Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

MR Trans is worth every penny!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2008, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although my X has not been to the track yet, all my previous cars have. I have enough track and auto-x experience to have a valid opinion, but I've never claimed to be a pro driver. This is really irrelivant though, as the point of this discussion is to compare levels of driver involvement with a true manual vs auto-manual, not to compare levels of driver skill. Either way, I've driven many, many cars in both tip tronic style trannies and manuals and I've always prefered the manual.

Now I know that the twin cluch setups are a lot better than tip tronic cars, but from a driver involvement point of view they are the same; no clutch and no stick. It's just a preference issue, and if it doesn't have a clutch and a stick then it is less involving and thus boring to me. Don't be offended though, why should it matter what I think? If you like your MR then that's what matters. I'm just some guy on the internet, right?

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Aug 4, 2008 at 03:08 PM. Reason: typo
Old Aug 4, 2008, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Trouble
Just a summary:

Fastest transmission currently? Sequential dogbox with dual clutch (very different from production sequentials)

You want to be fast on track? Buy a used F1 car and mod it.

You want pure fun? Get a kit car, ie Ariel Atom, Caterham etc.

Also, heel-toe doesn't involve much skill, its kinda like double kick in drumming. It looks very fancy and challenging at first, but once you pick up (if you concentrate hard enough, it should take less than a week to pick up, and couple months to master), you have it forever. Much more challenging than selecting your own gear is the selection of risk you take at each given moment.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say you've never driven a car on a track.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

^ I'll step out on that limb with you and agree.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 04:21 PM

I currently have an 8 MR and I drove the X MR 3 days ago. I have been going back and forth with keeping my 8, getting a X GSR, and waiting for the X MR. After driving the X MR, I would definately get a GSR. I was totally unimpressed with the new trans and I don't think the MR is worth the extra money. I kept waiting for it to shift in sport mode and wondering if something was wrong. It's a quick automatic, but it feels so much slower than the older Evos that it was a big disappointment. In 2005 I felt that the MR was good enough to spend the extra money. I just don't feel the same now. An auto Evo? It just feels all wrong and the paddle shifters are useless. If I go X, it's GSR all the way. I understand plenty of people love the new tranny, and to each his own. I just can't get over driving an Evo without the shifting. The only thing I will say for the X MR is that it is a more comfortable and refined ride, but neither of those were factors in me buying an Evo in the first place so who cares.

Last edited by MRedition05; Aug 4, 2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by MRedition05
I currently have an 8 MR and I drove the X MR 3 days ago. I have been going back and forth with keeping my 8, getting a X GSR, and waiting for the X MR. After driving the X MR, I would definately get a GSR. I was totally unimpressed with the new trans and I don't think the MR is worth the extra money. I kept waiting for it to shift in sport mode and wondering if something was wrong. It's a quick automatic, but it feels so much slower than the older Evos that it was a big disappointment. In 2005 I felt that the MR was good enough to spend the extra money. I just don't feel the same now. An auto Evo? It just feels all wrong and the paddle shifters are useless. If I go X, it's GSR all the way. I understand plenty of people love the new tranny, and to each his own. I just can't get over driving an Evo without the shifting. The only thing I will say for the X MR is that it is a more comfortable and refined ride, but neither of those were factors in me buying an Evo in the first place so who cares.
I've read all the bs on the MR. Just got mine tuned after running the Glen. I've been tracking for about 7 yrs. and let me tell you I couldn't be caught by anyone in my group except a modded Porche and M3 both with R compound tires. That was before the mod by Ivy. I doubt either of those two cars could keep up with me now even with their R compound. As to the shifting, even the instructor who went out with me to see the car in action, he races F1 and instructs at the exclusive Montecello track said that this MR shifted faster and smoother then the F1's. Now that's from a REAL race car driver not wanna be's! I took Ivy out for a short run and he was amazed at the lightning speed of the tranny. Whether one wants "involvement " or not is not the issue. It's the fun and we all have different ideas of fun. Just enjoy and be safe.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

I have road race experiences and go-kart experiences but no auto-x. Seriously, what is the big challenge of pressing on to the brake, then use your heel to blip the throttle and shift every time you reach the highest mph point of lower gear? There are only three important factors, #1 getting used to heel-toe position and modulation, #2 getting used to the clutch release point and the speed for each gear when modulating heel-toe, #3 getting comfortable doing it for more than one gear

What is more challenging are things like getting the perfect braking point, being able to control the situation when you are in a crowd (getting a quick grasp of how each car might behave, bump tap whom to make your way etc), turns involving varying elevations and so on.

