Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

MR Trans is worth every penny!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2008, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Impulsoren
Sure would like to, but the dealer won't let me. I guess I make too much money to be driving a Mitsubishi.
Seriously...I go into the dealer ready to drop $40k on a new car and they straight up tell me I can't test drive it. I guess they're trying to keep up the Mitsubishi tradition of not selling cars.

Back on topic, I can't wait to test out an MR. I never thought about getting one but it sounds too good to not consider...This is what the future of cars is moving towards so I think you've got to embrace it at some point.

Last edited by macPSU; Jul 17, 2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 05:44 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
I think some of it is personal preference. I hate not shifting myself, its just unnatural to me. Part of the allure of driving a performance car for me is a strong connection between the car and driver. Having a gearbox that you need to row and a driver controlled clutch really help accomplish this.

I don't care if an MR shifts faster than I can, smoother than I can, and has better gear ratios. Any transmission with flappy paddles and a clutch I cannot control gets a "no go" in my book, new GT-R included. I'd love to drive an MR and a GT-R, I could appreciate them a ton, but I won't convert. The last thing I want is to be more isolated from the whole driving experience.

After all that, though, I would love to see an MR with standard bolt ons and a full out custom tune. I bet one of these in the 350whp range would be just sick and really fun to try out on a track.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good review. makes me want to get one.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 09:44 AM

Very good non biased review.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

Any transmission with flappy paddles and a clutch I cannot control gets a "no go" in my book
Just playing devils advocate, but isn't the appealing thing about the Evo it's amazing technology compared to other cars? I mean think of how many CPU systems are controlling aspects of this car.

That said, I still can't make up my mind on whether to get an MR or GSR.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by triso
Just playing devils advocate, but isn't the appealing thing about the Evo it's amazing technology compared to other cars? I mean think of how many CPU systems are controlling aspects of this car.

That said, I still can't make up my mind on whether to get an MR or GSR.
I would say it's more the capability than the technology. I don't care if the ayc is control by a trained monkey, so long as he is reliable and predictable

For a daily driver I would take a paddle shift. For dedicated track only... probably still the manual. If it was pro racing (as in lots of money on the line).. the paddle.

We just don't know enough about the MR tranny yet and it's ability to stand up to heavy modding.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Porsche, VW,Lamborghini,Buggatti, Audi, Mitsubishi and the list goes on and on.
Besides Mitsubishi, isn't that all just one company?

Though I hear others are about to offer it
Old Jul 18, 2008, 11:09 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
Well congrats on the car, but I don't think you really know much about the GSR making comments like that. It's got a much stronger tranny than the MR, and although it may be a bit rough because of having very aggressive synchros, it's the strongest tranny that mitsu has ever made and will hold a ton of power. As far as it feeling slow and having flat spots in the powerband... maybe you drove one of the early GSRs that didn't have the latest factory reflash that I guarantee your MR has, but saying that the GSR feels 50 hp slower is ridiculous... especially considering that the magazines all rate the GSR as being faster in the 1/4.

Look, I'm happy for you that you are enjoying your MR, but realize that it's a luxury cruiser version of the GSR, and although it's faster around some tracks, it's slower around others; this has been proven in the magazine tests of the two. The suspesion is also softer sprung as well, which is why it feels cushier than the GSR. This unfortunately shows up in the skidpad tests though, showing the GSR at .99 Gs and the MR at .96 Gs. Slower slalom speed is another area that it takes a hit as well. It makes up for these shortcomings on certain tracks that require a lot of shifting by providing the super fast shifting that you are enjoying so much, but on higher speed tracks that don't require quite as much shifting it loses to the GSR.

Mitsubishi even said so themselves in a press release that the GSR is for the sports car enthusiast and purist, whilst the MR is for the guy who wants great performance but values creature comforts and technology more than all out performance and rawness. All I'm saying is that your perception of the GSR is way off and you need to chill out with the superiority complex of your MR being better than the GSR and realize that there had to be compromises in your MR model to make it the better daily driver that for you is definitely a better fit. Just be aware of the fact that there's no such thing as a luxury race car. It's one or the other, and when you add a little bit of one aspect it takes away from the other.
Did the OP $#!T in your cornflakes?

Originally Posted by Papi4baby
So how do you launch the MR at the track? keep it neutral and put it in drive while revving the engine???? Or is there a launch mode?
Yes, there is a launch control.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Well congrats on the car, but I don't think you really know much about the GSR making comments like that. It's got a much stronger tranny than the MR, and although it may be a bit rough because of having very aggressive synchros, it's the strongest tranny that mitsu has ever made and will hold a ton of power. As far as it feeling slow and having flat spots in the powerband... maybe you drove one of the early GSRs that didn't have the latest factory reflash that I guarantee your MR has, but saying that the GSR feels 50 hp slower is ridiculous... especially considering that the magazines all rate the GSR as being faster in the 1/4.

