Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

How Much for a new Evo / Is this a good deal? *Sticky/Merge* (Includes EvoM vendors)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2014, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmichetti
Why are people paying so much for used evo's I just bought a 2014 Brand new for 32k plus taxes and everything of course
Mine has every option you can get on it, and 1 owner w/ no mods. Built a similar one online for 44k.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jmichetti
Why are people paying so much for used evo's I just bought a 2014 Brand new for 32k plus taxes and everything of course
Evo prices fluctuate greatly depending on your location and the supply around that location. I had to drive 5 hours to get my Evo cause none of the local dealerships were willing to play. Infact, only one of them even had an Evo in stock.

Originally Posted by thegoodservant
Credit unions are almost always the best rate. 700 plus credit score should make it really easy to get a loan regardless of minimal credit history. I highly recommend going to a CU or bank first and get a pre approval. A dealership will still want to find you a different loan but you will have a baseline rate and terms so the dealership can't screw you there.
That being said 20 year olds shouldn't have Evo's.
20 year olds shouldn't buy "new" cars. It's a financial mistake. Either way, wish you well in your endeavors.
I believe he is trying to get a used Evo.

I have personally watched 2 family members with 700+ credit, get turned down at dealerships because of their lack of credit. Maybe there was other things considered? Not sure.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 04:37 AM
DGS
Evolving Member

Young people who want "flash rides" are where the lenders (and insurance companies) make their money.

In the case of insurance companies, it also costs them money.

Your insurance rates drop significantly at age 25 and at age 30.
Now I know that five years seems like an eternity to a 19 year old.
But if you're busy enough to afford an EVO, the time will pass quickly.

There's a reason the rates drop as you get older: Experience.

When you're young and you get a hot sports car early, you find yourself running out of talent before you run out of traction.
An EVO isn't going to turn you into Paul Walker. (And look what happened to him.)

You don't want to dump all of your money into a flash car.
You might even find something else you want to spend money on.
Like girls.
(Or moving out of your parents' basement, so you have more luck with girls. )

I jumped in the hole early and bought a new Alfa Romeo when I was 24. Fortunately, I only got reamed by the insurance for six months before I turned 25.
But I got reamed by the payments for five years.
(It didn't matter to the bank or the insurance company that I'd been driving in competitive rallye for a few years.)
(And compared to race tracks, public roads are *scary*. You have to have the experience to cope with other drivers who aren't paying attention.)

And I can tell you from experience: the girls you can get just by having a flash ride are girls you don't want.

Moreover, being able to wring out a less capable machine will make you a better driver, and better able to handle a machine with extreme limits.

If you've never driven anything but the family SUV before, you'll want to start smaller.
A car like the EVO can let you get away with bad habits without doing anything to correct them.

A mechanic once asked me why I keep the Alfa when I have the Ferrari, and that's the answer: refresher training. The Ferrari and EVO will mask mistakes the Alfa will point out.

You might want to look into an old Fiat 124 or X1/9 as a weekend car to get your feet wet.
Or even look at a somewhat tail happy BRZ or one of the other Toyota 86 variants.

Or you might even look into a fun weekend car and a big old sedan or wagon as a daily -- so you learn how to park in tight spaces.

Like I tell the guys on the Ferrari list: it's not about speed. It's about precision. Get the precision down, and speed will take care of itself, with practice.

Besides: Doesn't Maryland execute you for five over the limit?
And every time I see someone blocking the left lane in VA, they usually have MD tags.

But if you do decide to jump into a car at a dealership, having your bank and credit union rates in hand will help you get a better rate at the dealer.
I got a significant discount from the dealer when I bought my EVO VIII back in '03 by having my bank rate lined up.
(Of course, I was *much* older than 19 at the time. )

But a thin credit history will work against you. I got reamed on rates when I bought a Celica GT-Four back in '88 because I'd been paying cash for my cars for a while, and my mortgage was through a credit union that didn't report to the credit bureaus.

I know that young people don't value experience, but business people do.
(I also threw a shock through the hood of my Fiat on a rally, from not having the experience to deal with sand on the tarmac apex. I had to finish the stage on three wheels.)

Last edited by DGS; Mar 23, 2014 at 04:59 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:32 AM

you might have to do a hefty down payment as a first time buyer
Old Mar 24, 2014, 04:29 AM

Moving out of your parents house > Evo. /Thread
Old Mar 24, 2014, 05:20 AM

Going for a new Evo x

Heading up to the dealership in a few days to talk pricing for a 2014 Evo GSR w/ handling package. Checking on the website with all taxes and what not added it totals up to $52,794.16 (Canadian). What can I expect from here as a back and forth? How much do dealerships tend to wanna bend for such a car?.
thanks guys
Old Mar 25, 2014, 07:14 PM

I think credit scores are based on 3 tiers. Based on your score, you should probably be in tier 2. Plus, they also consider whether you have credit history of paying a loan for at least 6 or 12 consecutive months.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WinkleDinkle
Moving out of your parents house > Evo. /Thread
If I cant even get approved for a small car loan, how could I get approved for a house? Please don't say go rent a place because that's just throwing money away.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:39 PM

BACKGROUND INFORMATION:
-I want to lease an Evo GSR
-With sunroof, leather (SSL), ans navi
-Have been quoted MSRP $42,000, want to lease for 36 months, live in southern california. Want to put minimal down
-I got quoted 650/month with zero (or minimal) down, for 36 months.
- PERFECT CREDIT!

