Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Problems with tinting windows?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2010, 02:35 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Burningcoals
My 2010 definately has felt on the inside of the weather strips. My tinter didnt have to install any felt. I just got me EVO X a week ago.

No scratching happening at all.
takes a couple weeks to start if it does.
my 2010 MR T has felt as per my tint guy, he also cut the inner rubber piece too.

Old Aug 7, 2010, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by navidf
My tinter said these cars do not have felt to protect against scratching as window goes up and down and had to install felt liners to prevent scratching.
this is true right here. if you roll your window all the way down and put your finger in between the outside and inner rubber you can see on the 08's they are pure hard rubber. on my '10 they've fixed it and there is indeed felt lining the hard rubber. i know they fixed this half-way through the '09 model year because i had an earlier '09 gts a while back and it didn't have it, although my friend's later model '09 gts had it. this is why you're getting the scratches so just get felt put onto them
Old Aug 14, 2010, 09:27 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lancerarmstrong
this is why you're getting the scratches so just get felt put onto them
or just cut them off, next thing you know he want to remove the inner panels etc. why extra cost when you can just cut them off?
i say **** the mole skins
Old Aug 14, 2010, 09:57 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Woah nice avatar there Mr. Evo MR... you know that's the back of my car right
Old Aug 16, 2010, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm I've had my tint on for a months and this hasn't happened yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

the tint on my 2010 MR -Touring hasn't scratched yet. Don't know if i have the "felt" or not , but no problems with tint on my car.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mr evo is an avatar stealer!
Old Aug 16, 2010, 09:28 AM
EvoM Community Team

My tint on my car hasn't scratched yet either. I have the felt. There were times where I thought it was scratched, but it was just adhesive from the felt. Some glass cleaner and elbow grease got rid of it.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:21 PM

i just got my windows tinted friday and still havent rolled them down... hearing all of this is scaring me haha. Fingers crossed for no scratching on roll down day
Old Aug 16, 2010, 01:03 PM
EvoM Community Team

BTW, if you got Suntek and they were installed with felt, they have a lifetime warranty against scratches, peeling and fading. Your installer will have to replace them for free if they get damaged.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

Sadly my tint is scratching. Thinking about getting the felt strips put on so it doesnt scratch worse
Old Sep 1, 2010, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

im getting sunteks put on friday so i put the tintprotector on just now, i took my time and it took no longer than 1.5 hours. i couldve done it faster but i wanted to make sure i did it right. just gotta make sure that the edge of the moleskin is just below the edge of the window strip or eventually itll come off from constant agitation
Old Nov 4, 2010, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but.. I just had my windows tinted and I even had the moleskin installed while doing it and its still scratching. I took it to my tinter on my lunch break today, he said that he noticed my gaskets were messed up, like the windows had been tinted before and removed or something.. He also mentioned the tintprotector.com moleskin kit I ordered wasnt worth a damn even though it comes highly recommended on this site. He said the felt was extremely hard for felt.

Anyway, I called the stealership and ordered new "belted gaskets" as the dude called them. 20 bucks a pop. You guys say mitsu fixed this around mid 09? I asked the guy if they had and if so could I get the 10 part with the felt, and he said the part# had been updated in like july of this year, but it didnt say anythign about felt. I hope to god they are felted.

Atleast my tinter was cool, told me to bring him those new gaskets and he'd replace the entire window that got scratched for free.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MR. EVO MR
takes a couple weeks to start if it does.
my 2010 MR T has felt as per my tint guy, he also cut the inner rubber piece too.
I think it's easier and better for the car to just install the Tint Protector Kit and don't cut any moldings off.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

is this when the windows are open?

Quick Reply: Problems with tinting windows?