Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

MR Trans is worth every penny!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2008, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LITE SPD
Seeing the car up close didn't do much for me. The wheels didn't set off the car like I'd hoped and the chrome trim in the front was tacky. The seats feel better though. But enough of that, the trans makes this car. Its almost like Mitsubishi put a clunky 5-speed in the GSR on purpose. It makes you feel like Paul Tracy is hidding in the MRs trans doing the shifting for you.

In normal mode the car will shift as smooth as a Lexus. It feels like you are actually engaging the clutch from a stop in first just like a hand shaker. But once you get moving she feels just like any high end auto trans upshifting for you.
In sport mode things start to get interesting. Almost no turbo lag! Its like the car knew what gear to be in to eliminate it. And it shifts hard and percise. No hesitation or delay or gear hunting. Its always in the right gear at the right time to keep the car moving. I didn't try it in super sport mode because the car was too new.

And forget the stupid paddle shifters, this car doesn't need them. It brings back the human element in driving this car. Still a human can make a mistake on where to upshift or downshift. A human could never shift like this 100% of the time and thats why this trans is so good. Get rid of the human element in shifting and you get perfection. The only reason I could even see someone wanting a manual is if they wanted to make 200 more hp than stock. And even then I would take an MR SST over a GSR with 200 more hp. Real high powered fast manual trans EVOs can be a bear to drive everyday and can become old fast. This car will alow you to relax and have the power to pass anyone at will. That will never get old. It may leave you wanting for more power, but once you break something or get stuck in traffic with some light switch of a EVO, you'll want to go back to being mildly modified with a nice everyday car. Just my opinion.

A couple of things I noticed on my test drive:
-the car felt real strong, like 50 more hp stronger than a GSR.
-I never felt any flat spot in the power band like in the GSRs.
-the car actually felt fast in a straight line (like stock IX fast)
-smooth ride, tad bit smoother than a GSR or even an STI
-the car felt very poised over broken pavement (it didn't skitter around or track the crown of the road).

I walked up to the car disapointed and walked away with the excitement of a little kid opening up a new gift on Christmas morning. For the money Mitsubishi hit a homerun with this setup. Now I could only imagine what a Nissan GTR feels like. Same type of trans with double the power.
Thanks for the review. I got my MR two weeks ago with the aero kit. The tranny is fantastic. I used to run an S4 with the tiptronoc and I find, in stock form, this is much faster and taking turns is amazing. I would suggest everyone check the tire pressure. It was delivered with 48 psi and what a hard ride. When I figured out the problem, it was a pleasure.
Even on the road ,guys drive up and have me roll down the window to talk about the car. It definitly is a crowd pleaser.
My tuner says he will be able to bring the whp up to 310 without engine mods. That's about 360 engine hp based on our dyno test. Add the pipes and a good filter and you do the math. The tuner is confident that the sst will take it, as long as you don't launch on a regular basis.
Next weekend I get the tuning and will advise. Ivy is my tuner and has worked on my sons 8 with remarkable results.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
Well congrats on the car, but I don't think you really know much about the GSR making comments like that. It's got a much stronger tranny than the MR, and although it may be a bit rough because of having very aggressive synchros, it's the strongest tranny that mitsu has ever made and will hold a ton of power. As far as it feeling slow and having flat spots in the powerband... maybe you drove one of the early GSRs that didn't have the latest factory reflash that I guarantee your MR has, but saying that the GSR feels 50 hp slower is ridiculous... especially considering that the magazines all rate the GSR as being faster in the 1/4.

Look, I'm happy for you that you are enjoying your MR, but realize that it's a luxury cruiser version of the GSR, and although it's faster around some tracks, it's slower around others; this has been proven in the magazine tests of the two. The suspesion is also softer sprung as well, which is why it feels cushier than the GSR. This unfortunately shows up in the skidpad tests though, showing the GSR at .99 Gs and the MR at .96 Gs. Slower slalom speed is another area that it takes a hit as well. It makes up for these shortcomings on certain tracks that require a lot of shifting by providing the super fast shifting that you are enjoying so much, but on higher speed tracks that don't require quite as much shifting it loses to the GSR.