Look, I'm happy for you that you are enjoying your MR, but realize that it's a luxury cruiser version of the GSR, and although it's faster around some tracks, it's slower around others; this has been proven in the magazine tests of the two. The suspesion is also softer sprung as well, which is why it feels cushier than the GSR. This unfortunately shows up in the skidpad tests though, showing the GSR at .99 Gs and the MR at .96 Gs. Slower slalom speed is another area that it takes a hit as well. It makes up for these shortcomings on certain tracks that require a lot of shifting by providing the super fast shifting that you are enjoying so much, but on higher speed tracks that don't require quite as much shifting it loses to the GSR.

Mitsubishi even said so themselves in a press release that the GSR is for the sports car enthusiast and purist, whilst the MR is for the guy who wants great performance but values creature comforts and technology more than all out performance and rawness. All I'm saying is that your perception of the GSR is way off and you need to chill out with the superiority complex of your MR being better than the GSR and realize that there had to be compromises in your MR model to make it the better daily driver that for you is definitely a better fit. Just be aware of the fact that there's no such thing as a luxury race car. It's one or the other, and when you add a little bit of one aspect it takes away from the other.
Damn man I thought your complex ended with the X's. Now it's even against the X MR's? Stock for stock, haven't the MR's proven themselves on the track at least a part of the time on the track? You said yourself, with lower g's, softer springs, and a slower slalom time it still beats the GSR half the time. I bet it's due to the transmission he was praising.

Always trying to bust on anyone who even implies something negative about the X, like you're trying to make sure he knows his place in the world. Relax, your X GSR is much faster than any X MR will be.

He was just appreciating the brilliant MR transmission. It is possible that it may feel a little quicker when the tranny just goes on it's own and you're not even doing anything but holding down the gas. I've yet to test drive, as the dealership wouldn't let me, and didn't have one when I was in the market for a X, but I've heard only wonderful things about it (except it's launch control).
Old Jul 18, 2008, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dyno4mance
I would say it's more the capability than the technology. I don't care if the ayc is control by a trained monkey, so long as he is reliable and predictable

For a daily driver I would take a paddle shift. For dedicated track only... probably still the manual. If it was pro racing (as in lots of money on the line).. the paddle.

We just don't know enough about the MR tranny yet and it's ability to stand up to heavy modding.
Someone mod a MR already! I was going to get a GT-R but a brake job is right at $6,000 and I am going to be tracking it, tranny change is $1000, oil change is $250 so they can keep it.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Atlmethevo
I was going to get a GT-R but a brake job is right at $6,000 and I am going to be tracking it, tranny change is $1000, oil change is $250 so they can keep it.
So change your own brake pads and fluids...
Old Jul 18, 2008, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by adambl03
Did the OP $#!T in your cornflakes?

Originally Posted by kyooch
Damn man I thought your complex ended with the X's. Now it's even against the X MR's? Stock for stock, haven't the MR's proven themselves on the track at least a part of the time on the track? You said yourself, with lower g's, softer springs, and a slower slalom time it still beats the GSR half the time. I bet it's due to the transmission he was praising.

Always trying to bust on anyone who even implies something negative about the X, like you're trying to make sure he knows his place in the world. Relax, your X GSR is much faster than any X MR will be.

He was just appreciating the brilliant MR transmission. It is possible that it may feel a little quicker when the tranny just goes on it's own and you're not even doing anything but holding down the gas. I've yet to test drive, as the dealership wouldn't let me, and didn't have one when I was in the market for a X, but I've heard only wonderful things about it (except it's launch control).
My only comment was that he was knocking the GSR like his MR is so much better, and I thought I would just let the hard facts put him in his place.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 08:14 PM

Launch control procedure is shown here, haven't been brave enough to give it a go yet though.

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?t...nnel=627259020
Old Jul 19, 2008, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

My only comment was that he was knocking the GSR like his MR is so much better, and I thought I would just let the hard facts put him in his place.
OK, this is the 3rd time I have said this in my own thread. Its not my car. I didn't buy one. I test drove it because I sell them.

I would pin any bolt on MR vs any bolt on GSR on any road course or auto X and the MR would win every time. That trans is just too good and too consistant. Just leave her in S-Sport and "D" and follow a good line on the track. There is just less for the driver to do. You don't seem to understand that track time records will fall with automated manuals like these. Its a whole new world out there buddy with advancing technology and new ideas, either your gonna join it or be put in your place.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Withnail75
Launch control procedure is shown here, haven't been brave enough to give it a go yet though.

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?t...nnel=627259020
Drive that b*tch like you stole it.

I go through at least one set of rear tires evry summer, she can take it, and if not, well then you found the weak spot that needs fixing.

if your car is limiting you then you need a new car, i guarentee thats not the case, become the driver mod

Quick Reply: MR Trans is worth every penny!