Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X Mr Turned Down Because Of A/t

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2008, 02:33 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Noize
If you love the SST, who cares what all the traditional manual only guys think, right?
+100. Exactly.

Originally Posted by Keepster13
The SST is a great option for people who are unable to drive a clutch car. (Think of handicaped people). They can now enjoy an Evo.

I turned down the MR b/c of the SST.
I can never respect such an ignorant comment. Bashing a car before it's even released. You better edit that post now, becuase when your raving about it's greatness, I'll quote you and remind you of your stance on the SST.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Read the whole post before you highlight one small portion and go off, please!
I read your whole post and was responding specifically to the part I quoted.
Most of my post though, was not directed at you.

Granted the SMG is a little older, but a six speed manual with clutch E46 M3 will outperform an SMG E46 M3 anyday.
It's not just "a little older", it's a completely different type of automated manual trans. It's called a sequential manual and not only is it older, it had a lot of problems.

I've driven the VW/Audi DSG in turbo four and NA VR6 applications and was not overly impressed. If you don't want to increase the power substantially, you might be able to get away with a transmission like this. The Skyline is a completely different animal, because it was engineered to handle asinine amounts of power.
About the DSG: yes, very true they are still a bit of an unknown as far as how much power can safely be put through them. The GT-R may be in a different league, but its transmission is the same type of technology as the DSG.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 06:49 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by JRock
About the DSG: yes, very true they are still a bit of an unknown as far as how much power can safely be put through them. The GT-R may be in a different league, but its transmission is the same type of technology as the DSG.
Get ready for a barrage of acronyms!

I'm familiar with the fundamental differences between an SMG and the DSG. I also know the R35 GT-R uses a DSG.

But really, all what both of us have said before is meaningless, since the animal in question here is Mitsu's Twin Clutch SST. My issue with it was the article I read from Grassroots Motorsports. I didn't cite it yesterday, because I was in the office and the magazine was at home. I had a chance to read it again, and even at stock power level with a pretty aggressive autocross morning, they had it go into limp mode a few times when the transmission got hot. To add insult to injury, they also said they were a wee bit faster in the GSR. These guys are absolutely pro level drivers, and among a small handful of people in the US who have actually driven an MR.

Now consider this, as EcuTeK and other tuning solutions are coming available, lots of Evo owners are going to want to opt in. With basic mods, like a flash and an exhaust, this car has the potential to easily see a 30% increase in power for not much of an investment. How do you think an SST that gets hot and goes into limp mode from tracking at stock power levels is going to react to an additional 100whp?

I truly hope I am wrong.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Get ready for a barrage of acronyms!

I'm familiar with the fundamental differences between an SMG and the DSG. I also know the R35 GT-R uses a DSG.

But really, all what both of us have said before is meaningless, since the animal in question here is Mitsu's Twin Clutch SST. My issue with it was the article I read from Grassroots Motorsports. I didn't cite it yesterday, because I was in the office and the magazine was at home. I had a chance to read it again, and even at stock power level with a pretty aggressive autocross morning, they had it go into limp mode a few times when the transmission got hot. To add insult to injury, they also said they were a wee bit faster in the GSR. These guys are absolutely pro level drivers, and among a small handful of people in the US who have actually driven an MR.

Now consider this, as EcuTeK and other tuning solutions are coming available, lots of Evo owners are going to want to opt in. With basic mods, like a flash and an exhaust, this car has the potential to easily see a 30% increase in power for not much of an investment. How do you think an SST that gets hot and goes into limp mode from tracking at stock power levels is going to react to an additional 100whp?

I truly hope I am wrong.
Good post +1
Old Apr 4, 2008, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by DirectorSe7en
+100. Exactly.

I can never respect such an ignorant comment.
I knew someone would be "That Guy". The SST allows, in my mind, wounded war vets, ect. to drive the evo.

Originally Posted by DirectorSe7en
Bashing a car before it's even released. You better edit that post now, becuase when your raving about it's greatness, I'll quote you and remind you of your stance on the SS.
Like Nozie said, Read the entire post before responding. I stated that the SST, and alike trannies, are the correct choice for racing, F1,WRC, and ect.

Do I do any of that? No.
I do not need to defend my personaly views. You need to accept them and move on.