I think this is a very high price.

MY QUESTIONS:
-HOW MUCH SHOULD THE $$ MSRP OF A EVO GSR WITH SUNROOF LEATHER(SSL), and NAVI COST? $$??
-WHAT IS A GOOD DEAL ON THE MSRP??
-WHAT IS THE LOWEST MONTHLY PAYMENT I CAN GET ON A 36 MONTH LEASE WITH MINIMAL DOWN (PERFECT CREDIT)
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:00 AM

how much should i pay for GSR WITH SSL LEASE 36

BACKGROUND INFORMATION:
-I want to lease an Evo GSR
-With sunroof, leather (SSL), and navi
-Have been quoted MSRP $42,000, want to lease for 36 months, live in southern california. Want to put minimal down
-I got quoted 650/month with zero (or minimal) down, for 36 months.
- PERFECT CREDIT!

I think this is a very high price.

MY QUESTIONS:
-HOW MUCH SHOULD THE $$ MSRP OF A EVO GSR WITH SUNROOF LEATHER(SSL), and NAVI COST? $$??
-WHAT IS A GOOD DEAL ON THE MSRP??
-WHAT IS THE LOWEST MONTHLY PAYMENT I CAN GET ON A 36 MONTH LEASE WITH MINIMAL DOWN (PERFECT CREDIT)
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:23 AM

I tried to lease one last may. They have a special going on still. It's like $3500 down and $279 a month. I didn't get approved either. I talked to the finance manager and he said you have to have flawless credit to get approved for mitsubishi promo rates. The pices I was given was the same as yours. $650/month.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by AlexDRS94
If I cant even get approved for a small car loan, how could I get approved for a house? Please don't say go rent a place because that's just throwing money away.
It isn't a waste of money because you aren't burdening your parents with housing a grown man for free. Not to mention the freedom and responsibility of being an actual grown up. You cannot afford an Evo, your parents can.

40k/yr is barely enough to rent a 1 br in MD (exceptions are the Eastern Shore and Western MD). I would know because I was making about the same and living on my own at your age (Not all of us have parents willing to house adults for free).

I'm not saying I wouldn't do the same thing in your situation but why not just save your money. You will never have an opportunity to save money like this ever again. Save up a good 40-50k in the bank and put it down on a house in a few years. If you want to talk about throwing money away. If I would have saved all of the money I threw at cars in my younger years (I am only 26 now) I could have bought a house way sooner than I did.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 07:39 AM

Hi there

I have wanted an Evo for YEARS and I am finally thinking about pulling the trigger on one.

One of my local dealers has a nicely equipped GSR coming in. MSRP is $39,735 and the "internet special" is $37,810. What's the best price you think I could get?

For reference they have 3 other GSRs and an MR, and another dealership in town has a couple GSRs as well, so we are not starved for new Evos to keep the price up

Thanks!
Old Mar 31, 2014, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Are evos more in demand in the eastern part of the country? I have been looking for an used X for quite some time, and most of the cars that show up on autotrader that meet my criteria (<30k miles) seem to be out in the west. Not only that, none of the dealers (in the eastern part of country) I've contacted would budge on their price. AND their cars were gone in a week.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Prime12
Are evos more in demand in the eastern part of the country? I have been looking for an used X for quite some time, and most of the cars that show up on autotrader that meet my criteria (<30k miles) seem to be out in the west. Not only that, none of the dealers (in the eastern part of country) I've contacted would budge on their price. AND their cars were gone in a week.
, well I thought I saw many more EVOs in CA than any where else in this country.
I live in San Gabriel/ Monterey park area, you can't believe how many Evos you can see during the weekends.
I think it is just the supply here is plenty so the price wouldn't be as high as other states.
I think people get rid of their car fast here as well, so used car are cheaper compared to other states.
But do keep looking, man.
I used to sell my 08 MR 2 years ago in Omaha, Nebraska and they priced my car for sale at 25k after I traded it in. The car had 50k miles on it. I thought it was still pretty good deal in that area. Or just buy one from California, and ship it / drive it to where you are.

Quick Reply: How Much for a new Evo / Is this a good deal? *Sticky/Merge* (Includes EvoM vendors)