Mitsubishi even said so themselves in a press release that the GSR is for the sports car enthusiast and purist, whilst the MR is for the guy who wants great performance but values creature comforts and technology more than all out performance and rawness. All I'm saying is that your perception of the GSR is way off and you need to chill out with the superiority complex of your MR being better than the GSR and realize that there had to be compromises in your MR model to make it the better daily driver that for you is definitely a better fit. Just be aware of the fact that there's no such thing as a luxury race car. It's one or the other, and when you add a little bit of one aspect it takes away from the other.
I know you love your GSR as you should but what magazines are you reading.
The last one I read gave the MR a 1.03 on the skidpad. Regardless, every mag gives a different story as there are different drivers of different capabilities. Yes, the MR drives softer but it has a superior suspension and that's why. You pay more and you get more.
Those of you who want the GTR, just remember that it isn't any pleasure to drive casually. Hard ....hard.....hard. Every review says the same thing. Cheap interior, unmodible and hard riding. If your just tracking it's ok but on the road, I don't think so. We will see?
Old Jul 19, 2008, 07:23 PM

i was shopping the GTR until i found out the maintainance costs.

250 oil change
6000 (yes six thousand) for all 4 brakes
1000 tranny oil

the kicker? you cannot DYI any of this or you will void warranty. Its in the manual. If you dont like the way nissan is handling the maintainance issue..then dont buy it.

the MR is an amazing car, dont knock it until you take a test drive.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

...you need to chill out with the superiority complex...
Oh, the irony...

Cabo
Old Jul 20, 2008, 07:38 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlmethevo
Someone mod a MR already! I was going to get a GT-R but a brake job is right at $6,000 and I am going to be tracking it, tranny change is $1000, oil change is $250 so they can keep it.
AMS has a thread where they've put several bolt-ons on the MR. It's in the X forums somewhere. I'm too hung over to look

Originally Posted by Withnail75
Launch control procedure is shown here, haven't been brave enough to give it a go yet though.

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?t...nnel=627259020
Just go for it. It's set at a safe level so you wont destroy the tranny, clutches or diffs. You'll be fine
Old Jul 20, 2008, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=124246

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=126453

From the above lnk:
"The Evo MR, however, is too soft to take full advantage of its otherwise stellar chassis when the going gets truly uneven. We bottomed the suspension on several occasions. A big part of an Evo's advantage on a road like this is being able to put its tires in places that would upset cars with less suspension travel. But the MR's softer Bilstein dampers simply aren't up to this kind of pounding. The GSR's suspension is likely better suited to this terrain, but it's not available with the twin-clutch gearbox. So we're left wanting an Evo that doesn't exist — and knowing that it would be quicker still."

The MR is a great car, but the bilsteins are NOT superior, they are designed for a smoother ride and there is a performance compromise in doing so. The tranny is so great in that thing that it makes up for this on tracks that are tight and technical where a lot of shifting would otherwise be required. As mentioned before though, on faster tracks where there is not quite as much shifting required, the GSR is faster due to it's superior cornering performance. End of story.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by revin9k
i was shopping the GTR until i found out the maintainance costs.

250 oil change
6000 (yes six thousand) for all 4 brakes
1000 tranny oil

the kicker? you cannot DYI any of this or you will void warranty. Its in the manual. If you dont like the way nissan is handling the maintainance issue..then dont buy it.

the MR is an amazing car, dont knock it until you take a test drive.
What the? Damn...makes me think of not getting one (even the vspec) and just getting an evo.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 09:36 AM

Check this out...

Originally Posted by zTargeTz
I don't know how relevant this is, but coming from a "medium" modified cobra. I'd have to disagree,

ESPECIALLY with a turbo car (coming from a heavily modified GSX) you can have the best of both worlds, stop and go traffic has NOTHING to do with how modded your car is, there's no such thing as a "light switch" evo, that **** makes me laugh, those 2L wont do **** with out a spooled turbo.

the trans. though, that sounds VERY interesting, right now I'm leaning in the direction of the GSR (mostly for monetary factors and weight and power capabilities)

BUT

if this tyranny can take some heat. hmm...
The major flaw with the gsr is the lack of a six speed. If you're going past 70 mph, that tranny will get old quick. I would get a gsr if it had a 6 speed, but will hold off for the evo x mr. When I took a test drive in the gsr, I loved everything but the lack of an extra gear. And it is only a matter of time before the aftermarket will find some way of beefing the mr tranny up. If they can put 550 whp through a vw dsg, then it's only a matter of time for the evo mr...
Old Jul 20, 2008, 09:44 AM

I second that

Originally Posted by LITE SPD
OK, this is the 3rd time I have said this in my own thread. Its not my car. I didn't buy one. I test drove it because I sell them.

