Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Quiet exhaust with performance?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2008, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBonus
Maybe I should have stuck with my initial instinct and gone with the Ultimate Racing cat back.
Are you running your Greddy system with a test pipe or the stock cat?
Old Jun 25, 2008, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by melnor
Are you running your Greddy system with a test pipe or the stock cat?
Stock cat.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 12:48 PM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
the problem with too quiet exhaust that it gains minimal power that may render the upgrade cost ineffective.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by viasevenvai
My GTI has a TB 3" exhaust and I've grown to hate the hell out of it.

I'd love to mod a EVO X. But the ONLY thing that is holding me back is the fact that on turbo cars you almost have to do something to the exhaust.

MY QUESTION: Are dump tubes a good solution? Can the factory ECU handle the quick changes and not run lean/rich/crappy?

what other options are there?

I want to play it safe too, because when someone gets a new exhaust they'll post a review and say "oh it's so great, it's not that loud and barely any drone."

Ya, I would say the exact same thing about my 3" exhaust the first few weeks I had it too. But once you get tired of it it's volume seems to double every time you get in the car.

If someone can please give me an accurate reason as to why perhaps the EVO X won't have a drone, or if there is actually an exhaust that is tuned like a factory exhaust but with higher flow please let me know

Goals of modding would be to put 20k into it all and shoot for a safe and responsive 450hp. So touching the exhaust is going to be inevitable, if i chose to start digging for power.
I feel as though once all the tuners and aftermarket companies get some more R&D time on the 4B11 getting 450hp safely might only cost half of the 20k you expect to spend. Just curious 450 on pump or 450 on race fuel? Modified stock turbo, bolt ons + race has gotten around 400-430ish on race fuel. I'm on the same boat as you, I would like a quiet exhaust that doesn't lose out too much on performance. My VIII ran a HFC + 3in' DP/Catback so it was rather loud. I've also noticed that axleback mufflers/resonators on the X seem to produce more in cabin drone versus. just pipes + tips for the axleback. This time I plan on going all-out suspension type mods first before any power because I plan on tracking the X, but hopefully when i'm ready for power lots of R&D will be done on the 4B11. BTW, you could always run an apexi ECV, buddie is running a setup like that on his X and it does noticeably silence the exhaust on the fly.