Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

How Much for a new Evo / Is this a good deal? *Sticky/Merge* (Includes EvoM vendors)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2014, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChUt26
Even with that high of a credit score you might be hard pressed on getting a loan by yourself with such little credit history. I've found better rates financing through the dealer itself, but your mileage my vary. What I would do is get pre-approved by a bank or credit union before you even step foot in a dealership, and use that to get you a better in house rate. I did that with my previous car, and walked out with a full percent lower APR (was under 2% for a 4 year old car at the time).

If you wanna boost your score I would recommend 1-2 credit cards. Revolving credit helps your score if you can get a reasonable credit limit.
I have multiple credit card accounts and have never missed a payment. 6 accounts to be exact. Are there any additional fees when buying a used car? Like what more is added to the final price other than the sticker price?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whoever told you not to go to credit unions is retarded. I'm 24 and financed my evo through my credit union at a 3% interest rate. Dealers and non credit unions wanted a much higher interest rate.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 08:55 PM

I'd never buy from a dealer....
Old Mar 17, 2014, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

How much is insurance gonna run ya?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 03:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by thorracing160
I'd never buy from a dealer....
I was looking at a few of the Xs that are for sale here on the forums and they have a lot better deals than anywhere I've seen.

Originally Posted by vanilla2
How much is insurance gonna run ya?
Hadn't even checked lol. I'll get a quote later on today to see how much it would be
Old Mar 18, 2014, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by ChUt26
Even with that high of a credit score you might be hard pressed on getting a loan by yourself with such little credit history. I've found better rates financing through the dealer itself, but your mileage my vary. What I would do is get pre-approved by a bank or credit union before you even step foot in a dealership, and use that to get you a better in house rate. I did that with my previous car, and walked out with a full percent lower APR (was under 2% for a 4 year old car at the time).

If you wanna boost your score I would recommend 1-2 credit cards. Revolving credit helps your score if you can get a reasonable credit limit.
^^This. I had around a 760 score, multiple credit cards and paid off student loans when I was your age and still needed a co-signer. Having a co-signer can significantly affect your rates, so I'd get that figured out first and go from there.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 04:56 AM
Evolved Member

Yep, just as others have said. The financial institutions take more than your current score into account.

My score was less than yours. I rolled over a significant amount of negative equity when I bought my car. Even with a score of less than 700, I was financed at under 3% and put $0 down. They didn't even ask if I was employed. All they needed was my signature.

Based on what you have told us, I think you are going to need a cosigner. And make sure you get insurance quotes first
Old Mar 18, 2014, 05:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by adamsheehy
^^This. I had around a 760 score, multiple credit cards and paid off student loans when I was your age and still needed a co-signer. Having a co-signer can significantly affect your rates, so I'd get that figured out first and go from there.
Would it help if the account my parents put me on was a 13 year old account? It increased my credit score just because of that and it increased my avg time of having an account open too.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AlexDRS94
Would it help if the account my parents put me on was a 13 year old account? It increased my credit score just because of that and it increased my avg time of having an account open too.
It will and has helped increase your score. But they will still look at YOUR credit history, not your parents long standing credit card account.

They factor in a lot of things. You are not applying for a credit card here (revolving credit). You are trying to get a loan on a car which is non-revolving or installment credit.

I have seen a handful of friends and family have pretty good credit scores but get turned down on car loans because lack of non-revolving credit history. Some of these people were much older than you and had a revolving credit history for a longer period of time as well.

I am not a financial advisor or anything but you may need a co-signer. I'm just not sure if the banks will offer a car loan on someone so young and who has no credit history when it comes to installment purchases.

Also, it sounds like your parents added you as an authorized user on that account you are speaking of. If so, then technically you do not have a revolving account either. Unless the credit card company sent you paperwork that you signed, taking responsibility of the account as well?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 07:24 AM

Hey everyone, I just had a few questions about buying a car from a dealership. I have a vague idea of it but just want to get some clarification. First off is financing. So right now I'm 19 and I plan to buy the car on my 20th birthday this year. I started building my credit almost a year ago. I had my parents put me on one of their small loans and that boosted me up when they paid it off Completely. I currently have a credit score of over 700 and fluctuates between 700-750. What kind of interest rates should I be able to get? Should I go straight to a dealer for financing or go to a credit union or other banks to compare rates? I've heard that going to a credit union is bs, so should I even go try at one? Thanks in advance.

I shopped around a bit before purchasing my Evo X. I am a good bit older but I had great success with my credit union. Their interest rate was 5% lower than the used car dealers I dealt with. If you have access to credit union, I'd give them a shot.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Just shop around. I went to a credit union they gave me 2.89% I went to Bank of America they gave me the same thing and were a million times easier to work with. Get pre approved first though and go from there.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for all the answers guys. I'll try at a credit union first then at bank of america (thats my primary bank). Do you guys think its better to buy the car from a dealer or private seller? Btw I got a quote from geico for a 08 X and they want $600 a month. Mainly because I don't have a car under my name, hence no driving record even though I've had my license for almost 3 years and have never been pulled over. The more I look into this more my hopes go down of owning an X. I know its mainly because of my age
Old Mar 18, 2014, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Check other insurance companies. I had geico and switched to state farm and it went waaaaaay down on rates.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 09:57 AM

Thanks for all the answers guys. I'll try at a credit union first then at bank of america (thats my primary bank). Do you guys think its better to buy the car from a dealer or private seller? Btw I got a quote from geico for a 08 X and they want $600 a month. Mainly because I don't have a car under my name, hence no driving record even though I've had my license for almost 3 years and have never been pulled over. The more I look into this more my hopes go down of owning an X. I know its mainly because of my age
I'd honestly wait. I was in your position at 19 (I don't know your income/work history) But I wanted an Evo 8/9 but just couldn't afford it. I could do the monthly payment but other costs would have made me in the negatives. Maintenance is another cost to add into owning these cars on top of insurance/gas/car payment. Just make sure you are financially secure before biting the bullet. You're young, plan for the future not for what you want right now.

I'm now 27 and just got into my first Evo, a brand new X. And I am able to pay bills, and buy mods monthly (if I wanted to) with no problems/worries about money left over ect. And in my opinion I'll take that 10 year wait and the feeling of being financially secure over owning an evo anyday.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

I qualified for my used car loan at a local Credit Union for 60 months @ 1.99. I asked them to match 1.79 from PenFed and they did after I showed them my PenFed registeration ($20 fee).

So happy I went to my CU instead of my bank or dealer. I'll do this from now on before I walk into a dealership to buy a car.

Quick Reply: How Much for a new Evo / Is this a good deal? *Sticky/Merge* (Includes EvoM vendors)