Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

MR Trans is worth every penny!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2008, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Trouble
The sequential tranny used in race cars (such as rally, le mans etc) is not the same as the MR ones right? Aren't those the ultimate tranny interms of performance? Also you should be using dogbox if you want ultimate strength.
You are right. The MR does NOT have the same tranny as race cars. Those racing trannys are clutchless / synchroless dogboxes where the gears are essentially slammed from one to the next. And yes they are designed for ultimate strength. But it wouldn't be very practical for daily use - much less affordable.

But what the MR does have is the twin-clutch SST which will give you race-like results through "quicker gear shifting with no drop-off in engine power."

Imagine being able to powershift like 10 times faster than a manual. I can certainly see the advantages to that.

Last edited by Evo_Someday; Jul 22, 2008 at 07:26 AM.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 10:02 AM

does the title of this thread sound wrong only to me?
Old Jul 24, 2008, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Everybody knows that the Mitsu 5spd is strong. The transfer case is well...another issue. But my question is, where is everybody getting the idea that the TC-SST in the X MR weak? Did the tuners already reach the limit of the tranny? The fact that it has two clutches means two times the cost of upgrading, but has anybody reached the limit of the MR SST tranny yet?
Old Jul 26, 2008, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

I guess nobody knows.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hopefully I can test drive one but I'm sure I would need to put down a deposit first.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i just bought my 08 ww x mr today, never test drove it.i traded in a evo9.i dont miss the evo9 at all.the mr does delay for a second mashing the gas in normal mode but it gets up and moves after that.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Have all of the SST haters in this thread done the carburetor "upgrade" on their EVO? Oh, and the hand choke? And dumped the ACD?

I have never seen a single post from anyone complaining about computer controlled fuel and air mixing on their EVO. If an ECU controlled engine is such a great idea, why would not a computer controlled tranny be at least as equally good an idea?

Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:19 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jim in Tucson
Have all of the SST haters in this thread done the carburetor "upgrade" on their EVO? Oh, and the hand choke? And dumped the ACD?

I have never seen a single post from anyone complaining about computer controlled fuel and air mixing on their EVO. If an ECU controlled engine is such a great idea, why would not a computer controlled tranny be at least as equally good an idea?

agree.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

+1

Last edited by Jblade; Jul 27, 2008 at 06:00 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Hey don't stir the pot buddy! Stating sensible things to unreasonable people will get you thrown in the logic penalty box
Old Jul 27, 2008, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

+1 Yes, this tranny is nice. Maybe someday I'll have one of my own..
Old Jul 27, 2008, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Because it's uninvolving and boring. Many pro drivers of cars like these complain that it takes away from the overall experience of what driving a sports car is all about. Aside from that, I think that the main issue is that from a modification point of view, these tranny types are not a good option. Mitsu even says in their training videos about the car that if something is wrong that the entire tranny needs to be replaced because it's a sealed unit and cannot be taken apart.

This is an issue for anyone who wants to modify their car, as the clutches cannot be upgraded and the design doesn't allow for anywhere near as much power handling capacity as a manual transmission. If you aren't a purist and don't care about driver involvement, and you don't plan on raising power levels then this would be a good choice for you. For everyone else, automated manual FTL.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Jul 27, 2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:54 PM

the sst transmission on the MR is amazing. Sister got the silver one today and i just fell in love with it. oh well thats what i get for jumping in early and getting the gsr, instead of waiting for the MR like she did.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
Because it's uninvolving and boring. Many pro drivers of cars like these complain that it takes away from the overall experience of what driving a sports car is all about. Aside from that, I think that the main issue is that from a modification point of view, these tranny types are not a good option. Mitsu even says in their training videos about the car that if something is wrong that the entire tranny needs to be replaced because it's a sealed unit and cannot be taken apart.

This is an issue for anyone who wants to modify their car, as the clutches cannot be upgraded and the design doesn't allow for anywhere near as much power handling capacity as a manual transmission. If you aren't a purist and don't care about driver involvement, and you don't plan on raising power levels then this would be a good choice for you. For everyone else, automated manual FTL.
nm, i found my answer.

According to Getrag, 332lbs/tq is the limit.

WTF. Thats like..40 lbs/tq more than stock.

Last edited by boostedawd; Jul 28, 2008 at 08:50 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by FLOW1
Hopefully I can test drive one but I'm sure I would need to put down a deposit first.
I put $1000 down on my MR, and they STILL won't let me test drive the GSR sitting on the lot.

Quick Reply: MR Trans is worth every penny!