheel wells, and now this... If I wanted paint that chipped when you so much as sneezed on it, I'd go back to my WRX.
The VIII did the exact same thing.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why do you have all seasons?
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by rogue
Why do you have all seasons?
Because I live in Chicago. The Advans simply won't do this time of year all the way through about late April/early May. I know I could put Winter tires on instead of all-season tires but for me, not owning a tire machine or having balancing equipment in my own garage, it's a pain in the *** to swap the tires seasonally, so once winter hits I put on all-season tires and then I'm done with it. I have never had any performance or handling problems using Pilot Sport A/S tires on my old Evo, so while the Advans are figgin' awesome tires, my driving style doesn't warrant the need for the extra performance. It's a daily driven car that doesn't see race or autocross events, with the exception of occasional trips to Gingerman for open track days. I don't street race, and therefore for normal driving an all-season Y rated performance tire is fine.

As for the same kinds of chipping happening on the VIII, maybe it was the yellow color, but in our home we had a 2003 and a 2004 Evo, both in Lightning Yellow, and I never had the problems with chipping that I could see, even after 3 years of ownership. The hoods on both cars got some nice ones, but the sides were fine. That said, to see this kind of chipping on my X after two weeks of grandpa-like break-in driving is really disheartening.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

rallyarmor FTW
Old Nov 19, 2008, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i washed the car today and saw plenty again and decided to wax the 2 rear doors just for the heck of it and to my amazement majority of it went away. try waxing and see if they come off, basically what i am trying to say is they might not be paint chips. definitely rocks are hitting it but maybe my driving (slow) or the mudflaps are helping ease the impact and just lightly scratching it. try it and come post here again.

Last edited by beetle_orange; Nov 19, 2008 at 06:40 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Evo X official paint issues/problems thread {merge}