Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Problems with tinting windows?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2009, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 628
Yeah I found out trimming the weatherstrip is the only 100% guaranteed-no-scratches solution.

But the downside to doing this is there's a chance of losing the air-tight seal. I chose not to do this, as a scratched tint will always be better in my mind than wind noise.
Ok, so is the moleskin not supposed to work or what? There are so many conflicting experiences here it seems. I just ordered the moleskin this morning.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 03:10 PM
NMX

Originally Posted by Excalibur
Ok, so is the moleskin not supposed to work or what? There are so many conflicting experiences here it seems. I just ordered the moleskin this morning.
The moleskin prevents scratches for me, but I have another problem. The glue is coming off once in a while when it's warm out, and gets on the tint. I can remove it using bug and tar remover, but it's getting annoying. Some people claim the tintprotector.com stuff won't leave glue residue, but I've also heard of some people whose tintprotector glue came off too. So I don't know what to do anymore...I just live with having a bit of the glue streaks on the tint, and clean it up once in a while...
Old Mar 1, 2009, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NMX
The moleskin prevents scratches for me, but I have another problem. The glue is coming off once in a while when it's warm out, and gets on the tint. I can remove it using bug and tar remover, but it's getting annoying. Some people claim the tintprotector.com stuff won't leave glue residue, but I've also heard of some people whose tintprotector glue came off too. So I don't know what to do anymore...I just live with having a bit of the glue streaks on the tint, and clean it up once in a while...
Is there a way to use less glue? What do you use to clean it with since you aren't supposed to use anything with certain chemicals on the tint?
Old Mar 1, 2009, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Felt (whether Moleskin...or whatever) is like hit or miss. It either works or it doesn't. It didn't work for me and my Evo.

I had a 2008 Lancer before the Evo though, and the felt worked perfect.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

cops.....lol
Old Mar 2, 2009, 06:24 AM
NMX

Originally Posted by Excalibur
Is there a way to use less glue? What do you use to clean it with since you aren't supposed to use anything with certain chemicals on the tint?
The adhesive is already on the back of the moleskin, and it goes on like a sticker. So there is no way to use less glue. One thought I had was to put it further in (so it's not so close to the edge where it contacts the window). That might help. I use bug and tar remover made for cleaning vehicle paint with clear coats. Haven't seemed to have a problem yet, and it's the only way I've found to easily remove the glue residue.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

What NMX said above is the key. It's important to install the Tint Protector moleskin away from the edge of the weather strip. You won't see any glue on your window if you install it right.

It's all in the installation. My Acura TL has lasted almost 5 years now with the tint protector moleskin without any glue on the window and no scratches.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 08:34 AM

My question is why didn't Mitsu put felt. Is there an advantage not putting the felt?
Old Mar 2, 2009, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

The manufacturers don't put the felt on to save money. Only around 15% of auto owners tint their windows.

It's worth it to install the Tint Protector kit. Tint streaks suck and make the car look horrible.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by 628
Yeah I found out trimming the weatherstrip is the only 100% guaranteed-no-scratches solution.

But the downside to doing this is there's a chance of losing the air-tight seal. I chose not to do this, as a scratched tint will always be better in my mind than wind noise.
It's true it increases the wind noise slightly, but I didn't find it excessive. Good thing to point out.
Old May 21, 2009, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

What about water getting into your door panel? Woundnt that happen without any weather strip seal?
Old May 21, 2009, 12:42 PM

i did my windows and the installer took off all the door panels so he could tint the windows as low as possible... than he used the felt... came out good....
Old Jun 23, 2009, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Red Dragon
Cool!
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:35 AM

I wonder if its worth paying my local tint shop $100 extra on the tint job to just do their moleskin install.....at least then I can take it back for glue/scratching issues. Anyone have their local shop install moleskins for them?
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by thevidon
I wonder if its worth paying my local tint shop $100 extra on the tint job to just do their moleskin install.....at least then I can take it back for glue/scratching issues. Anyone have their local shop install moleskins for them?
Your tint will ruin/scratch if you do not put the moleskin on. Dont pay $100 for it though. It is a easy install buy it for $26 bucks and do it yourself in 30 minutes.

Quick Reply: Problems with tinting windows?