I judge someone from their reflex, throttle control, duration taken to get comfortable with new cars and tracks etc. I've never seen anyone make comment like 'Petter Solberg is a great driver because he is really good at heel-toe'
Old Aug 4, 2008, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

and the type of transmission I am talking about is like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgy9vc4rf90
Old Aug 4, 2008, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
I'm actually going to disagree with you on that. The tc sst has been hailed as one of the best of it's kind, being far superior to audi's dsg and on par with ferrari's newest forms of the unit. Mitubishi as a company knows how to build a turbo engine better than about anyone else, and to say that mitsu has half the intelligence of vw is both ignorant and flat out wrong. As much as I prefer a manual tranny is doesn't mean that I don't respect the SST, and judging from your comments you should probably go do some research about it before making comments like that.

well i dont know about that, i mean i like mitsubishi, but quality is the last thing they worry about... i have taken a ride in the MR and yes it is way more fun than the GTI, but it has 100 more horses.. the SST isnt as smooth as the DSG during hard acceleration either... i think that the SST is nice, but its just kind of not quite there yet... i would definately wait a year or two before i messed with the MR...
Old Aug 4, 2008, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

I test drove the MR... with my dad we both love it... I think its kinda fun with the paddle shifters very ferrari like
Old Aug 4, 2008, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

I just noticed today that the MR tranny is made in Germany and the GSR's is made in Japan.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
does the ferrari f430 have the same type of tranny as a dual clutch system automated?
Old Aug 5, 2008, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by ResourceX
I've read all the bs on the MR. Just got mine tuned after running the Glen. I've been tracking for about 7 yrs. and let me tell you I couldn't be caught by anyone in my group except a modded Porche and M3 both with R compound tires. That was before the mod by Ivy. I doubt either of those two cars could keep up with me now even with their R compound. As to the shifting, even the instructor who went out with me to see the car in action, he races F1 and instructs at the exclusive Montecello track said that this MR shifted faster and smoother then the F1's. Now that's from a REAL race car driver not wanna be's! I took Ivy out for a short run and he was amazed at the lightning speed of the tranny. Whether one wants "involvement " or not is not the issue. It's the fun and we all have different ideas of fun. Just enjoy and be safe.

Umm, ok. Let me tell you something in return: I don't like the car. I'm not the guy on here talking about driver involvement or track racing. I could care less about either, since I don't race on a track. I just stated that the car feels wrong to me from a normal, everyday Evo driver who just goes to the store and to work. I don't know why a "REAL race car driver" would care about my opinion, and I'm not a race driver "wanna be". So, now that we have the REAL driver opinion, I still stand by my NORMAL guy gut feeling. I don't think that car is woth 40k of my hard earned money, but I'm not bashing you for buying one. I don't race my Evo 8 on a track and if I got a X MR, I still wouldn't race it on a track. The OP was about the new tranny being worth the money. For me, it just isn't. No offense implied. I'm sure your F1 instructrors car is worth the money he paid for it as well, but since I don't race it wouldn't be to me. Forgive me for giving the opinion of a normal consumer.... oh wait, we count for almost all the Evo sales. Oh, and the OP was just some normal dude who test drove it and liked it. I'm just a normal dude who test drove it and didn't. Does that make me wrong?

Last edited by MRedition05; Aug 5, 2008 at 09:43 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 12:05 AM

I wonder how retarded some of these commenters feel now that Kozmic is making 900+whp from the SST(with upgraded clutches) with ease? I just had to bump this thread from the dead. The manual elitists in here made me LOL.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by MRKevo
I wonder how retarded some of these commenters feel now that Kozmic is making 900+whp from the SST(with upgraded clutches) with ease? I just had to bump this thread from the dead. The manual elitists in here made me LOL.
900hp 'easily' with just clutch packs

lol k - you sound as bad as some of the posts.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 05:37 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Some of these posts are hilarious.

Quick Reply: MR Trans is worth every penny!