You might post saying that I said I think auto's are for the masses. I do. But...Again read above.. "Which in production cars they should be. If you are going to race Pro...There is no arguement."

I never stated the SST sucks or is crap or will never be good or is slower than my car.

I do agree with you it may have seemed like I was bashing the SST. I was not.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I truly hope I am wrong.
You see, post like this **** me off big time! First, author goes and calls him self after the article read in the magazine so he can have stronger point in what he is saying. After the first read it looked like there is something in what he is writing. But, things where just not lined up all the way so I go out and check that same source (GrassrootsMotorsport magazine). And what was in there? A story written at least 3 months ago where testing was done with a preproduction MR which had issues. Those issues where all over the web and I bet in anything that even the author of the above article knows about them (but that is just my speculation, so leave it at that). It is also known that Mitsubishi is working on the issues and that is possibly one of the reason why MR is late for arrival.

Still, even though all of the above was known, author goes and writes the stuff above that is 100% based on the old article from the car that is not the production one. Ironically, at the end he is trying to say that he is hoping that those things are not true and I just find that amazing.

Originally Posted by Joe's Evo X
Good post +1
Then at the end we have another smart a$$ comment that just makes the stuff above even more true!! Right!

I just can't stop to wonder why is that people have a need to trash things like this. As my friend said just a little while ago, at first the big trashing was about the power that new engine is gona make and after that was proven to be a non issue, they are all silent and nobody is mentioning all of the affection of the week engine that new EVO is going to have. Now, lot of manual transmission guys can't stop in trashing the SST and even have to create a thread to point out how bad the SST is and how smart their decision was in the first place! Anyone who goes the other way will make a big mistake and it will suffer for the rest of the life. And all of this even before any larger number of guys drove the darn thing. Unbelievable!

Fedja

Last edited by MrAWD; Apr 4, 2008 at 11:18 AM.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Wow, it took that many pages for the "Automatics are for gimps" argument to pop up?

- Patrick
Old Sep 23, 2009, 12:51 PM

slow down mode on evo x mr?

....I had my car (evo x mr) for about 6 months i kinda regret it...its super gay with that slow down mode i cant launch it anymore it would tell me to slow down. does anyone know what i can do to get rid of the slow down mode.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

For those who haven't driven the SST, you wont understand how it FEELS like a manual in the way it responds. I do agree, however, it isn't the same involvement as a normal MT, but damn, I rarely miss the MT.

IMHO, buying an Evo to drag race in a straight line is like having a **** star girlfriend just to hold hands with.

And to the rest of you...driving a car is only ever 50% involvement. If you want 100% mental and physical involvement in operating a vehicle, get a bike. No computers, SAWC, no ABS, no TCS. You need the left hand to clutch, the right hand to brake AND throttle simultaneously, your right foot to control the rear brake, your left foot to shift. You need your entire body to move to get around a corner fast, and at the end of the day...no airbags or metal box to save your sorry *** if you screw up. All on a vehicle that will do 0-60 in under 3 seconds, and a top speed around 180mph.

ps: yes, a good car will lap faster than a bike, but nowhere near as fun.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Only issue with DSG and SST tech is the off the line launch. High rev clutch drops are what kill clutches fast but give a great off the line jump.. DSGs and SSTs are to expensive to service so there is no good option to achieve a launch as violent as a manual. They need to design SSTs and DSGs so that the clutches can easily be replaced like in regular manuals the implement a real full manual mode that lets you rev to red line then drop hard..

BUT, once off the line the DSGs and SSTs are fare superior as far as efficiently maintaing high revs in and out of corners
Old Sep 24, 2009, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Joe's Evo X
Well I figured I would throw this out there. How many people (LIKE ME) turned away from buying the MR and bought a GSR because the MR has an A/T. IMO I have to have the feel of a M/T there is nothing else like it. Maybe if I buy a truck or a luxy. car down the road ill get an A/T MAYBE but not my EVO
It was hard for me to justify the extra cash, I told myself I wanted the 3rd pedal regardless if it was better than the manual! Plus, I didn't have a lot to choose from being the MR wasn't even on America soil when I purchased my GSR!
Old Sep 24, 2009, 01:45 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Start a new thread with your question in the SST forum instead of restoring a 17 month old flamefest next time, n00b.