I would pin any bolt on MR vs any bolt on GSR on any road course or auto X and the MR would win every time. That trans is just too good and too consistant. Just leave her in S-Sport and "D" and follow a good line on the track. There is just less for the driver to do. You don't seem to understand that track time records will fall with automated manuals like these. Its a whole new world out there buddy with advancing technology and new ideas, either your gonna join it or be put in your place.
It is only a matter of time before manual trannies become a thing of the past. And besides, mitsubishi put the achilles heel in the gsr with that 5 speed tranny. I would bet that every evo x gsr owner secretly would like a six speed tranny. Any speed over 70mph gets old quick...
Old Jul 20, 2008, 10:29 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=124246

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=126453

From the above lnk:
"The Evo MR, however, is too soft to take full advantage of its otherwise stellar chassis when the going gets truly uneven. We bottomed the suspension on several occasions. A big part of an Evo's advantage on a road like this is being able to put its tires in places that would upset cars with less suspension travel. But the MR's softer Bilstein dampers simply aren't up to this kind of pounding. The GSR's suspension is likely better suited to this terrain, but it's not available with the twin-clutch gearbox. So we're left wanting an Evo that doesn't exist — and knowing that it would be quicker still."

The MR is a great car, but the bilsteins are NOT superior, they are designed for a smoother ride and there is a performance compromise in doing so. The tranny is so great in that thing that it makes up for this on tracks that are tight and technical where a lot of shifting would otherwise be required. As mentioned before though, on faster tracks where there is not quite as much shifting required, the GSR is faster due to it's superior cornering performance. End of story.
I wouldn't rest your argument on the likes of Edmunds. Edmunds is pretty much at the bottom of the food chain when it comes to automotive press.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Rguy
Borg warner makes the GTR tranny. Getrag makes the TC-SST
borg warner also makes the DSG tranny (which has been in the states since 03)
Old Jul 21, 2008, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by liushen67
It is only a matter of time before manual trannies become a thing of the past. And besides, mitsubishi put the achilles heel in the gsr with that 5 speed tranny. I would bet that every evo x gsr owner secretly would like a six speed tranny. Any speed over 70mph gets old quick...
nah, I've made many 3+ hour trips at 80mph. The "noise" is not a problem, the RF system is pretty good and sounds decent while highway driving. The engine noise is a pretty nice "purr" and once you've been driving for 5-10min you don't even notice it.

I actually almost love the fact that it only has 5 gears. If it had 6 I would be in sixth on the highway, but then I wouldn't have that "instantaneous" throttle response that you get when in 5th on the highway. Driving this thing on the highway is sooo much more pleasurable then any other car. i just have to watch out cause i've found myself getting in excess of 90-95mph while passing someone without even realizing it simply because the throttle response is so smooth and instantaneous at 80mph.

I love the 5-speed. The 6-speed MR will probably be my next car in 6-7 years when I'm a bit older and looking to have an awesome performance car and a non stick DD. but for now, at 23 years old, rowing through gears is AWESOME and i think the car is perfectly geared for what it is.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Rowing through gears is fun. Clicking through them is fast.

In the 1999 world rally championship, the Subaru world rally team car featured an electronically controlled, hydraulically actuated semi-automatic transmission with a drive-by-wire throttle, allowing the cars to be shifted with steering wheel mounted paddles, similar to F1 cars. This allowed the driver to shift gears faster, and reduced the chance of dog gear wear.

Subaru was the first rally team to implement this technology, which is now used on all WRC cars.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_World_Rally_Team
Old Jul 21, 2008, 03:25 PM

I was able to test drive an MR last month and I was so impressed w/ the tranny that I purchased one on the spot. The normal mode hold the RPM better than most automatic trans, the Sport mode is incredible, and the S Sport mode is ... well I will have to wait for this weekend's track day to find out.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

The sequential tranny used in race cars (such as rally, le mans etc) is not the same as the MR ones right? Aren't those the ultimate tranny interms of performance? Also you should be using dogbox if you want ultimate strength.

Quick Reply: MR Trans is worth every penny!